R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

From what I heard they are on standby but superintendents are trying their best to stay away from the R32s.

Appreciate the clarification.

yeah Im hearing the same, they need to figure out something because they are dead set on doing phase 1 of reopening meaning more people will be taking the train. These damn R179's had to f**k up at the worst possible time. If they have reduced service like before then its gonna be a bigger problem with overcrowding.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that many people are going to be returning to work in Phase 1.  Just construction and manufacturing.  It's not like all the office workers are going to be all of a sudden commuting again.  That probably won't happen until we have a vaccine, if ever.

2 minutes ago, Collin said:

Not that many people are going to be returning to work in Phase 1.  Just construction and manufacturing.  It's not like all the office workers are going to be all of a sudden commuting again.  That probably won't happen until we have a vaccine, if ever.

no one is saying that, do you know how many people that is, the whole point is to keep trains less crowded. they are already barely crowded now, I took the train yesterday and there was a decent amount of people. You are gonna have more people out the house on top of the construction workers and etc. Non Essential businesses can open back up too for curbside pick up so that's more people needed for work. But with the looting going on i can say within a week or two after the 7th those places could re open.

6 hours ago, happy283 said:

when do you think they will be back? And this is exactly why hundreds of cars should not have been retired just days after they returned in January. In January, full service could be operated because the 222 R32s and 50 R42s were in storage and available. Now, due to idiocy, alot of those cars were stripped for parts. You could see this coming because the R179s are the most unreliable cars and the MTAs biggest liability. Everyone complained about the R32 for reliability but at least the R32s werent a danger to the riders.

I don’t know. Hopefully sooner rather than later because Transit will very likely be caught flat-footed if the entire R179 fleet is still sidelined come Monday morning. 

30 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The 32 puts out much cooler air than the 46 HVAC in my experience...  The 46 HVAC is much more reliable though as I have yet to come across a hot car in that fleet, where's it's happened quite a few times with the 32s.

What is it with the R32’s HVAC units that they always seem to have more problems than any other fleet? It’s been happening for many years. Maybe my memory of the other 60-foot SMEE-era cars (R38, R40 and R42) and the 75-footers rebuilt in the late 80s/early 90s is failing me, but I don’t recall the other cars’ A/C units having so much trouble. Granted, the R32s cars didn’t have A/C originally (I remember those days when they were a mainstay on the (D) ), but wasn’t the big GOH which completely gutted their interiors and took away their front marker lights and roll signs supposed to rectify this?

I heard a rumor that the MTA employees had a meeting today to discuss the equipment shortage and the half cab issues. From what I heard they may not want to use the R32s but then that begs the question of how service will be affected and what cars will operate in place of the R179.

1 minute ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I don’t know. Hopefully sooner rather than later because Transit will very likely be caught flat-footed if the entire R179 fleet is still sidelined come Monday morning.

It probably will be two weeks if they want to do a thourough investigation of the incident and proper inspection of the cars. This was a serious incident and I dont think they will be rushing things just to get them back by monday.

15 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

no one is saying that, do you know how many people that is, the whole point is to keep trains less crowded. they are already barely crowded now, I took the train yesterday and there was a decent amount of people. You are gonna have more people out the house on top of the construction workers and etc. Non Essential businesses can open back up too for curbside pick up so that's more people needed for work. But with the looting going on i can say within a week or two after the 7th those places could re open.

According to Cuomo, between 200,000 and 400,000 people are expected to go back to work on phase 1. Out of that number, there are going to be a lot of people that will not ride the subway due to fear of getting sick, so they're going to drive. The number of people that will ride the subway for phase 1 will most likely be within the 5 digit range. Split that into all subway lines and the results would be still very uncrowded trains.

With these numbers, the MTA  capable of limiting or even suspending C service, and have some or all A trains run local between 145-168 and in Brooklyn, while B, and E trains would replace the C for the rest of the line.

Hopefully, the MTA has a much better plan than that.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

According to Cuomo, between 200,000 and 400,000 people are expected to go back to work on phase 1. Out of that number, there are going to be a lot of people that will not ride the subway due to fear of getting sick, so they're going to drive. The number of people that will ride the subway for phase 1 will most likely be within the 5 digit range. Split that into all subway lines and the results would be still very uncrowded trains.

it'll be packed, its getting hot out. some people don't give a shit and don't have cars. people come up with these numbers but don't see that people who are non Essential ( I hate using that word) are gonna use the system too. so you add that up. if people were scared to take the system, the essential workers would have took uber to work in which not everyone could afford.

2 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

What is it with the R32’s HVAC units that they always seem to have more problems than any other fleet? It’s been happening for many years. Maybe my memory of the other 60-foot SMEE-era cars (R38, R40 and R42) and the 75-footers rebuilt in the late 80s/early 90s is failing me, but I don’t recall the other cars’ A/C units having so much trouble. Granted, the R32s cars didn’t have A/C originally (I remember those days when they were a mainstay on the (D) ), but wasn’t the big GOH which completely gutted their interiors and took away their front marker lights and roll signs supposed to rectify this?

I remember the Redbirds on the A Division had busted air-conditioning all the time; it was practically a given in the late-'90s/early-2000s that at least one car in the train was hot  (the other thing that sucked were those giant poles they installed to support the A/C units- way too close to the seats and too wide to hold on to, anyway).  Phase II R32s also had A/C problems I recall- riding the (E) in the summer was always a crapshoot back then.  Only other hot cars I've experienced in the last 15 years or so have been R46s, R62As, and one R40.  It's like Wheel of Fortune in that regard I guess...

