Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

Thanks you for the quick response. Where and what can i get to study up to take the written test for the permit with the 2 endorsements (book or something they give out at the DMV?). If you could tell me a little about what you remember from it and how many questions, how many allowed wrong etc. I may need to freshen up a little but if its a lot of basic knowledge then maybe i could go in there and wing it. Thanks again.

You can pick up a free copy of the NYS CDL manual at your local DMV. Just ask for it at the counter and they will give it to you.

You can also take practice cdl tests online. go here:

http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/

Whenever you think you are ready take the 3 written tests. General Knowledge,Air brakes,Passenger. General Knowledge is the hardest(50 questions). If you fail any one of those tests,you have to come back another day. Pass them all,they give you a quick eye exam and you will bring home an interim cdl permit until you get your photo cdl permit in the mail in about 5-10 days. Good luck.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Locomotion, I'm going to pick that up as soon as possible. That was way more info than i expected(Excellent). Thank God i found this forum or i wouldnt know what to do.

You could always cry and ask why me, why does thou lord(s) punish thou so???????

You could always print the CDL stuff from the DMV website. You will need to print sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, and 13: Here you go: http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/cdlmanual.htm........Just click on the section you need and print them. It will be in PDF format........

i got an 88 on the exam....i know all goes according to a list number...think i will be called by early next year for the next step with this score or is this score considered low and i shall be waiting for years?

That is a great score. I got an 85. I don't think you will have a very long wait at all. The highest score from anybody who has posted in here so far is a 92. It has been a little over 2 months since we took the test. They say we will get our list numbers anytime up to a year from the date of the exam.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the last exam (5025), The highest score I believe was a 97.5. Someone who scored a 92 has a list number of 127. I scored an 83.75 and my list number was 825. So if your above a 90, expect to be called real fast. 85-90 would have to wait about 1-3 months after they take the people who scored above a 90. 80-85 is another 1-3 months after they take the 85-90 people. SO on and so forth. Just remember, this all depends on how quick they call people. My calling chart would have been dead accurate if they would not have held the list every 3 classes.

According to the last exam (5025), The highest score I believe was a 97.5. Someone who scored a 92 has a list number of 127. I scored an 83.75 and my list number was 825. So if your above a 90, expect to be called real fast. 85-90 would have to wait about 1-3 months after they take the people who scored above a 90. 80-85 is another 1-3 months after they take the 85-90 people. SO on and so forth. Just remember, this all depends on how quick they call people. My calling chart would have been dead accurate if they would not have held the list every 3 classes.

Hey Chris, good to hear from you again..

Will they have to be done with the 5025 list before DCAS sends out the list #'s from the 8006 test?

Thanks

when we ask to go to queens most of us picked casey stengal after that we could not transfer they told us anymore they said we were locked in for life and after we found about there where more white shirts and supervisors there with bad attitudes a lot of knew we made a bad choice:(:(

Who said the Cs has so much supervision with bad attitudes?

What list did you come off and how long are you there?

• 4 months later...
JAMAR: Your calculations are wrong. You scored an 83.75, assuming you got 13 wrong. I got 13 wrong when I took the test, and my list number was 825. It took them 3 months to call me, AFTER THEY STARTED THE LIST. So lets say they start the list January 1st 2009, You should get a call anywhere from March 1- june 1, depending on your list number.

Thanks Chris! You're right LOL! I haven't been in the forums for months! I'm having ruff patch right now being that I'm unemployed at the moment. I have my CDL B permit with P&N endorsements. I have taken the point reduction in June 08'. It will come off my license on may 3rd 09'. I pray that I'm not called until then! I REALLY NEED THIS JOB!:)

I have my CDL B permit with P&N endorsements. I have taken the point reduction in June 08'. It will come off my license on may 3rd 09'. I pray that I'm not called until then! I REALLY NEED THIS JOB

I'm referring to the 6 points on my license from 2004. I wasn't convicted of them until may 3rd 2005. One was pavement marking which I admit, the other was a red light which was a lie! It was just turning yellow!!! Anyway, It will come off my license on may 3rd 2009:(

I have my CDL B permit with P&N endorsements. I have taken the point reduction in June 08'. It will come off my license on may 3rd 09'. I pray that I'm not called until then! I REALLY NEED THIS JOB

I'm referring to the 6 points on my license from 2004. I wasn't convicted of them until may 3rd 2005. One was pavement marking which I admit, the other was a red light which was a lie! It was just turning yellow!!! Anyway, It will come off my license on may 3rd 2009:(

Nobody is going to be called from #8006 next year,they haven't even mailed us our scores with list#'s. They have a couple of lists ahead of the #8006. Do you regret declining the Traffic Enforcement Agent position? You had a very low list # if I remember correctly. Yeah it seems like everybody declines that job,high stress,low pay,but it is better then being unemployed and living off your savings and or going into debt.

