The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are the D60HF's very old?

Nova's 90 was broken down into three groupings. 1 for each transmission and then the third for their electric cooling package.

It will be interesting to see how this testing plays out. I can't remember, how long will the testing be for?

Yes the first of the D60's are getting old (14-15 years old) and are up for retirement. As for testing, it is scheduled to span the entire year and end in November-December. I will be interested in seeing if there are any significant changes between pilot 0055 when it returns, and the rest of the Nova order.

Not to stray away from the upcoming orders, but where in the world are 0056 and 0057? Weren't we supposed to receive those as Xcelsior test buses? And where did 0058 go anyway? Last I heard it left UP.

I was told 0058 headed up to Zerega, and will be going back to NF for now.

As for 0056, and 0057, I have no idea. I have been hearing a couple different stories, but have yet to confirm anything. We had two 0054's, and both were Nova artics. I could see us demoing an XC60, and XD40. Either way, this is very interesting.

Does any one know which depots all of these test buses will go to? I guess these are all for NYCT?

You may want to browse through this thread and read some things. Most of the questions being asked, have been answered. Yes, they are all for NYCT supposedly, and will be going to Fresh Pond, Queens Village, and Ulmer Park as of right now.

Yes the first of the D60's are getting old (14-15 years old) and are up for retirement. As for testing, it is scheduled to span the entire year and end in November-December. I will be interested in seeing if there are any significant changes between pilot 0055 when it returns, and the rest of the Nova order.

My information indicates only minor changes: last 15 have LED headlights, all have display signs from Axion. Only major change is the Electric cooling instead of hydraulic on last 15. Oh yeah the wheel hubs will be painted NYC blue on all. I dont believe 0055 received any major modifications.

My information indicates only minor changes: last 15 have LED headlights, all have display signs from Axion. Only major change is the Electric cooling instead of hydraulic on last 15. Oh yeah the wheel hubs will be painted NYC blue on all. I dont believe 0055 received any major modifications.

Thanks, I can't wait to see them in service. Do you know if they will they have aluminum Alcoa wheels, our standard cast iron?

We tested 2 LFSA's. One in 2006, and the other in 2008. Both were numbered 0054.

I don't want to contradict you, because you are more knowledgeable than most here when it comes to the MTA fleet. However this doesn't make sense. Why would a demo bus be numbered 0054 in 2006 when 0051-0053 would only appear in 2008? I don't dispute that there may have been a LFS Artic demo at MTA in 2006, just that the fleet number doesn't seem likely. Does anyone have photos of this 2006 bus?

I don't want to contradict you, because you are more knowledgeable than most here when it comes to the MTA fleet. However this doesn't make sense. Why would a demo bus be numbered 0054 in 2006 when 0051-0053 would only appear in 2008? I don't dispute that there may have been a LFS Artic demo at MTA in 2006, just that the fleet number doesn't seem likely. Does anyone have photos of this 2006 bus?

I will double check this evening when I get home to be absolutely sure. I could be wrong as I was thinking off the top of my head.

IIRC, the Citaro was originally 0050, then renumbered to 0051.

I will double check this evening when I get home to be absolutely sure. I could be wrong as I was thinking off the top of my head.

IIRC, the Citaro was originally 0050, then renumbered to 0051.

I think there was only one LFS Articulated demo, I could be wrong. Before the LFSA I think we had a D60LF (Not the one that ran out of Quill) that was roaming around The Bronx.

Here is the LFSA demo that was tested 2 years ago

And the unknown D60LF that was roaming around The Bronx & Westchester, taken by JamaicaQnzFreak

Bus 1 of Group 1 (15 buses with Allison and ThermoKing) from Nova is in final area getting ready for presentation to NYCT Inspectors. Could be ready to head to NYC by next Friday. Group 2 (60 buses with ZF and Carrier) started on production line on Monday. Get ready NYC the Nova's are coming...

Bus 1 of Group 1 (15 buses with Allison and ThermoKing) from Nova is in final area getting ready for presentation to NYCT Inspectors. Could be ready to head to NYC by next Friday. Group 2 (60 buses with ZF and Carrier) started on production line on Monday. Get ready NYC the Nova's are coming...

Thanks for the update. Was 0055 Allison powered?

Thanks! Is this bus (Bus 1 of Group 1) a new bus or is it the previously mentioned pilot that visited NYC last year? If not, will that pilot ever return to service in NYC?

Oh and by the way, are there any fleet numbers on the new buses?

Thanks for the update. Was 0055 Allison powered?

0055 was ZF powered.

Thanks! Is this bus (Bus 1 of Group 1) a new bus or is it the previously mentioned pilot that visited NYC last year? If not, will that pilot ever return to service in NYC?

Oh and by the way, are there any fleet numbers on the new buses?

The pilot was ZF powered with ThermoKing A/C, this first group is Allison powered with ThermoKing A/C. I believe the pilot is off being tested and am not sure if it will enter service. There are fleet numbers on them, but I will need to verify what they are as I cannot remember.

0055 was ZF powered.

Really? Because there were no distinguishing characteristics of a ZF transmission on that bus. Sounded more like there was an Allison B400R on that thing. I could be wrong

Clip taken by rts9100, you can definitely hear the Allison in this and the sound effects it normally makes.

Really? Because there were no distinguishing characteristics of a ZF transmission on that bus. Sounded more like there was an Allison B400R on that thing. I could be wrong

Clip taken by rts9100, you can definitely hear the Allison in this and the sound effects it normally makes.

That's exactly what I was thinking too, but the guy has been right on the money with everything, so I didn't question it any further. I have zero Nova contacts, and get all my info about them through the TA. I didn't even bother to check up on it either because I took his word.

But the only thing that was strange to me is the fact that 0055 was the pilot for the order, and if indeed it is a ZF, it would seem like the ZF's would be group 1, and not group 2.

That's exactly what I was thinking too, but the guy has been right on the money with everything, so I didn't question it any further. I have zero Nova contacts, and get all my info about them through the TA. I didn't even bother to check up on it either because I took his word.

But the only thing that was strange to me is the fact that 0055 was the pilot for the order, and if indeed it is a ZF, it would seem like the ZF's would be group 1, and not group 2.

I know for a fact when I briefly rode it when it was out of JFK on the Q41, it most definitely had the Allison sound effects. There is no ZF that I know of that sounds close to that and I'm sure those who has rode on ZF based buses can agree with me on this. The ZF Ecolife doesnt sound anything close to this either.

The new ZF Ecolife. It still has some characteristics from the older gen ZFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYUFpwSD9M

I may have made a mistake. When was this bus in NYC? I can double check based on when the bus was down there. The information I gave you was for the most recent demo, but that one may have just been for other testing.

I may have made a mistake. When was this bus in NYC? I can double check based on when the bus was down there. The information I gave you was for the most recent demo, but that one may have just been for other testing.

Around February-March of last year with a touch of April. Just a bit of clarification, I'm not bashing or anything, I just found it to be rather weird.

EDIT: We received a demo in Q1 of last year 0055. After that we had another one built from the ground up to full MTA specs in August.

Around February-March of last year with a touch of April. Just a bit of clarification, I'm not bashing or anything, I just found it to be rather weird.

Then the information I gave on this bus previously was false. Unfortunately I do not have access to TA Bus Numbers and assumed it was the latest demo. The one I provide information on was just completed in November 2010.

And I didn't take it as you bashing, I am glad you asked because the information I provided was incorrect and I want to give correct information. I will make sure to have all information before providing an answer in the future.

Archived