Automated Bus Announcements

R44 CNG

What are some announcements you've heard please list them...In my area there's only RTS and NG. An interesting announcement i heard on the Q3 to JFK Airport was

"Welcome to New York City, The MetroCard City..."

Something like that

rts nova & hybrids and mcis - hello this is the mta nyct department , please protect all of your personal belongings and acessories , the mta nyct department wil not be responsible for any lost or stolen items so thank you for riding with mta nyc bus , 2. attention all coustomers you are reminded to pay 5.50 $ on the express bus and local routes are 2.25 $ please pay the exact fare and thank you for riding mta nyct bus . then i was on the rts nova on # 5088 not inservice & it was saying please step away from the rear door way and the bus was moving going 45 lol . & one more i was on the mci and it said matenience will be preformed on the ............ and the bus hit a bump and it knocked the message out .

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

On the M16/M34 all the buses announces all the stops it makes but the transfer announcements are turned off cuz of the service cuts (still wasn't updated)

Even on the RTSs (4900's and later) it says "please do not stand in the rear doorway"

Funny on how tuesday i was on the M11 going downtown from 81st and i heard that"this is MTA NYC Transit

A MetroCard City" 1st time i heard that announcement

And on the train

"Please offer your seat to the elderly/disabled Courtesy is contageous, it starts with you"

Damn LIB's Clever Devices annoucements not having any real quirks other than mispronouncing a few street names.

Although if an operator has logged into the Clever Devices onboard a bus running the N6 and enabled the announcements, the external speaker will say "Route N6 - Jamaica" and then say "N6" again, as if people didn't hear it the first time.

I got lot of them, but not probably all...

The most predominant ones are:

1: Bus operators are protected by New York State Law. Assaulting a bus operator is a felony.

2: Attention customers, you are reminded that the cash fare on local and limited buses is $2.25, and $5.50 on express buses. Transfers must be requested upon payment of the cash fare.

Others are:

3: Thank you for riding the MTA.

4: Customers, you are the eyes of New York. If you see something, say something. Call 1-888-NYC-SAFE to report suspicious activity.

5: Standing customers, for your safety, please hold on.

6: Please, no littering, smoking, spitting, or radio playing on the bus.

7: Please stand behind the white line, and do not talk to the bus operator while the bus is in motion.

8: As the courtesy to the boarding passengers, please move to the rear of the bus.

9: Upon request, priority seatings must be given to people with disabilities.

10: Please be considerate, and give up your seats to the elderly.

11: Welcome to New York, it's the MetroCard City. Please visit http://www.mta.info for MetroCard information.

12: Please exit through the rear door.

I will not include bus stop nor rear door announcements.

• 2 weeks later...

ARGH!Enough NY stuff.Let's travel elsewhere for announcements.I shall start off in Philly home of SEPTA.

SEPTA's bus announcements: "Welcome to route 125 service to Center City Philadelphia" "This route has multiple fare zones"

WMATA:"Route T16 destination Greenbelt Station" "Please report any unattended bags or suspcious behavior to the proper authorities.Remember,safety is everyone's responsiblilty"

MTA Maryland:"Route 15 destination White Marsh.Welcome aboard MTA" "Please exit at rear doors and watch your step when exiting the bus"

CTA:"Route 56 Michigan to Jefferson Park Blue Line"

Miami Dade:-dead robotic voice- "Route S.Collins Av.Aventura Mall" "Passengers,please use only one seat" "Passengers for your safety please do not cross in front of the bus" "All passengers must pay fare in full or present the appropriate media to the operator.All passes and transfers are subject to inspection"

OCTA(Anaheim,CA): "This bus serves route 29" "Now approaching Beach Blvd and Orangethorpe Av.Transfer point for routes 29 and 30"

LAMTA:"Line 111 LAX City Bus Center" "Stop Requested.Please use rear exit"

-sigh- Ahhh,that'll do it.Oh yeah!Can't forget "STOP REQUESTED!"

• 5 months later...

The automated announcements to me, enlighten my ride everyday. I remember I was on LIB (N24) going to Roosevelt Field and I heard: "Roosevelt Field, Please remember to take your personal belongings and trash with you when you leave. Thank you for riding Long Island Bus. Major Transfer Point"

On Suffolk County Transit Buses, when I took S40 or S61, I remember.

"Now Approaching... Transfer availble to..."

I also remember long time ago I could recorded announcement on Tappan Zee Express.

