R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

So, apparently no one caught this yesterday, but they took out both the 8-car train (3050-3053's first time on the mainline btw) and the 10-car train, ran them separately down to the test track, then ran them back up to Pitkin together as a long 18-car train around noon. The 8-car train then went back out to the test track for additional testing later in the afternoon.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will 179s and 160s be allowed to run together in a consist?

No non of the NTT's can run together because of different propulsion's. That's why you cannot link a R160 to a R143 and I think R142 and R142A's have a problem if they are linked together. One car would end up pulling the other in a sense because they are incompatible with one another.

No non of the NTT's can run together because of different propulsion's. That's why you cannot link a R160 to a R143 and I think R142 and R142A's have a problem if they are linked together. One car would end up pulling the other in a sense because they are incompatible with one another.

That's not entirely true.  It has to do with electrical incompatibilities between the car types more than the propulsion.  While rare, an R160 Alstom/Siemens set could run together if absolutely necessary, but the Siemens sets accelerate and brake slightly faster, causing the "pushing/pulling" you mentioned.

Make sure you take some footage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I saw it once when I was waiting at Euclid for the next (A) train.

If I do see it again, why not?

What I saw: circa November 2016, on the uptown EXP track

The side displays are crisper, less bold text, and the lighting is at least 7500K (very blue). The technicians were on board with laptops and measuring equipment. The holding poles are the bulge in middle type.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Here we have 3015 signed up as a B train and 3010 signed up as a L train. One of the 4-car sets is parked behind 3010's set, making a "9-car" set lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTgfpLTlUZI

Is it fair to assert some R68 cars could also be replaced?

The R32 "Detroit's" are fifty [emoji69] , but how old are the R68s? Thirty, thirty-five? [emoji53]

Sometimes I notice that the NYCT pairs two different five car sets, because the lighting isn't the same.

Question: can an R160 Alstom 5 car be linked to a Bombardier R160 5 car without issue?

The side displays are crisper, less bold text, and the lighting is at least 7500K (very blue). The technicians were on board with laptops and measuring equipment. The holding poles are the bulge in middle type.

The R32 "Detroit's" are fifty [emoji69] , but how old are the R68s? Thirty, thirty-five? [emoji53]

Yeah they are very unique with the new propulsions and the curved stanchions on the interior

Sometimes I notice that the NYCT pairs two different five car sets, because the lighting isn't the same.

Question: can an R160 Alstom 5 car be linked to a Bombardier R160 5 car without issue?

You mean an Alstom 160 (160A) to a Kawaski 160 (160B)?

The Alstom propulsion 160Bs are always mixed with the Alstom 160As, nothing different between them other than who built it.

Once in a while you'll find a Siemens propulsion 160B paired with a Alstom propulsion 160B or 160A, but it can happen at random.

More minor aesthetic differences for anyone who's interested.
• The speaker configuration on the R179s is more like that of the R142s.  The R160s speakers are in the same configuration as the R142As/R143s.
• The door leafs are hidden behind the ads on the R179; on the R160, they're placed above the ads.
• The door indicator lights are slightly different on the two cars.
• All R179s have four stanchions per car; on the R160s, the A cars have five stanchions and the B cars have four.
• The interior electronic sign cover on the R179s is rounded on the top like the R142s, but square on the R160s.
• The ceiling loop pole has less mounting screws on the R179s than on the R160s.
• The roof HVAC grille is smaller and thinner on the R179s than on the R160s.  The heating ducts are also thinner on the R179s.
• The R179s have additional grab bars on the blind ends that are identical to the ones found on the cab walls; the R160s do not have these.

While exhaustive, there are other minor differences that I may have missed.

So, apparently no one caught this yesterday, but they took out both the 8-car train (3050-3053's first time on the mainline btw) and the 10-car train, ran them separately down to the test track, then ran them back up to Pitkin together as a long 18-car train around noon. The 8-car train then went back out to the test track for additional testing later in the afternoon.

I was wondering if anybody else saw that. I passed a train of R179s heading north by Howard Beach last Friday that seemed really long while on the A train going to my grandmas at Beach 25th St.

That's not entirely true. It has to do with electrical incompatibilities between the car types more than the propulsion. While rare, an R160 Alstom/Siemens set could run together if absolutely necessary, but the Siemens sets accelerate and brake slightly faster, causing the "pushing/pulling" you mentioned.

Thanks for the correction I had a feeling they weren't electrically compatible with one another but I wasn't 100% sure.