LOL, you're right! The reason why I declined the Traffic Enforcement was because they had put me on medical review. By the time they took me off, I was going to work for Waste Management. I thought that I would have been working as a helper on the garbage truck but it was a transfer station in the Bronx. That didn't work out for me because I asked for a transfer to Brooklyn to work on the truck for more money which is totally ok within company guide lines, only to be let go by them with no reason for doing so!!! They wouldn't tell me why they were letting me go! So now here I am unemployed dying for a job! Any idea when they will issue the list? Hope it's after 5/3/09 LOL!;)

LOL, you're right! The reason why I declined the Traffic Enforcement was because they had put me on medical review. By the time they took me off, I was going to work for Waste Management. I thought that I would have been working as a helper on the garbage truck but it was a transfer station in the Bronx. That didn't work out for me because I asked for a transfer to Brooklyn to work on the truck for more money which is totally ok within company guide lines, only to be let go by them with no reason for doing so!!! They wouldn't tell me why they were letting me go! So now here I am unemployed dying for a job! Any idea when they will issue the list? Hope it's after 5/3/09 LOL!;)

Didn't Action carting buy a lot of Waste Mgmt's accounts? I only applied online but from the job description for helpers it says you have to get on and get off the truck around 800 times a shift. So I figure they must work 8-10 hrs on a shift. If you are in the union you make very good money so I heard,the benefits isn't as good as DSNY though. How did you get the job at Waste mgmt? I figure the jobs working at the transfer stations are at the lower end of the pay scale right? Drivers make the most money right?

Our timing is off,if we had taken the previous bus operator exam in 2006,we would have been hired already. Did you take the DSNY exam 6063 in 2007?

They are supposed to issue the 8006 list sometime before next April. They say up to 1 year from when the exam was issued.

Didn't Action carting buy a lot of Waste Mgmt's accounts? I only applied online but from the job description for helpers it says you have to get on and get off the truck around 800 times a shift. So I figure they must work 8-10 hrs on a shift. If you are in the union you make very good money so I heard,the benefits isn't as good as DSNY though. How did you get the job at Waste mgmt? I figure the jobs working at the transfer stations are at the lower end of the pay scale right? Drivers make the most money right?

Our timing is off,if we had taken the previous bus operator exam in 2006,we would have been hired already. Did you take the DSNY exam 6063 in 2007?

They are supposed to issue the 8006 list sometime before next April. They say up to 1 year from when the exam was issued.

I got the job thru the website. It then said helper but was in fact laborer! Yes the pay is much lower for laborers as well! They don't have the same union as the drivers and driver helpers. Laborers pay is $10.90 hr and drivers is $24.00 hr to start with the driver helper starting at 17.00 hr! The trucks have 813 teamsters union! And yes Action did buy all of their trucking fleets in the city! They are also cheatin' the workers out of money at waste management! All of our job titles on the checks said sorter LOL! Sorters make $10.90 hr and Laborers are supposed to start at $12-$16 I was told by employees from another WM site! I'm no longer there so I don't care!

I got the job thru the website. It then said helper but was in fact laborer! Yes the pay is much lower for laborers as well! They don't have the same union as the drivers and driver helpers. Laborers pay is $10.90 hr and drivers is $24.00 hr to start with the driver helper starting at 17.00 hr! The trucks have 813 teamsters union! And yes Action did buy all of their trucking fleets in the city! They are also cheatin' the workers out of money at waste management! All of our job titles on the checks said sorter LOL! Sorters make $10.90 hr and Laborers are supposed to start at $12-$16 I was told by employees from another WM site! I'm no longer there so I don't care!

Thanks Jamar,that is good to know. That is quite a spread in terms of pay. But the drivers have to get out and help load right? Some of those sausage bags weigh over 80 lbs easily. I would only consider a private sanitation job if it was unionized(813 Teamsters). Otherwise like you said they will try to take advantage of you.

Thanks Jamar,that is good to know. That is quite a spread in terms of pay. But the drivers have to get out and help load right? Some of those sausage bags weigh over 80 lbs easily. I would only consider a private sanitation job if it was unionized(813 Teamsters). Otherwise like you said they will try to take advantage of you.

