Create your own bus route!

Broadway Local

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First N58 full route, then return to Great Neck Station. B/O switch destination to N57 and operates loop, then at Great Neck, again to N58.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004ac3be922d04dd2134&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=40.807313,-73.738861&spn=0.045476,0.072956&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004ac3be922d04dd2134&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=40.807313,-73.738861&spn=0.045476,0.072956&z=13&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">N57 & N58 Merged</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

I was going over this thread and put most of the routes in Manhattan on one big map to show all of the routes that you guys thought up. (Please note some routes aren't there because the streets used weren't specified or had errors in them, ex: wrong way on a one way street, illegal turn)

I also included somes Brooklyn and one Bronx bus routes in there as well to mix it up a bit as well as a couple express bus routes.

http://scaped.net/mta/colab.pdf - Credit for the routes are given on the bottom left hand corner of the map.

Anyone have any routes they'd like me to add to the map?

Edited by Gorgor

First N58 full route, then return to Great Neck Station. B/O switch destination to N57 and operates loop, then at Great Neck, again to N58.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004ac3be922d04dd2134&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=40.807313,-73.738861&spn=0.045476,0.072956&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004ac3be922d04dd2134&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=40.807313,-73.738861&spn=0.045476,0.072956&z=13&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">N57 & N58 Merged</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

Isn't that just interlining??? the bus already does it on some runs

I was going over this thread and put most of the routes in Manhattan on one big map to show all of the routes that you guys thought up. (Please note some routes aren't there because the streets used weren't specified or had errors in them, ex: wrong way on a one way street, illegal turn)

I also included somes Brooklyn and one Bronx bus routes in there as well to mix it up a bit as well as a couple express bus routes.

http://scaped.net/mta/colab.pdf - Credit for the routes are given on the bottom left hand corner of the map.

Very good work. Quite professional. :tup:

As for more routes, maybe your M105 Limited and my M55 SBS (link to my idea here. (Where the M55 would go to bypass 72nd to 125th is here.)

this is awesome how did you do it?

You could throw my M6 idea on there if you want....

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=434601&postcount=95

(ignore the green lines, just follow the red line)

I used Inkscape to create the map.

Thanks for pointing out the error with 23rd Street, I'll fix that soon.

I want to put "unique" ideas on the map, not just small changes to existing routes or adding SBS to a route. A perfect example of unique would be some of the ones created by FamousNYLover, such as the M18 or X82/X83.

The M6 idea is basically the M5 south of 72nd Street, and the M55 SBS is basically an M5 SBS. Not saying that those routes aren't good ideas or anything, just saying that I want more creative ones so the map doesn't get too cluttered with routes close to what currently exists today. B)

Updated map: http://scaped.net/mta/colab.pdf

I also think that it's worth mentioning that I see a common theme in all of the routes I've mapped. Almost all of them use 42nd Street and the only avenues used in Midtown are 7th and 8th, with only one (the X83) using 9th. Also with the M25 and M26 (both created by different people), they were both trying to provide a service to combine the X25 and X26 routes into one, one of them decided to use the FDR Drive and the other decided to use West Street. Also, so far any bus that goes to Lower Manhattan travels via the M20 to South Ferry.

Edited by Gorgor

Looking at it visually, a few of those routes actually seem realistic, like the M26 and M125.

Looking at it visually, a few of those routes actually seem realistic, like the M26 and M125.

Visually speaking, the M26 makes perfect sense, however it seems like a combination of the X25 and X26 buses, which were to provide a nice alternate (and for the X25, faster) service to the World Financial Center from Grand Central Metro North (X25) and Penn Station (X26). That M26 would take 30 minutes at least during rush hour to go from Grand Central to 14th Street, and then another 10-15 minutes down West Street to the World Financial Center. It would be useless to the very few people who actually took the X25 but be good for the other group of very few people who actually took the X26.

I have no idea whether or not there is a demand for service to Astoria from 125th to 145th and Broadway so I won't comment on that, but visually speaking it looks like it could work.

Visually speaking, the M26 makes perfect sense, however it seems like a combination of the X25 and X26 buses, which were to provide a nice alternate (and for the X25, faster) service to the World Financial Center from Grand Central Metro North (X25) and Penn Station (X26). That M26 would take 30 minutes at least during rush hour to go from Grand Central to 14th Street, and then another 10-15 minutes down West Street to the World Financial Center. It would be useless to the very few people who actually took the X25 but be good for the other group of very few people who actually took the X26.

