Long routes you've always wanted to ride

Joel Up Front

Seriously??? So the MTA is actually ADDING LI Bus service with the next schedule change?

yes it is.. also a small re route for the N19 to avoid turning on DPA for babylon rr. all n15 routes will come out of RVC depot and they will all have lunch at long beach..

there was other stuff i will have to see when i go back to work...

By the way, what makes the S74 better than the S78? Is it because the route is less congested?

you misread my comment, bro...

I actually favor the end-to-end ride on the S78 over the S74...

for me, the number one deterrent (or disadvantage in riding the full route AFAIC) is the S74 between Tottenville & Rossville/Woodrow area... it is an eyesore; nothin that really keeps you interested... the roads are in horrendous shape (yeh, that part of SI is more industrial, but still)... people think that all the roads out there in the south shore are in pristine condition b/c the houses themselves look nice... I found out the hard way that it's the exact opposite regarding the roads, but that's besides the point....

east of the transit ctr, the ride on the S74 isn't too bad though... at least there's more to look at... quaint little communities b/w eltingville & grasmere (I guess you'd call that area, over there by the SIE....

far as the S78, one thing that does kinda suck about the ride is that.... you get used to enjoying the nonstop (basically, outside of school hrs) portion b/w tottenville & hylan/richmond.... but it's like, east & north of richmond (av), the route crawls like s**t..... lol...

B35 via Church;312345

What CTTransit bus goes from Stamford to New Haven ???

From Stamford-New Haven no bus but I did it once about 10 years ago when I still lived in Brooklyn. However I took a CT Bus (forgot name of route)from Stamford-Norwalk.

Then the Bus route serves from Norwalk-Ct Post Mall served by both the CT Transit and Bridgeport Buses.

Finally a local route from CT Post Mall-New Haven by Yale Univ.

Maybe our buddy St Louis Car Company can give the exact route names.

From Stamford-New Haven no bus but I did it once about 10 years ago when I still lived in Brooklyn. However I took a CT Bus (forgot name of route)from Stamford-Norwalk.

Then the Bus route serves from Norwalk-Ct Post Mall served by both the CT Transit and Bridgeport Buses.

Finally a local route from CT Post Mall-New Haven by Yale Univ.

Maybe our buddy St Louis Car Company can give the exact route names.

ok, I get you.... originally you made it sound like there was one bus that went from stamford to new haven... but anyway:

- yeah, that's stamford's route 41 that goes to norwalk...

- ....and that's the coastal link that goes from norwalk to the mall out in milford (ct post)....

as far as a route going from ct post to new haven, I don't know about... although I've been to new haven (twice), neither were for busfanning purposes... maybe someone else will know what new haven route that was/is....

Trust me, if I can handle the S79 on its worst day (the longest it ever took me to get from the mall to Brooklyn was 90 minutes due to a car crash on Hylan and Richmond), I can definitely handle the S74/78.

The S79 is not nearly as long as the S74 & the 78, there is a reason why they both hold the title of the two longest local lines in the city :P

The S89 doesn't start from St George. It starts at Hylan Blvd/Richmond Avenue and goes up Richmond Avenue until it goes onto Route 440 into Bayonne.

You misunderstood what I said, I meant to say that it takes one hour for the S78 to get from St.George to the S89 Terminal at Eltingville. Just bad wording on my end, my bad.

this thread is getting more replies than I thought...

you aint kiddin... those damned things appear like wildfire now...

during lunchtime, heading to mcdonalds (the one over there by e 8th & 6th, across from staples), it's not uncommon to see 4-5 of em passing by w/i a 1/2 hour period (usually how long I stay & eat in).... the old M5' were no where close to being that frequent....

I actually don't miss the M6.... lol...

I think the headways of the M5 now are what seems to be the headways of the M6. The frequencies between the M5 now and what was the M6 is pretty similar. The only thing I miss about the M6 is hearing those RTSs echo through Broadway, you could hear them from blocks away!