"Now Approaching West Nyack, Main St-Cedar Av."

"This Tapan Zee Express to Tarrytown and White Plains."

What are some announcements you've heard please list them...In my area there's only RTS and NG. An interesting announcement i heard on the Q3 to JFK Airport was

"Welcome to New York City, The MetroCard City..."

Something like that

I once heard that when I was riding 4396 on the Bx18

I ride the N4 2+ days a week (depending on my schedule) & on Thursday or Friday I noticed that the the system that announces the stops was stuck on Jamaica 158th st. (I think that was the stop, but it was def. the same stop) on both the bus there and on the bus back (both different buses). Was this a weird coincidence that the system on both buses was stuck on the same bus stop or was this some sort of a problem late in the week?

When Long Island Bus enters Queens, announcement seems to be delay.

When the N4 is leaving Jamaica (if possible) when someone hits the stop button in queens the automated should say "EAST BOUND LONG ISLAND BUS DOES NOT DROP OFF IN QUEENS"....

Either that or when the door opens to let off a passenger on an east bound LI Bus the automated system should say "TAKE THE CITY BUS NEXT TIME," then make a growling noise when the doors close just to save the drivers voice. lol

The automated announcements to me, enlighten my ride everyday. I remember I was on LIB (N24) going to Roosevelt Field and I heard: "Roosevelt Field, Please remember to take your personal belongings and trash with you when you leave. Thank you for riding Long Island Bus. Major Transfer Point"

I hear that in the morning when I get to the Freeport LIRR Station with the addition of "handrails are located in the isles, stairways, and overhead for your convenience (or is it safety?)..."

I ride the N4 2+ days a week (depending on my schedule) & on Thursday or Friday I noticed that the the system that announces the stops was stuck on Jamaica 158th st. (I think that was the stop, but it was def. the same stop) on both the bus there and on the bus back (both different buses). Was this a weird coincidence that the system on both buses was stuck on the same bus stop or was this some sort of a problem late in the week?

I don't live in Nassau County but i say this. As long as 1)Buses are otherwise functional 2)Driver makes announcement at major stops/transfer points not having the automated system won't be the end of the world.

Hell 20 years ago, when I was still in high school having an automated system would be considered 'out of this world.':eek:

LI B/Os don't make announcements except for one operator from Mitchel Field who is so old school, he still wears his (NYCT) uniform and STILL calls out stops... too bad I haven't actually gotten on a bus with him at the wheel since April.

Joel I know that. Also most of the drivers with the newer SEPTA buses in Philadelphia equipped with them also have them.

And a few other bus agencies around the country.

I was telling this poster Joel, that if the automated system does not work then the driver should be making announcements at least at major stops/transfer points. Not to mention as long as the bus itself works safely, not having an automated system is not that big of a deal.

I don't live in Nassau County but i say this. As long as 1)Buses are otherwise functional 2)Driver makes announcement at major stops/transfer points not having the automated system won't be the end of the world.

Hell 20 years ago, when I was still in high school having an automated system would be considered 'out of this world.':eek:

I don't think it's the end of the world at all, most of the systems work half assed at best anyway, some are delayed or announce the stop way too early.

I just thought it was a rare/interesting oddity for two different buses to have the system stuck on the same stop, and maybe wondered if the system was down or having a major issue.

I was riding a Suffolk Transit bus and learned it was an ADA requirement that either drivers announce the stops or have an automated system. It actually clicked why they have these systems and require drivers to announce the stops. I couldn't believe how naive I was and didn't realize this before. About a month later I saw a blind lady riding the N4, the system was not working and had to get up and ask the driver to stop at xyz stop for her.

I was telling this poster Joel, that if the automated system does not work then the driver should be making announcements at least at major stops/transfer points. Not to mention as long as the bus itself works safely, not having an automated system is not that big of a deal.

That is when I see SOME LI Bus drivers making announcements, at major stops/transfer points.

I agree with both of you, if I worked for LI Bus I would not not take a bus because the announcement system is down so long as it is safe and seemed mechanically sound and roll the dice getting a bus with more severe issue or that you'd have to worry about breaking down during your shift.

Sometimes B/O also turn off announcement mostly on N20. Some B/O doesn't speak loud for everyone to hear.

It was with same situation when I got on Suffolk County Transit's S41 when automated announcement was broken and B/O did not make any announcement.

Some times lightrail train operator on Hudson-Bergen Lightrail also sometimes turn off announcement around Marin Blvd.

Archived