Exactly! Mr. T and IESI are two other private sanitation companies that treat their employees very good! Mr. T is also 813 teamsters union but I'm not quite sure what IESI's union is. Mr. T's drivers start at $24 hr. with the helpers at $20 hr. IESI's drivers also start at $24 hr. with the helpers at $18.90 hr. But Mr. T's helpers have to have a cdl b permit with "N" tanks endorsement. IESI no longer hire helpers from the outside anymore! They now hire helpers from within! But mind you, You will get a job very easily with private sanitation with or without Teamsters union if you have a CDL B with "N" Tanks endorsement! But they will demand experience driving a truck or bus! What you then do is work for another private sanitation company that you see working at night on or off the books! I'm about to do that with one but I will not state the company's name cuz that would bring them trouble! They will start you with $850-$900 per week if you have any sanitation experience LOL! It's off the books but hey, you're getting driving experience though! Try it, it's always work out there in private sanitation if you have a CDL B w/ N tanks! I'm about to get my license and do the same! P.S. Yeah, the drivers have to get out and help LOL!

Exactly! Mr. T and IESI are two other private sanitation companies that treat their employees very good! Mr. T is also 813 teamsters union but I'm not quite sure what IESI's union is. Mr. T's drivers start at $24 hr. with the helpers at $20 hr. IESI's drivers also start at $24 hr. with the helpers at $18.90 hr. But Mr. T's helpers have to have a cdl b permit with "N" tanks endorsement. IESI no longer hire helpers from the outside anymore! They now hire helpers from within! But mind you, You will get a job very easily with private sanitation with or without Teamsters union if you have a CDL B with "N" Tanks endorsement! But they will demand experience driving a truck or bus! What you then do is work for another private sanitation company that you see working at night on or off the books! I'm about to do that with one but I will not state the company's name cuz that would bring them trouble! They will start you with $850-$900 per week if you have any sanitation experience LOL! It's off the books but hey, you're getting driving experience though! Try it, it's always work out there in private sanitation if you have a CDL B w/ N tanks! I'm about to get my license and do the same! P.S. Yeah, the drivers have to get out and help LOL!

Thanks Jamar,very good info. I do have my CDL B with "N" endorsement,BUT I have no driving experience. I got my CDL B this past summer. I know that for insurance reasons they won't hire drivers unless they have at least 2 years of experience. Which is why I figured I would have a better chance of being hired as a helper. Do these companies hire part time as well? I know that they usually don't advertise these job openings in the newspaper,the easiest and fastest way to getting a job is through connections,word of mouth.

Good luck with your CDL road test when the time comes. One word of advice,take it in Red Hook if you can,avoid Maspeth,Queens at all costs. I am assuming that you will take it on a bus since you are on the #8006 list like me.

Thanks Jamar,very good info. I do have my CDL B with "N" endorsement,BUT I have no driving experience. I got my CDL B this past summer. I know that for insurance reasons they won't hire drivers unless they have at least 2 years of experience. Which is why I figured I would have a better chance of being hired as a helper. Do these companies hire part time as well? I know that they usually don't advertise these job openings in the newspaper,the easiest and fastest way to getting a job is through connections,word of mouth.

Good luck with your CDL road test when the time comes. One word of advice,take it in Red Hook if you can,avoid Maspeth,Queens at all costs. I am assuming that you will take it on a bus since you are on the #8006 list like me.

I took my road test for my license there as well LOL! Thanks for the heads up! As for part time work, I have no idea about that. The work is usually at night. If you wanna get some work until the 8006 comes around, go to Mr. T carting. http://www.mrtcarting.com/ ask for paulie. He doesn't know me as I was given his name by a driver. They are on the books with their union being local 813 Teamsters union! Helpers have to at least have a CDL B Permit and you might be able to get some work there. I heard that Paulie trains his new drivers so they may take you, I don't know. If you want the other company that's off the books, just pm me for the info. That's a good way to get experience in the meantime! IESI told me at least 6 months driving experience. BOTH of those companies are GREAT!

• 1 month later...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Why have the results from 8006 not come out yet I thinks that's some real bullshit cause correction came back very fast

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Why have the results from 8006 not come out yet I thinks that's some real bullshit cause correction came back very fast

How long ago was the test? It usually takes at least 1 year for the test to be certified.

Even when you call there is still no answer that's wack cause I did not write my answers down am such a jerk. LOL

Archived