The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Restrictions that don't allow me to do things like this that I can do with the phone pictured.

DSCF1023b.jpg

The iPhone can boot up iOS or Android. Of course it'd need to be "jailbroken" but compare that to Android and "rooting" which is a way more difficult and dangerous process. Android really isn't that much more open than iOS; Windows Phone 7 seems more closed than both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlONNCiAHg0&feature=related

This is an iPhone 3G which is a slow phone (compared to phones in 2010), it's slower than the original MyTouch.

My iPhone isn't jailbroken btw, I don't want to jailbreak it either lol. The only thing that'd benefit me would be the Sense UI & Google Navigation (even though I'd be on the iOS side 90% of the time), everything else can kick rocks. :o

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The iPhone can boot up iOS or Android. Of course it'd need to be "jailbroken" but compare that to Android and "rooting" which is a way more difficult and dangerous process. Android really isn't that much more open than iOS; Windows Phone 7 seems more closed than both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlONNCiAHg0&feature=related

This is an iPhone 3G which is a slow phone (compared to phones in 2010), it's slower than the original MyTouch.

My iPhone isn't jailbroken btw, I don't want to jailbreak it either lol. The only thing that'd benefit me would be the Sense UI & Google Navigation (even though I'd be on the iOS side 90% of the time), everything else can kick rocks. :o

Yeah but you know what, this:

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

:)

I'm totally anticipating the Galaxy Tab, but the iPad will win in the long run.

On a sidenote, I got to try out the HTC HD7 today, I am VERY impressed with this phone aside from its boring homescreen, Microsoft did a really good job with the OS.

I'm totally anticipating the Galaxy Tab, but the iPad will win in the long run.

On a sidenote, I got to try out the HTC HD7 today, I am VERY impressed with this phone aside from its boring homescreen, Microsoft did a really good job with the OS.

So are you getting that HD7? And can you tell me where a live demo is?

The worst part about it is the HD7 is an exact hardware clone of the HD2 and HD2 isn't getting an official WP7 upgrade.

But.....:(

So are you getting that HD7? And can you tell me where a live demo is?

The worst part about it is the HD7 is an exact hardware clone of the HD2 and HD2 isn't getting an official WP7 upgrade.

But.....:(

The T-Mobile store by my area (Delancey & Ludlow) has two working versions of the phone, along with the MyTouch 4G and several others. I'm staying with my G2, I'd get the HD7 as an alternative for the modding capabilities.

The T-Mobile store by my area (Delancey & Ludlow) has two working versions of the phone, along with the MyTouch 4G and several others. I'm staying with my G2, I'd get the HD7 as an alternative for the modding capabilities.

There might not be any modding capabilities. It's Microsoft's version of the iPhone OS. There is no file explorer. No ability to load applications apart from the marketplace.

Now why would you want the hd7 its mostly app based but that means you can stop just staring at your phone and focus on other things.

Most smartphones are app based. Considering that I have a G2, I've been a long time Windows Mobile user with 6.0 and the plethora of 6.5 roms. I am a little excited to try out the other WP7 devices to be coming out soon.

My new Verizon Casio Exilim C721 Cellular Telephone is neat!

I'm still adjusting to it and I don't think it's quite a 3G or Smartphone, but close to it.

*Talking Caller ID (The first time it activated with a call, it scared the daylights out of me!).

*Mobile E-Mail.

*Larger font on Text Messages (still 160 characters).

*Alarm (it looks/seems like the cell phone can emit an alarm or signal).

*12 hour or 24 hour choice (In 24 hour, it reads 13:00 at 1:00pm, and 00:00 at Midnight), Alarm Clock (3 different settings - and they're loud!), Calculator, Calendar from 1981 through 2099, Notes, and World Clock

*Larger display screen

The digital camera is on the back. When I open the flip, rotate it, and close it, it turns into a large viewfinder. It has a built in flash.

My cell phone can accept a Memory Card for increased capacity if I wish.

It came with a cradle which also is the cell phones' charger. The LED is red when it is charging and green when it's ready and the plug disconnects from the cradle when you're not charging it. There also are two other cords with which I could connect my cell phone to my laptop. (I haven't tried that yet) and a CD Disk.

Best of all, the Casio Exilim C721 came with a large handbook (slightly smaller than a paperback book) - 228 pages in English/228 pages in Spanish (456 pages) and a small Tips, Hints, And Shortcuts Manual - 112 pages in English/112 pages in Spanish (224 pages).

It turns out this cellular telephone model is military-certified. I have an attachable wrist loop for it.

P.S. Call quality is very good. The Mobile Web (called Dashboard) is a little different.

A family member got the HD7 yesterday. It's hot, I'm jealous of the big screen, it's almost the size of my whole phone. B)

Can you change the theme?

Had a tough time setting it up too.

Windows Phone 7 is pretty much like iOS, cant realy customize it to its fullest. The one thing that might make WP7 phones sales less than Android & others is the inability to multi-task and to have customization features. You can change the splash screen but not the homepage IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...
Indoor 4G speed test. When Sprint turned on 4G on November 1st the signal seems to be getting stronger in my office where it was once very week. Right outside the front door of my office building I can get 10,000+ kbps.

Well, I see you're having fun with that 4G/WiMax.

Do you get battery like that's complete crap like this?

1-1.png

2-2.png

I don't like Windows Phone 7, glad it's not my phone. :P

;):P

Oh, and if you want a phone with the same screen size of the HD7, get what I have. An HD2. The phones both have the same hardware. The only difference is the operating system and the external buttons/case :P

Mine is probably worse!

Sure about that? My phone only lasts 2 1/2 hours. I had to buy an external battery pack because the battery life is so atrocious :P

Sure about that? My phone only lasts 2 1/2 hours. I had to buy an external battery pack because the battery life is so atrocious :P

Yes yours is definitely worse. Maybe because of the WiFi? My battery definitely takes a hit with the 4G radio on.

Here's a good one I got hanging out of the window.

results2.jpeg

Yes yours is definitely worse. Maybe because of the WiFi? My battery definitely takes a hit with the 4G radio on.

Here's a good one I got hanging off the window.

So I see 4G is definitely worth it. Now if only they had a GSM version of that phone, as I don't want to be permanently locked into Sprint.

And the problem is, on my phone, the WiFi is never on :eek:

But I have noticed that when running Android instead of Windows Mobile on my phone, it has a bit better battery life. 10 minutes more.

Indoor 4G speed test. When Sprint turned on 4G on November 1st the signal seems to be getting stronger in my office where it was once very week. Right outside the front door of my office building I can get 10,000+ kbps.

results.jpeg

Whoa this 4G is serious, it's practically faster than my Edge, 3G, & Wifi put together. :eek:

iPhone 4 on AT&T's Edge (Indoors)

4b2e642b.jpg

iPhone 4 on AT&T's 3G (Indoors)

7ed1a088.jpg

iPhone 4 on Verizon (Wifi)

0ee334bf.jpg

iPod touch 2G on Verizon (Wifi)

2ac079cc.jpg

Edit: WOW look at the screen resolutions. O_O

Edited by Infamous85