I have no idea whether or not there is a demand for service to Astoria from 125th to 145th and Broadway so I won't comment on that, but visually speaking it looks like it could work.

Of course, I just meant visually speaking like you said.

And the X26 shouldn't go to Grand Central and get stuck in traffic on 42nd Street. It should just end at Penn Station like it used to.

I wonder how much it would cost to restore those services. I mean there are plenty of express buses deadheading to/from the outer boroughs available to make the trip.

Of course, I just meant visually speaking like you said.

And the X26 shouldn't go to Grand Central and get stuck in traffic on 42nd Street. It should just end at Penn Station like it used to.

I wonder how much it would cost to restore those services. I mean there are plenty of express buses deadheading to/from the outer boroughs available to make the trip.

If they used buses deadheading to do runs on the X25 they would make more money than they lose. If the bus is already going downtown then even if just 5 people took the bus the MTA is making $27.50, and I'm sure the extra few minutes (X25 took about 30 minutes from start to end) wouldn't cost more than that. Well then again it is the MTA... inefficiency is their specialty.

Well lets get back on topic. Even though this is a peaceful express bus discussion I know someone will come and mention the X-you-know-what bus and all hell will break loose. Anyone have any more routes they'd like to be added to the map? B)

I'll try to show my total bus routes via Google Maps!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

More will be up!

EDIT: Doesn't work on me! Here are screenshots:

First, we have B107 +Select at Coney Island-Stillwell Av Terminal then going up,

B72 Limited rising Ocean Parkway then bound to West Side,

X86 running via Shore Parkway. It's last stop is Bay Ridge-79th St on the left:

AnyPhotoColumn.png

Next, we have B107 +Select running via 3rd Av, and turned to Flatbush for Manhattan Bridge,

B72 Limited via Fort Hamilton Parkway then to Caton Av bound for Spring Creek-Gateway Mall,

X86 via Bedford/Nostrand Avs reaching up to Astoria, Queens:

123456.png

Then, we have B72 Limited running via Linden Blvd to Spring Creek-Fountain Av,

X86 traveling up;

AnyPhotos.png

Lastly, we have B107 +Select bus running on Manhattan,

X86 to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd Sta/31st St

AnyPhotos3.png

Edited by Coneyislandav7

Q23 Extend to LaGuardia Airport:

New Stop:

Parking Lot #3

Delta Terminal

US Airways Shuttle

US Airways

Central Terminal Building

American Airline Cargo

Ditmars Blvd/94th St

Q29 and Q49 merged.

Glendale-bound:R on Roosevelt Av, R on 82nd St.

New stop

Drop off- Broadway/75th St

Pickup- Roosevelt Av/74th St

76th St

78th St

80th St

All Q29 stops.

East Elmhurst-bound: L on Roosevelt Av, left on 75th St, into bus terminal.

New Stops

82nd St/Roosevelt Av will be made on Roosevelt Av/82nd St

80th St

78th St

74th St Bus Terminal- Drop off/Pickup

Then all Q49 stops.

I like it.

Can you do few more routes?

Restore M104 however it will be follow M15 to 34th St and follows M34 to East 34th St Pier.

M16 Northbound enters 34th St Pier, then regular route on 34th St.

Then follows M42 to 10th Av, turn around at 56th St to 9th Av to due SB trip.

B39 and B51 combined and operate as loop. It will be relable as B39 Tillary St.

Williamsburg Bridge, Delancey St, Allen St, Pike St, East Broadway, Chatham Square, Park Row, then follows B51 into Manhattan Bridge. B/O change destination to Williamsburg, then after B51 loop, northbound will use Canal St, Lafayette St, Chambers St, Church St, Worth St, Cetre St, Kenmare-Delancey Sts to Williamsburg Bridge.

This also restore service on portion of Cetre St provided by M1 Weekday before the cut.

This will make B39/B51 ADA folks happy.

Express Bus

QM22 Midtown Pattern

6th Av or 3rd Av branch.

QM32 Downtown Pattern

Downtown Loop similar to QM25 except it use FDR Drive.

I like it.

Can you do few more routes?

Restore M104 however it will be follow M15 to 34th St and follows M34 to East 34th St Pier.

M16 Northbound enters 34th St Pier, then regular route on 34th St.

Then follows M42 to 10th Av, turn around at 56th St to 9th Av to due SB trip.

B39 and B51 combined and operate as loop. It will be relable as B39 Tillary St.