There are no Bombardier 5-car sets of R160s, there are siemens sets tho.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I believe that's what I saw. The undercarriage utility boxes passing by had their logo.

The R68s aren't being replaced any time soon. It was just crew playing with the signs.

Thanks for clarifying. I noticed a (D) running on a R160 about five weeks ago, and heard one from the opposite uptown platform at DeKalb last week.

It said,

This is a Manhattan-bound, (?) Local train. The next stop is, (??An?) St.

? = Incoherent.

I could be mistaken. It could've be a (Q).

I was wondering if anybody else saw that. I passed a train of R179s heading north by Howard Beach last Friday that seemed really long while on the A train going to my grandmas at Beach 25th St.

I've heard they added an extra six feet to the car (3' on each end). Maybe those are the ones being tested for gangway doors?

The Alstom propulsion 160Bs are always mixed with the Alstom 160As, nothing different between them other than who built it.

Once in a while you'll find a Siemens propulsion 160B paired with a Alstom propulsion 160B or 160A, but it can happen at random.

I answered a question based on details by @DJ_TORO but it was really an answer to yours.

It was a single five car set.

The logos were on a matte label instead of a shiny one (like the Alstom ones are).

That helps. Thanks for clarifying.

I believe that's what I saw. The undercarriage utility boxes passing by had their logo.

Thanks for clarifying. I noticed a (D) running on a R160 about five weeks ago, and heard one from the opposite uptown platform at DeKalb last week.

It said,

This is a Manhattan-bound, (?) Local train. The next stop is, (??An?) St.

? = Incoherent.

I could be mistaken. It could've be a (Q).

That was probably a (R) or (W)

I've heard they added an extra six feet to the car (3' on each end). Maybe those are the ones being tested for gangway doors?

Nope. R179s and R211s will have the same length as the R160: 60 feet, 6 inches 

That was probably a (R) or (W)

Jay St - MetroTech has 5 syllables. I only heard two or three.

Nope. R179s and R211s will have the same length as the R160: 60 feet, 6 inches

That's good to know. Makes sense because those metrics I gave would require a lengthier platform.

Oops.

Another question?

Do the R211 head cars have rollers or an actual digital display for the route symbol?

I ask because I don't take concept art seriously when it comes to the MTA... Like the 4th Avenue "remodelings" that look like refurbished originals.

Jay St - MetroTech has 5 syllables. I only heard two or three.

That's good to know. Makes sense because those metrics I gave would require a lengthier platform.

Oops.

Another question?

Do the R211 head cars have rollers or an actual digital display for the route symbol?

I ask because I don't take concept art seriously when it comes to the MTA... Like the 4th Avenue "remodelings" that look like refurbished originals.

Digital LCD 

not related to the 179 but BBD is getting pounded first threatened with loss of toronto light rail contract and now this

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/03/testing-hiccups-slows-rollout-of-barts-new-train-cars/

BART really cannot afford for those cars to become lemons. Their entire fleet (while still able to hit 70mph everyday), is really starting to suffer with overheating. Bombardier really needs to get their act together before it puts BART in a deep hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could technically be either LED or LCD.

LED panels would be smarter, as they could be much brighter and possibly more reliable. It would also be far easier to get an LED grid in that size and shape. That type of digital signage is a commodity item these days. They come in all sizes, pixel densities, and brightness levels.

Square LCD panels are a rare specialty item, and don't come in many sizes. 

Will 179s and 160s be allowed to run together in a consist?

According to Wikipedia, "The R179 cars are equipped with updated control systems, HVAC and public address systems to guarantee the utmost in safety and passenger comfort. They are visually very similar to the R160s, but the two car types are not interoperable with each other due to electrical incompatibilities between the two types of cars."

I thought they were LEDs?

To answer your question, according to Wikipedia, "The R179s, like the R160s, employ an advanced alternative to electronic strip maps, called the "Flexible Information and Notice Display," or "FIND." They are manufactured by Panasonic. This includes an LCD screen displaying the route, route information, and advertisements, as well as a dynamic red, yellow, and green LED strip map that displays the next ten stations, plus five consecutive "further stops" to riders. There are three of these in every car. The display updates the stations at every stop, also giving the number of stops to each station listed. This allows for instant route or line changes with the correct information, which includes, but is not limited to, omitting certain stops (displayed as "Will not stop" in red). The LCD displays where the route is displayed are slightly larger than those on the R160s. If the FIND has gone blank, the R179 FIND displays "Route change: this map is not in use", as opposed to the R160 FIND, which displays "Listen to train crew for announcement."