Guest Charles

The M101 from Ft George down to the East Village, QM16 from Neponsit to Midtown/57th, and the Q27 from Flushing to Cambria Heights.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some nice long routes (B41, M15, Q44 sometimes, Bx12) and there are some long routes that feel like pulling out teeth. The M101, the M100 come to mind. The W60 is another one. Bx15 is painful as is the B63 if caught anytime when people are awake.

I want to try the new M5 from end to end. Anyone ever rode the B46 local from end to end? It seems like the longest ride on earth, but it's really only like an hour.

WBP to kings plaza... yeh, I did that a couple times.... as you said, it's only about an hour an' some change....

it feels like forever & a minute b/w WBP & eastern pkwy... it's usually where the 46 crawls anyway....

Would anyone consider the B68 a "long route"? I haven't rode it the full length...the closest stop I've been near Coney Island was the Brighton Beach station and I rode it all the way up to Windsor Terrace. Still a good ride.

ended up taking the stinkin 68 on monday, coming home from nathan's.... dam 82 driver saw me running & still kept driving off....

anyway, riding it (the 68) from mermaid loop to church av is like what, 85% of the route (I usually finish 7 dogs & cheese fries by time we hit like, foster).... it doesn't really seem long distance-wise.... however, b/o's crawl that route (I find, especially heading northbound) so they won't get to pritchard sq too early)... b/c it's like, after kings hwy, that's where ridership tends to just about die out....

that's why I say it feels like a longer ride.....

WBP to kings plaza... yeh, I did that a couple times.... as you said, it's only about an hour an' some change....

it feels like forever & a minute b/w WBP & eastern pkwy... it's usually where the 46 crawls anyway....

Yeah, Eastern Pkwy to ENY Av is just a nightmare. I believe that was the first and last local B46 I ever rode on. Now it's LTD or nothing.

Would anyone consider the B68 a "long route"? I haven't rode it the full length...the closest stop I've been near Coney Island was the Brighton Beach station and I rode it all the way up to Windsor Terrace. Still a good ride.

I caught the B68 once. Not that bad either. It was about 4 years ago, and I was looking for a Money Gram at like 1AM to send my boy and his wife some money. Mind you, that is a part of Brooklyn I don't venture off too. At the time, I was living in Fort Greene. I took the (:P to Kings Hwy., then the (Q) back up to Av M, then walked over to CI Av to find the place. Long story short, I decided to take the B68 to Prospect Park, (F) downtown, then B54 home. This was the first time I ever rode this bus, and would have likely never done it. But have you ever waited for a (B) or (Q) train in the middle of the night in Midwood?? I felt like I was in the movie Blade! I was the only person waiting for the train! I normally don't get freaked out by ANYTHING! But that night I said "oh hell no! I'm not going undergrown in this section of town!" I've walked the streets all over NYC at night through some bad neighborhoods, and I was actually scared to get on the train in Midwood. My brother still laughs at me to this day over that one.:P

I can't really think of any buses I've taken the full route. When I lived in Brooklyn, I was never really much of a bus person. I would almost always take the subway, even if a bus trip would've been easier (a lot of times, this was from Brighton Beach to either Bay Ridge or Borough Park)

Now that I live in Staten Island, I still haven't ridden a route the full length in one shot.

The routes where I've ridden for most of the route are:

S40 from Forest Avenue/South Avenue to St George (never the S90)

S46/S96 from Goethals Road North to St George

S48/S98 from Forest Avenue/South Avenue to Victory Blvd/Bay Street.

S59 from Port Richmond to the Eltingville SIR station

S61 from Victory Blvd/Bay Street to SI Mall (never the S91)

S62/S92 from Victory Blvd/Arlene Street to St George Ferry.

That's all I can think of.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I did the new M5 local from South Ferry to 135 St, but it was late at night and it was damn near empty...I always wanted to do the LTD the whole trip

Others I wana do and/or partially done...