7 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

it'll be packed, its getting hot out. some people don't give a shit and don't have cars. people come up with these numbers but don't see that people who are non Essential ( I hate using that word) are gonna use the system too. so you add that up. if people were scared to take the system, the essential workers would have took uber to work in which not everyone could afford.

Assuming everyone is going to drive really isnt the way to go. The MTA needs to act as if all 200-400k people will need the train and plan accordingly. If they used the R32, they should be fine.

18 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Every other person I’ve spoken with in the city and on LI seems to be clueless about the phases part of the re-opening. In my experience in RTO the office worker made up the biggest customer base. The majority of those folks aren’t coming back in droves any time soon. I know two people that have been hired to rearrange some Midtown office spaces. The holdups to a quick return to normal are social distancing in office jobs and retail establishments. That’s why the staggered work hours is being stressed. My wife works for an essential business on LI. The workforce is either working from home or social distancing in the building. The parking lots in the Industrial district are empty except for the medical supply folks. Traffic on the LIE to and from the city to Suffolk County is no problem  even in the rush hours and the HOV lanes are almost empty. There’s a reason why the LIRR Ronkonkoma Branch is running weekend hourly service to the city. Phase One is the easy step to getting back to normal. How the office situation works out is how soon the real return to the new normal happens. The Governor, Mayor, and the County Execs will be the arbiter of when the (MTA) ramps up services. I don’t think it’s around the corner yet. You seem to understand the big picture. Just my opinion. Carry on.

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I've always found the R62A HVAC the most problematic, but maybe that's just me.

Most times I've taken the (C) with an R32 the HVAC was functional. 

Moving on, since this is now the 2nd time the R179 fleet has been placed out of service, will (MTA) be doing more thorough inspections before letting them leave the yard next time? And I really hope they finally listen and leave the R32's in service until the R211's get here. Look at how they're transferring sets back and forth because the R32's aren't ready to be brought back into service yet.

59 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

non Essential ( I hate using that word)

I totally agree.  I find it quite repulsive as it's a fancy way of saying that everyone else is worth nothing to society.  Second class citizens.

Back to discussion of the R179s, there's no reason to keep the R32's in active service once the R179s are back.  Keep them in reserve maybe, but their use should be kept to an absolute minimum if at all.  Not only is the HVAC bad for summer, but it's considered unsafe during the pandemic where the conductor has to change cars.  That might have something to do with why they don't want to reactivate them in the first place.

I would say no (Z), some 8 car R160s on the (C), and R143s on the (J).  The (A) could borrow R46s from Coney Island Yard, R68s from Concourse Yard, or R160s from Jamaica Yard.  Just depends on which yards have stuff available.  The spare ratio would be greatly reduced, but it's only a temporary problem.

If the R32s are reactivated, I would expect them to run in 10 car trains on the (A) and 8 car trains on the (J).  Since it's summer, I don't anticipate them going on the (C).  

4 minutes ago, Collin said:

I would say no (Z), some 8 car R160s on the (C), and R143s on the (J).  The (A) could borrow R46s from Coney Island Yard, R68s from Concourse Yard, or R160s from Jamaica Yard.  Just depends on which yards have stuff available.  The spare ratio would be greatly reduced, but it's only a temporary problem.

If the R32s are reactivated, I would expect them to run in 10 car trains on the (A) and 8 car trains on the (J).  Since it's summer, I don't anticipate them going on the (C).  

What would take the place of R160s displaced from ENY since they already have a fleet shortage?

4 minutes ago, happy283 said:

What would take the place of R160s displaced from ENY since they already have a fleet shortage?

R160's (C) like before with R46's

(A) would be R32/46

(J)(Z) would be R32,R143/160

if they did it that way. but it's a wait and see at this point.

8 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

R160's (C) like before with R46's

(A) would be R32/46

(J)(Z) would be R32,R143/160

if they did it that way. but it's a wait and see at this point.

What if there is not a reactivation of R32s? They already displaced some of the R160s from ENY. How many of each car type will be assigned to each line?

Edited by happy283

(A) could use mainly R46 and some R68/R68A borrowed but not sure because (B)(W) will also return to passenger service on Monday and using most of the Subway cars on (D) Concourse and (G)(N)(Q) Coney Island Yards, (C) could use some R46 and R160 they probably will use some R32.

(J) may still have enough cars of R143 and R160 to use.

Like today (A) was 100% R46 and (C) used mostly  R46 and a few R160 sets. (C) uses less R46 sets and (A) use more sets.

12 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(A) could use mainly R46 and some R68/R68A borrowed but not sure because (B)(W) will also return to passenger service on Monday and using most of the Subway cars on (D) Concourse and (G)(N)(Q) Coney Island Yards, (C) could use some R46 and R160 they probably will use some R32.

(J) may still have enough cars of R143 and R160 to use.

Like today (A) was 100% R46 and (C) used mostly  R46 and a few R160 sets. (C) uses less R46 sets and (A) use more sets.

Full service means all lines are operating on weekday schedule. The (J) may be short because they sent some R160s to the (C) despite ENYs fleet shortage. Does anyone know why ENY sent cars out when they are short?

1 minute ago, happy283 said:

Full service means all lines are operating on weekday schedule. The (J) may be short because they sent some R160s to the (C) despite ENYs fleet shortage. Does anyone know why ENY sent cars out when they are short?

Reduced Headways and no (Z) service

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

its enough now but if full service except late nights starts this Monday, then they will need some cars.

That doesnt exactly answer my question. What I was asking is how many sets will be available for the (J) and (Z)(if there even is (Z) service) Usually they get a total of 18 trains total on a normal weekday schedule. They will need the R160s that were sent to the (C) back if there is any chance at normal service on that line.