B39/B51 combo

error46146

Instead of cutting the B39 and B51, they should have made it more useful by combining the two...the route can run from the Marcy Ave subway, out to Manhattan, following the M103 route to City Hall, run it over the Brooklyn Bridge making stops in Downtown Brooklyn..

If that's not long enough to warrant its revival, make it even more useful and extend it out to Greenpoint and Boro Park

Sounds good?

Or you can extend the B24 over the Willy B (its a weekday only route anyway so they have buses to toy around with) and extend the B61 over the Manny B. The B24 is almost always empty by the time it gets to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, and the B61 ends right where the B51 used to end (actually at the same bus stop)

The bus will end up in the East River.

The bus can technically drive over the Brooklyn Bridge but its too tall since those overhangs are there

A better idea if some form of the B39 and B51 returns would be to merge it with other nearby routes.

With the B39, either the B24 or the Q59(alternative trips)would make the most sense to combine it with.

While with the B51 the only routes it makes sense to merge it with is either the B61 or even the B65. I suggest the B65 since it has lighter ridership than nearby routes of either the B25 or B45 serving Central Brooklyn.:eek:

Instead of cutting the B39 and B51, they should have made it more useful by combining the two...the route can run from the Marcy Ave subway, out to Manhattan, following the M103 route to City Hall, run it over the Brooklyn Bridge making stops in Downtown Brooklyn..

If that's not long enough to warrant its revival, make it even more useful and extend it out to Greenpoint and Boro Park

Sounds good?

Not to me, no....

Such a route would be subjected to heavy (vehicular) traffic of that of the manhattan AND the williamsburg bridge... you'd get w/e B51 pax gettin off at city hall, and the bus would pretty much run empty to Willy B. Plaza.... The M103 is so-so along the Bowery, so you wouldn't obtain many riders off that stretch anyway....

Delancey can just as bad as canal st, in terms of (pedestrian) traffic... you really don't want a bus traveling along it for any real length of time....

The MTA should revive both of them properly instead of creating separate bus routes that will partially serve where the B39/B51 used to travel to. *think think the new Bx4A/Bx24 that partially revived the Bx14*

I always thought the B51 should've been extended to BMCC....

The B39 could've been more useful in manhattan (for all you big on renaming, give it an 'M' route notation); not sure what routing it should've taken on, or where it could've actually went (further) in manhattan, though....

on the brooklyn end, no sense in extending it along, say, broadway, since you have the B46 already there... well that, and the old B40 havin gotten discontinued traveling down that same stretch of broadway, and then some....

A better idea if some form of the B39 and B51 returns would be to merge it with other nearby routes.

With the B39, either the B24 or the Q59(alternative trips)would make the most sense to combine it with.

While with the B51 the only routes it makes sense to merge it with is either the B61 or even the B65. I suggest the B65 since it has lighter ridership than nearby routes of either the B25 or B45 serving Central Brooklyn.:eek:

I side more w/ IRT Bx Express on this one... if there were anyway to possibly revive the two routes, it should've been (attempting) to enhance each individual route....

the B51 didn't need to get combined with anything.... merging it w/ the 65, forget about that... that's route's ridden by mostly senior citizens, and given the traffic b/w the manhattan bridge approach, and (along) tillary street, forget about it...

even though they interline @ times, I do wish they fuse the 65's schedule into the 45's though...

merging the old 51 into the current 61... there's a laugh... those riders fought to get the old 61 split into what it is today....

I mean, that would defeat the purpose bro - It'd take a similar amt. of time for buses to get to city hall from bishop ford... compared to the old 61 that went from Red Hook to LIC.....

Logic would dictate that the B39 should go somewhere where the subway doesn't, so Lower Manhattan is pretty much out of the question.

What would make sense would be if the M15 locals that end at Pike Street/Henry Street were rerouted to go over the Williamsburg Bridge. That would be an alternative for riders going to the East Side. As of now, any rider making going to the far East Side would have to get off the (J)/(M)/(Z) at Essex Street and take the M9, or walk over to Allen Street for the M15.

The only other route I can imagine combining it with would be the B24, from the Brooklyn side of the bridge. That way, riders from northern Williamsburg have direct access to Lower Manhattan.

What the current (or did they discontinue it?) dollar van is doing is going between Marcy Avenue and Union Square, so maybe that's an idea.

