A Manhattan Mom Versus The MTA | Booted from the +SBS15

mark1447

Mother and her children got kicked off the M15 +Select bus service because her Metro-Card is invalid and was fined $100 by the MTA Fare Inspector.

Who's to blame?

She should of went to the b/o and told him/her that her card wasn't working in the first place.

But the MTA Fare Inspector should of gave her a break and understanding.

Video from WNBC-4 New York:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/station/as-seen-on/A_Manhattan_Mom_Versus_The_MTA_New_York-108314724.html

She shouldn't bother suing the MTA. She should've never climbed on the bus if her Metrocard wasn't working. She deserved the fine, so she might as well pay $100 and move on.

Well, what if she had money in the Metro - Card, even tho the media says she has no fare on one of the cards. Shes just gonna stand there? She could talk to the b/o or go to the Lex IRT for metro.

She shouldn't bother suing the MTA. She should've never climbed on the bus if her Metrocard wasn't working. She deserved the fine, so she might as well pay $100 and move on.

I agree, if the card didn't work for the machines outside on the street, why did she even get on? Anyone can make that 'story' up. Let one person slip, and there will be other copycats out there.

Sucks for her, but she's gonna be held up as an example. She should've gone to the front and explained it to the b/o. At worst he/she will tell her to get off. That would be better than to take chances and stay on and get caught.

She was 'asking for it' by not asking.

The Metrocard is the key but I can't see A parent with kids on board going through this ordeal but if she knew about the malfunctioning card then she's at fault but how many times are the metrocards unreadable.

Fare Insp just wanted brownie points for this but let's face it this is NY and nothing is Easy , Which is why I take the Steps I take

SBS is not new at all to begin with, so it's the public's responsibility to figure out how Rapid Transit works for the Bx12 and the M15.

Sorry but, SBS is still new even if its a year old on the Bx12 and really new on M15. MTA responsibility is to educate the newbies and riding public to use the system in which the newbies or the riding public do whatever to try to get on especially taking a risk that you know there a fare inspectors.

Sounds like she's a pro at this making such statements that Metro-North and Bridges & Tunnels gives out envelopes if you don't have the fare

Exactly.

From the news report it said she had 3 Metrocards. The one that read invalid and two with "insufficient funds" So she KNEW she didn't have the fare and still got on the bus anyway.

If she had went right to the B/O when she got on the bus and explained the situation, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. Even the most hardened driver wouldn't leave a mother with 2 kids on a street corner. I'm not in the business of stranding people.

Now, I don't know if I would go so far as to kick a mother w/2 kids off the bus after writing her a ticket,but I can almost guarantee she gave the fare inspector a hard time about it and that's what probably prompted her to get put off.

SBS is not new at all to begin with, so it's the public's responsibility to figure out how Rapid Transit works for the Bx12 and the M15.

She knew how the off-board payment system worked, though. She chose to get on (without explaining anything to the bus driver) and risk getting caught and fined.

thats real s@#%ty stuff to kick a mother with 2 of her kids off the bus cause of an invalid card and to give her a $100 fine to boot.. Nah thats straight up wrong. Dragging 2 kids around with you and when one of the cards dont work, they should have let her pass. I doubt this lady goes around pulling this all the time taking advantage.

And you know what, this is a plain old DUMB system. Why cant the bus have a regular fare box on it? Why do they have to be so different with the way they are trying this new system? Screw that.. I hope it turns out like the BX12, no one pays,

When my Metrocard doesn't work in the subway, I don't jump the turnstyle 'cos I *think* my card is working.

Sorry the kids had to watch mom get thrown off the bus.

There have been plenty of times when the turnstile said swipe again and then the next time it said insufficient fare when I know there was 1 trip left and I either jumped it or went through the emergency exit. Or when theres supposed to be a transfer and the bus deducts a fare if there is any left on the card...I encourage everyone to do this. The MTA robs people blind with the glitches with their system.

There have been plenty of times when the turnstile said swipe again and then the next time it said insufficient fare when I know there was 1 trip left and I either jumped it or went through the emergency exit. Or when theres supposed to be a transfer and the bus deducts a fare if there is any left on the card...I encourage everyone to do this. The MTA robs people blind with the glitches with their system.

Then you deserve any ticket coming towards you. Many times when I've had this problem, I've gone up to the S/A who would let me in after I showed them my MetroCard and explained the problem.

You sound like a complete idiot telling people to jump the turnstile because you don't think you are getting your monies worth riding the system. Hopefully the cops will catch you when you do it again and you have to pay double what the fare is since you like to be, in essence, a criminal.

Like the saying goes, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Then you deserve any ticket coming towards you. Many times when I've had this problem, I've gone up to the S/A who would let me in after I showed them my MetroCard and explained the problem.

There were no station agents at the station this happened at. I was also carrying two big bags and walking out of the station to the next one wasnt an option.

You sound like a complete idiot telling people to jump the turnstile because you don't think you are getting your monies worth riding the system.

I never said it had anything to do with getting my money worth. It had to do with their glitch ridden metrocard system and the fault that it took the fare off my card even thought it said swipe again and then insufficient fare. Or when I take the bus and it charged me a fare instead of using the transfer on it..But I guess reading comprehension isnt your strong point.

I never said it had anything to do with getting my money worth. It had to do with their glitch ridden metrocard system and the fault that it took the fare off my card even thought it said swipe again and then insufficient fare. Or when I take the bus and it charged me a fare instead of using the transfer on it..But I guess reading comprehension isnt your strong point.

Oh I read your silly bullshit alright. If you have a glitch in your card, you go to where a station agent is and tell them that, even if it means you have to leave the station entirely to go to where the agent is. It sucks but the problem with your card might happen again elsewhere, so why not go to the part of the station where you can get help, if you know where to go? I would not risk the chance of getting arrested just because of that.

Oh I read your silly bullshit alright. If you have a glitch in your card, you go to where a station agent is and tell them that, even if it means you have to leave the station entirely to go to where the agent is. It sucks but the problem with your card might happen again elsewhere, so why not go to the part of the station where you can get help, if you know where to go? I would not risk the chance of getting arrested just because of that.

Nah F#$k that noise.. Like I said the time I jumped it was when I had 2 big bags with me. Im not going out of my way because of the MTAs stupid error. Im sick of them taking my money when they arnt supposed to. And you dont get arrested for hopping the turnstile, you just get a fine, cops are usually in the break room or in the cars parked next to the entrance sleeping anyway.

Archived