The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious: Is there such a thing as an XC40 (an Xcelsior CNG)?

Work in progress....give it 2 years or so.

That is mostly correct, although they already have a prototype from what I understand, and it should be out much sooner than 2 years.

I can find out for sure Monday, but I do know for a fact that New Flyer was awarded a contract already for an order of 14 CNG-powered 60 foot Artic Xcelsiors (XC60's) from Omnitrans.

It's interesting that you bring this up Adam, because I was going to make a post on this tomorrow! I may as well do it now!:cool:

Check it out here!

Rumor has it, the TA is seriously considering a change to the pending New Flyer purchase order. Since we already have C40LFR's coming in, the TA may now want to test 90 XD40's instead of 90 D40LFR's. The Xcelsior has been getting rave reviews so far, and it is said to be the reason for the possible change!

This just gets better every day!

Go (MTA)!!! :cool:

My God, this is just amazing! Based on what I've seen and heard about the Xcelsior, the (MTA) would be on some drugs if they don't get this type of bus. I hope they change their mind and go with this.

That is mostly correct, although they already have a prototype from what I understand, and it should be out much sooner than 2 years.

I can find out for sure Monday, but I do know for a fact that New Flyer was awarded a contract already for an order of 14 CNG-powered 60 foot Artic Xcelsiors (XC60's) from Omnitrans.

It's interesting that you bring this up Adam, because I was going to make a post on this tomorrow! I may as well do it now!:cool:

Check it out here!

Hold up, so we're going to get these buses here in NY? If so, WOW!!!!!!

Check it out here!

As far as I know nothing is final, but I would be willing to bet the farm we end up with Xcelsiors now.

That would just be bananas! I hope this happens. They sound like excellent buses.

The Next 3 contracts have been delayed, and are officially behind schedule at this time. The New Flyer contract is no surprise as the TA has been said to be talking about changing the model after the Xcelsior demo was delivered. As far as Orion, there is no reason why there contract won't be awarded next week unless the TA just wants to issue them all together.

I should know more soon.

As exciting as it is to see the Xcelsior model do so well here in NYC, I wanna see the D40LFR's come to NYC too. I really like the look of them and if they are the same buses as the ones in Philly, then I will really love them here. We should get both the D40LFR's AND the Xcelsior models.

I will be briefed on what's going on this afternoon, and I should have a full update on the 25th.

As exciting as it is to see the Xcelsior model do so well here in NYC, I wanna see the D40LFR's come to NYC too. I really like the look of them and if they are the same buses as the ones in Philly, then I will really love them here. We should get both the D40LFR's AND the Xcelsior models.

What I would love, but won't happen......

50 D40LFR

20 XD40

20 XDE40

buses.jpg

Just cancel the orders with Orion and New Flyer and award them to Nova. By the time Orion or New Flyer start production, Nova will have delivered all 90 of their buses. First ones should be coming off the production line next week.

Thats definitely not going to happen. This is a test of all three manufactures products and ability to deliver a solid product. It's too soon to have a Nova dominated fleet. Besides, they will have to win fair and square if they want the next contact.

Ok, I was just briefed on the new orders. The TA made some last minute changes to the contracts, and resubmitted them for NF and Orion staffers to review, and turn in Tuesday. The program is now 30 days behind schedule, and the Novas will be arriving in short order.

Orion has already begun engineering tasks for the order, as well as set a production schedule for all 90 buses. They plan to begin building the order as soon as the contract is in hand, and hold to the original delivery schedule. They said the 30 day delay will not be a major issue for them at all, and they want to get the buses built as fast as possible.

New Flyer is said to be trying to crunch some numbers to see about delivering XD40's in lieu of D40LFR's. Whatever the final decision is, the buses will vary heavily with all kinds of different specs, options, and configurations.

All of the details unclear, but the TA will definitely continue with the 75 Allison powered, and 15 ZF powered buses for each fleet.

Lighting, seating, electrical, and brake options will vary.

Orion just completed further Altoona testing on the 3G, and the bus has performed better than any other Orion in recent history. The bus had to undergo 7 unscheduled maintenance tasks. One of which was in dispute because it was only a warn down tire. Buses typically have between 22-24 unscheduled maintenance tasks when testing.

It's going to be a tight race between New Flyer, Nova, and Orion.;)

MTA is now set to approve the contracts later on this week, or next.

In other news, I am being told the FTA will fund the purchase of up to 83 New CNG powered buses. I'm being told this order will be put out to bid, which will give Orion a chance to supply the TA with 3G CNG's. I will have more on this next week as well. Stay tuned!;)

Thats definitely not going to happen. This is a test of all three manufactures products and ability to deliver a solid product. It's too soon to have a Nova dominated fleet. Besides, they will have to win fair and square if they want the next contact.

I know it is a test, but a guy can dream cant he. Nova will provide a quality product that far beats the competition. I have heard the Artics are almost 25% more fuel efficient than the others being operated in NYC. Their prices may be higher, but the product is worth every penny.

I know it is a test, but a guy can dream cant he. Nova will provide a quality product that far beats the competition. I have heard the Artics are almost 25% more fuel efficient than the others being operated in NYC. Their prices may be higher, but the product is worth every penny.

True! I love the LFS Artics. And yes, I would hope they would be much more fuel efficient than the D60HF's.

They are performing great, so it's no secret they will end up with the next artic order. I'm quite sure the TA will play with the specs on that order as well.

I am very excited to see how all of these buses will match up to each other. I also love the fact that all the orders will have 2 transmission options. That makes things much more interesting.

Not to stray away from the upcoming orders, but where in the world are 0056 and 0057? Weren't we supposed to receive those as Xcelsior test buses? And where did 0058 go anyway? Last I heard it left UP.

I keep hearing conflicting reports about 0058 so we'll just have to see what happens.

Archived