R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not surprised. Do you know when the next sets will be coming in or if there any issues with the order?

According to Wikipedia,

"The first production cars are expected to be delivered in February 2017. The first 88 to 92 cars are intended be delivered by the third quarter of 2017, the first 210 are intended to be delivered by the first quarter of 2018, and all cars are expected to be on property by July 2018."

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Just passing Pitkin Yard I've seen the whole 10 car R179 train but next to it there's and R179 I think it's another 5 car set with the (A) as the route display

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That has to be the 4 car set. There won't be another delivery until next month... They're probably testing the digital components of the train.

Edited by DJ TORO

According to Wikipedia,

"The first production cars are expected to be delivered in February 2017. The first 88 to 92 cars are intended be delivered by the third quarter of 2017, the first 210 are intended to be delivered by the first quarter of 2018, and all cars are expected to be on property by July 2018."

Ugh..... wikipedia is not really a good source for transportation information....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ugh..... wikipedia is not really a good source for transportation information....

That particular piece of information is straight from board documents...

They were from last spring so things may have changed, but that's as official as it gets for now...

wikipedia is not really a good source for transportation information....

Almost as bad as subchat- got a good laugh a few weeks ago when somebody told me about some n00bs over there arguing that the R42s were going to be retired before the end of the year.  A pile of horseshit if I ever saw one LMAO...

Edited by R10 2952

As stated, this came from an MTA document.

Almost as bad as subchat- got a good laugh a few weeks ago when somebody told me about some n00bs over there arguing that the R42s were going to be retired before the end of the year.  A pile of horseshit if I ever saw one LMAO...

I edit transit articles on wikipedia. I make sure that any information I add is credible. I do not use this website, subchat or railroad.net as sources. I use sources such as the MTA itself, subway books, NYCTA annual reports, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, the New York Times and newspapers from Fulton History. My user name is Kew Gardens 613. I have drastically increased the size of articles such as the 42nd Street Shuttle, the Second Avenue Subway, the Staten Island Railway and so on. I have created several articles, like the History of the Staten Island Railway, and the North Shore Branch articles. I have helped make the New York City Subway, Staten Island Railway, Aqueduct Racetrack, Kew Gardens–Union Tpke, 75th Avenue, and several other articles Good Articles. These have to be reviewed to reach such a status. That are thoroughly looked through. Initially, the Staten Island Railway article had almost no information, and the information it had was copied from a book. I replaced all that information, and found credible sources, and I found so much information that the History of the Staten Island Railway article had to be split off. I work hard to make the articles better. There are some editors from here that do a good job, but there are some others that mess up the articles. Every so often I see trolls try to screw up the articles, but they quickly get reverted.

If there are any blatant errors in some transit articles on wikipedia, please tell me. I can fix it and I will fix it when I can. While I don't recommend looking at wikipedia as your first source, a lot of the transit articles have good and credible information.

That particular piece of information is straight from board documents...

They were from last spring so things may have changed, but that's as official as it gets for now...

Even so, from the look of that Wiki article, anyone could think that's exactly what's going to happen with the R179s. It's probably Transit's delivery timetable under a best-case scenario. It certainly could take longer to have all 300 R179s in revenue service.

Agreed, but then again, every message board has posters who think they know better than everybody else. But for sure there will be people riding aging R42s to school, work or play in 2018. Now, perhaps 2018 may be the last year they're in service. But definitely not this year.

Agreed, but then again, every message board has posters who think they know better than everybody else.

Couldn't have said it better myself- it's just that I get real tired of all the misinformation and nonsense that goes on, especially from some of the non-employees who act like they're "backseat RTO".  I might talk a lot, but I always defer to what the actual TA personnel have to say because I know barely 10% of what they do about the system and operations.

But for sure there will be people riding aging R42s to school, work or play in 2018. Now, perhaps 2018 may be the last year they're in service. But definitely not this year.

True, they've definitely lasted longer than expected.  And I wonder how many of those who complain about the current MK-rebuild R42s were actually riding the subways when the horrific CI-rebuild R42s were around; the ones on the (B) and (N) were a particular shitshow back in '05-06.

Edited by R10 2952

Ok, folks. Here's concrete information, straight from board documents...

-Production cars: September 2017

-End of delivery: July/ August 2018

-the chart on page 34 seems to indicate further delivery of pilot cars in February and April ( :huh:), with 100 total by December, 200 total by April 2018.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170123_1345_CPOC.pdf(pages 33-36)

Ok, folks. Here's concrete information, straight from board documents...

-Production cars: September 2017

-End of delivery: July/ August 2018

-the chart on page 34 seems to indicate further delivery of pilot cars in February and April ( :huh:), with 100 total by December, 200 total by April 2018.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170123_1345_CPOC.pdf(pages 33-36)

According to the chart, it seems they want to have two full 8-car trains on property in April (total of 26 "pilot" cars). This likely means that the 10-car train will continue to reside in Pitkin, while the 8-car trains will go to 207 and ENY for train/maintenance crew familiarization purposes.