MTA's Robotrains prove to have a mind of their own as some go rogue on L line

Queens Surface

Some Robotrains have been going rogue on the L line, prompting NYC Transit to temporarily suspend the high-tech operation, the Daily News has learned.

In one incident, a train that was stopped at a Brooklyn platform took off on its own - traveling three to five feet before a crew member on board hit the emergency brakes, NYC Transit confirmed yesterday.

With two other similar incidents recently on the Brooklyn-to-Manhattan line, the agency suspended use of the computerized train control system on Aug. 16, NYC Transit said in a statement yesterday.

Train service continued the old-fashioned way - with motormen doing the driving, not computers - until software fixes were finished last weekend, the agency said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/27/2010-08-27_robotrains_proving_to_have_minds_of_their_own.html#ixzz0xpZmdoxP

post-188-133288582162_thumb.jpg

post-188-133288582162_thumb.jpg

Wow , I can't belive this! this is terrible. I hiope it's the R143 that did this crap! Not the 160!

Well , at least R143s/R160s are still on the (L) line! But they are being manually driven by conducters until further notice! Thank god!

The other lines with R160s should be safe , like my beloved (F) train!

I hope...:cry:

Im confused, they said the t/a had the software fixed on the r143/160, so does this mean ATO to return or what?

Wow , I can't belive this! this is terrible. I hiope it's the R143 that did this crap! Not the 160!

Well , at least R143s/R160s are still on the (L) line! But they are being manually driven by conducters until further notice! Thank god!

Since when is conductors train operators..? Like if you even know which is which.

You sound like an ass, Go get help, any subway car is going to have flaws, its normal for a train to act up once in a while.

Is your brain ok?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

So that's why I seen all the (L) trains in manual mode while going to work. Oh well its gonna be fixed.

Slow down there buddy, lets break this down bit by bit...

1. R143 or R160 it doesn't matter which one it was, it affects all (L) trains since they all operate in ATO mode.

2. R143s & R160s are always gonna be on the (L), nothing else until something comes along and replaces the R143s

3. Every other line that uses an R160 including the (E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R) & (Z) and whatever else a R160 might pop up on IS NOT affected by this since ONLY the (L) uses R160s in ATO MODE. Nothing else but the (L) uses ATO.

4. The (F) is fine, its not affected one bit

5. You can't claim the (F) as yours. Its PUBLIC transportation. If you want to own the (F) train, you better have some very very VERY deep pockets.

.....Foamer

The funny thing is, this has happened before. Too bad somebody can't comprehend that due to his love for the R160. They had to shut CBTC down in the later part of last year and have the train operate in bypass, meaning they were operated by man and not computer.

This CBT-Shit is a waste of money. Too bad the MTA wants to throw out more money to implement this on the (7) line....

The funny thing is, this has happened before. Too bad somebody can't comprehend that due to his love for the R160. They had to shut CBTC down in the later part of last year and have the train operate in bypass, meaning they were operated by man and not computer.

This CBT-Shit is a waste of money. Too bad the MTA wants to throw out more money to implement this on the (7) line....

Ehhh I'm thinking that this CBTC thing isn't going to be very good for the (7)

Computers can't be trusted besides there's nothing better then A T/ Op having full control , If the (MTA) is smart they will not use these kind of systems for SVC , It's only a matter of time till something horrible happens and that shouldn't be the reason to pull these Computers from these trains.

Since when is conductors train operators..? Like if you even know which is which.

You sound like an ass, Go get help, any subway car is going to have flaws, its normal for a train to act up once in a while.

Is your brain ok?

.....Foamer

You guys are all so mean! FYI , we park slopers have very soft hearts! Teasing and calling me mentally challenged is NOT OK! It's bad enough people will ridicule me in school in 2 weeks when I mention just ONE sentence

about trains! you guys are the only ones I know(Besides my family and my mentee , James) that like the subway/bus system just as much as I do! please don't be disrespectful to me on this forum. I know some of my post are a bit weird and sometimes inaccurate , but you guys don't have to be so mean about it. Please! I'm not asking for a boatload here. I just got scared after reading this since I thought it would effect the R160s running on the (F) , and that the MTA might order Jamaica to put half R46s back on the (F) and now that the (F)'s open to the connecter between to Broadway-Lafayette street and Essex street , a R46 (F) could accidentally end up @ Essex street , the line could be ruined for days! That's why i was worried!

ruined (F) service=epic fail for the entire system! So please don't be mean. Thank you!

Archived