Logic would dictate that the B39 should go somewhere where the subway doesn't, so Lower Manhattan is pretty much out of the question.

What would make sense would be if the M15 locals that end at Pike Street/Henry Street were rerouted to go over the Williamsburg Bridge. That would be an alternative for riders going to the East Side. As of now, any rider making going to the far East Side would have to get off the (J)/(M)/(Z) at Essex Street and take the M9, or walk over to Allen Street for the M15.

The only other route I can imagine combining it with would be the B24, from the Brooklyn side of the bridge. That way, riders from northern Williamsburg have direct access to Lower Manhattan.

What the current (or did they discontinue it?) dollar van is doing is going between Marcy Avenue and Union Square, so maybe that's an idea.

I wonder how B39 and B51 riders have been doing particuarly the ADA community since those routes were canned.

Again since Essex St is not ADA accesible it's still dumb for the (MTA) to end B39 service. At least run it Weekdays until 11pm.

Checkmate that not a bad idea of extending the M15's Locals(those ending at Houston or Pike Slip) being send over the "Willy B." However IMO those routes should be rennamed the "M95" and run only to 96th St.

The capacity of the bridge is 18,700 tons. That'd be all the cars together. The (loosely regulated) posted weight limit is 3 tons.

Normal buses do not weigh 20 tons. An artic weighs 41,000 pounds = 20.5 tons. An RTS weighs about 13.5 tons, or 27,000 pounds. MCIs are 35,140 pounds a pop.

I should note though, an O7 fully loaded is 42,540 pounds or a bit over 21 tons.

Yeah, plus if a bus is like 3x the length of a car, wouldn't that almost average out to like 7tons [for the O7]? And it's not like run buses back to back and end to end on the bridge, as trains did run on the bridge before [though not sure how heavy they were]. To say the Brooklyn bridge can't handle such a bus is kinda stretching it.

Not to say it is ideal for buses, but not impossible, right?

As for the B39-51 merge, as stated - Bowery traffic is terrible and people would be better off walking to the (J) subway station and take the subway to either end of the bridges. The only such a merge would work is if car traffic is banned - which is impossible to do.

I've seen vehicles that are clearly over 3 tons using the bridge on a regular basis (vans, SUV's) but a bus would cause structural damage. Plus, the bridge was rated structurally deficient. The DOT wouldn't approve a bus route over the bridge.

As for the B39 and B51, the B39 would be more marketable if it ran to the East Village. A Williamsburg to East Village route would have decent ridership. If the B51 went a little deeper into Brooklyn (Park Slope/Grand Army Plaza) then that would be convenient.

I've seen vehicles that are clearly over 3 tons using the bridge on a regular basis (vans, SUV's) but a bus would cause structural damage. Plus, the bridge was rated structurally deficient. The DOT wouldn't approve a bus route over the bridge.

As for the B39 and B51, the B39 would be more marketable if it ran to the East Village. A Williamsburg to East Village route would have decent ridership. If the B51 went a little deeper into Brooklyn (Park Slope/Grand Army Plaza) then that would be convenient.

Speaking of B39, has anyone seen T&LC Commuter Group Share Van Driving Along B39 Route?

I never seen it when I was on M15 SBS.

According to the TLC, the only route left is the B71: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/group_ride_vehicles.shtml

These links say that the B39 van went from Williamsburg to Union Square:

http://capntransit.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-on-livery-van-program.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/group_ride_solicitation_notice.pdf

The routes no longer exist but to respond, merging the B39 and 51 in a effort to save them would have done no good. The 39 could have been saved by extending the route to the west a bit towards the Village as mentioned and had a steady ridership of mainly elderly riders and wheelchair users weren't uncommon to see.

The MTA should revive both of them properly instead of creating separate bus routes that will partially serve where the B39/B51 used to travel to. *think think the new Bx4A/Bx24 that partially revived the Bx14*

IRT I agree with you that the B39/B51 should return to their full and former routes but with service reductions. The B39 could still ran weekdays 530am-11pm and weekends 8am-8pm IMO.

I was suggesting either mergering them with nearby routes or extend them a little further i.e B51 to BCMM as B35 suggested or B39 to Union Square.

My gut is that the B39/B51 will only return if ever as restructured routes or an extension of a nearby line.

Archived