-M103 (only did it from City Hall to 86 St)

-B47 (only did it from Woodhull Hospital to Livonia Av)

-M5 (see above)

-S78

-Bx1/Bx2 (never been on that)

-Bx8 (new routing)

-B63 (only did it from Columbia Av to 39 St...I had to use the bathroom lol)

Guest Charles

Talking about long routes...try taking the Q60 end to end during rush hour, peak direction that ride will feel twice if not thrice (yes I used the word thrice, don't hate) as long.

Also when it comes to the words "long route", I guess it could mean either geographically long or "feels" long...take any of the crosstown routes, they're geographically "short", but that ride will feel very "long."

...Also when it comes to the words "long route", I guess it could mean either geographically long or "feels" long...take any of the crosstown routes, they're geographically "short", but that ride will feel very "long."

yeh, the term does have a double meaning...

way I see the term "long route", I'm referring to the distance of the physical route itself.... or, as you word it, "geographically" long....

.....I caught the B68 once. Not that bad either. It was about 4 years ago, and I was looking for a Money Gram at like 1AM to send my boy and his wife some money. Mind you, that is a part of Brooklyn I don't venture off too. At the time, I was living in Fort Greene. I took the (:P to Kings Hwy., then the (Q) back up to Av M, then walked over to CI Av to find the place. Long story short, I decided to take the B68 to Prospect Park, (F) downtown, then B54 home. This was the first time I ever rode this bus, and would have likely never done it. But have you ever waited for a (B) or (Q) train in the middle of the night in Midwood?? I felt like I was in the movie Blade! I was the only person waiting for the train! I normally don't get freaked out by ANYTHING! But that night I said "oh hell no! I'm not going undergrown in this section of town!" I've walked the streets all over NYC at night through some bad neighborhoods, and I was actually scared to get on the train in Midwood. My brother still laughs at me to this day over that one.:)

lol... I got one for ya...

ask any regular brighton rider about the southern end of either platform Avenue J @ night....

before I spill the beans, let's see if anyone on here knows what's up regarding that....

I caught the B68 once. Not that bad either. It was about 4 years ago, and I was looking for a Money Gram at like 1AM to send my boy and his wife some money. Mind you, that is a part of Brooklyn I don't venture off too. At the time, I was living in Fort Greene. I took the (:) to Kings Hwy., then the (Q) back up to Av M, then walked over to CI Av to find the place. Long story short, I decided to take the B68 to Prospect Park, (F) downtown, then B54 home. This was the first time I ever rode this bus, and would have likely never done it. But have you ever waited for a (B) or (Q) train in the middle of the night in Midwood?? I felt like I was in the movie Blade! I was the only person waiting for the train! I normally don't get freaked out by ANYTHING! But that night I said "oh hell no! I'm not going undergrown in this section of town!" I've walked the streets all over NYC at night through some bad neighborhoods, and I was actually scared to get on the train in Midwood. My brother still laughs at me to this day over that one.:(

Midwood??? It isn't necessarily a bad area to be in, what made you get so freaked out by it?

Midwood??? It isn't necessarily a bad area to be in, what made you get so freaked out by it?

The streets of Midwood have no foot traffic at night. I went to Murrow and Avenue M was a ghost town after 7pm. (Especially on Friday nights), so I do understand the uncomfortable nature of Midwood a bit.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I want to try the new M5 from end to end. Anyone ever rode the B46 local from end to end? It seems like the longest ride on earth, but it's really only like an hour.

I only took it from KP to Eastern Pkwy. That uphill from ENY Av to Eastern Pkwy is a killer, espically on a crowded bus...you'd be better off walking (although the walk uphill is just as bad)

Want to ride (but probably won't) NJT317 Asbury park-Philadelphia local.

Wanted to ride but discontinued: PART 4: Only ran 2 mornings from Putnam plaza to Mall.

Rode most bus routes in TRi-State area at least once, long and short.

Enjoyed myself with free rides after BeeLine strike.

Also (off topic) rode whole LIRR and Metro North lines with those free holiday 10 trip tickets bought on EBAY years ago.

Archived