Williamsburg Bridge, Delancey St, Allen St, Pike St, East Broadway, Chatham Square, Park Row, then follows B51 into Manhattan Bridge. B/O change destination to Williamsburg, then after B51 loop, northbound will use Canal St, Lafayette St, Chambers St, Church St, Worth St, Cetre St, Kenmare-Delancey Sts to Williamsburg Bridge.

This also restore service on portion of Cetre St provided by M1 Weekday before the cut.

This will make B39/B51 ADA folks happy.

Express Bus

QM22 Midtown Pattern

6th Av or 3rd Av branch.

QM32 Downtown Pattern

Downtown Loop similar to QM25 except it use FDR Drive.

I don't really want to put present day routes on the map that just have a few small reroutes. I like the B39 idea though, I'll add it in when I get time. ;)

I have two routes I'd like to put on the map: the M54 (blue line) and the M81 (red line), both running from northern Manhattan and the Bronx to the Financial District. The M54 operates from 242 St/ Van Cortlandt Pk (1) station to the South Ferry (M15) SBS terminal, while the M81 operates from Fordham Plaza to the SBS terminal. The route map is here:

[GMAPS]:cool:<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004ac5f45916a0e2b18c&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.797715,-73.950715&spn=0.18477,0.12143&t=m&vpsrc=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200421088698928261912.0004ac5f45916a0e2b18c&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.797715,-73.950715&spn=0.18477,0.12143&t=m&vpsrc=6&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Manhattan Fantasy Buses</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

And the list of stops in both directions is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnZ8kqpdaDBrdHdoMVRrRDJuaVZFLTVrSEctbXlabXc&hl=en_US

Edited by engineerboy6561

M62 route is right as you put it.

I meant M62 to use 1st Av tunnel actually.

Looking at map, I got another idea.

NM88 Jones Beach-Midtown 6th Av Branch operated by Long Island Bus- Summer only via 6th Av service only.

6th Av Branch- Queens Midtown Tunnel, 2nd Av, 23rd St, 6th Av, 57th St, 2nd Av, 34th St, Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

@Gorgor: Maybe you could add these

1. My version of the BxM8 (not the renumbered 7A one, BTW), which goes from Chelsea Piers to Hunts Point. You can label it as the BxM12 if you like.

In Manhattan, its terminal is West Street and 18th Street. The streets go like this (Manhattan only).

Downtown:

a. Exists RFK, down 125th.

b. Turns on Frederick Douglas Blvd./Central Park West.

c. Turns on 66th Street, then turns on Columbus Avenue.

d. Descends down Columbus until reaching 14th Street.

e. After traveling down 14th, it turns on West Street and then will turn one more time on 18th (the M14D's terminal, too).

Northbound (Manhattan):

a. After leaving its terminal, goes up 18th, then down 9 Av.

b. Then turns on 14th until hitting 8th Avenue, where it'll turn there.

c. Goes straight up 8th Avenue/Central Park West.

d. Turns on 125th and goes straight down until hitting the RFK, where it'll go north into The Bronx.

2. The BxM5: From Houston Street to Country Club via 1-2-3-4-5. Manhattan's portion's like this (Manhattan only).

Southbound:

a. Exits RFK, down 125th.

b. Turns on Lexington Avenue.

c. Turns on 116th.

d. Turns on 2 Av and goes straight down to Houston Street.

Northbound:

a. Turns from Houston onto 1 Avenue.

b. Turns on 116th Street to 3rd Avenue.

c. Up 3rd Avenue to 125th.

d. Turns on 125th and travels onto the RFK to the Bronx.

3. The BxM15: From Bay Plaza (and Orchard Beach in the summer) to Astor Place via W./E. Fordham Road/Pelham Pkwy and Major Deegan (Cross-Bronx part time) in the Bronx and Midtown Manhattan. These parts are Manhattan only.

Downtown:

a. Exits RFK, down 125th.

b. Turns on 5th Avenue.

c. Turns on 86th Street.

d. Turns on 2nd Avenue to E. 42nd Street.

e. Turns on 42nd.

f. Turns on Park Avenue/Park Avenue South, then goes down Broadway before turning on E. 8th to the M1/2/3 terminal on 9th and 4th Avenue.

Northbound:

a. Up 4th Avenue/Park Avenue (South).

b. Turns on 42 Street.

c. Turns on 1st Avenue.

d. Turns on 86th Street.

e. Turns on Madison Avenue.

f. Turns on 125th and goes on the RFK to the Bronx.

More will come when I make more ideas. :P