R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the 5 car assignments ?

Is it the Q or A ?

Are you serious bro? The A of course. They're running a few 10 car R32s on the A line. In total there will be 5 R179 (10 car) trains running on the A line.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Remains to be seen at this point. Some sources say A, some sources say Q. We'll see what actually happens after the 30-day test.

Speaking of which, what is the testing process? We've already had the Broad Channel test track portion and the system wide clearance testing so what's next?

Speaking of which, what is the testing process? We've already had the Broad Channel test track portion and the system wide clearance testing so what's next?

The 30 day non-revenue testing of the train along the line in which the train will run. This includes stopping at each station making announcements and the opening and closing of the doors opposite the platform.

I think they should put them on the (A)....The (A) in my opinion is in desprite need of 10 car trains....

Check the Mean Distance Between Failure stats... the R46 is doing better than what people think

It's the R32s and 42s that really have to go

The 32s for mechanical reasons... the MDBF is so bad that it's actually costs more to keep them around but compared to the issues the 42s are dealing with (leaking roofs and compromised undercarriages) they really have to go asap

As soon as 12 or so 8 car trains of 179s come in... then we'll really see the end of the R42s

The 32s would still remain around until the R211 order

February?!

That sounds a bit too good to be true...

Probably because it is too good to be true. They have to go thru the 30-day non -revenue then the 30 day revenue. And some keep forgetting that is one little thing goes wrong, even so much as an indication light not working properly, the 30-day test starts all over again. And I don't even think they have a full 8-car set to even see service on the J/Z yet. Has the second 4-car unit come in yet?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Check the Mean Distance Between Failure stats... the R46 is doing better than what people think

It's the R32s and 42s that really have to go

The 32s for mechanical reasons... the MDBF is so bad that it's actually costs more to keep them around but compared to the issues the 42s are dealing with (leaking roofs and compromised undercarriages) they really have to go asap

As soon as 12 or so 8 car trains of 179s come in... then we'll really see the end of the R42s

The 32s would still remain around until the R211 order

They're not retiring anything

Probably because it is too good to be true. They have to go thru the 30-day non -revenue then the 30 day revenue. And some keep forgetting that is one little thing goes wrong, even so much as an indication light not working properly, the 30-day test starts all over again. And I don't even think they have a full 8-car set to even see service on the J/Z yet. Has the second 4-car unit come in yet?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

No, and strike the February prediction. Don't expect either 30-days for a while lol.

Are you serious bro? The A of course. They're running a few 10 car R32s on the A line. In total there will be 5 R179 (10 car) trains running on the A line.

Dude, there are only four 10-car sets, 3010-3049....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I assume the 4 car set is getting the testing equipment installed on it hence why it hasn't ran yet.... but the 10 car set has just been sitting in Pikin Yard collecting dust these past couple of weeks?

Yes... It's going to be tested in the Rockaways before it's tested anywhere else...

I assume the 4 car set is getting the testing equipment installed on it hence why it hasn't ran yet.... but the 10 car set has just been sitting in Pikin Yard collecting dust these past couple of weeks?

When they test, they don't necessarily have to leave the yard limits. Just because you don't see the train in the Rockaways doesn't necessarily mean they're sitting idly on their hands not doing anything with the train.

Yeah, they can test things like the sign displays, the HVAC system and the side doors in the yard. They can also get the "little things" done like getting the mechanics and the train crews familiarized with the train.

Just getting the first trainsets to run on their own and brake successfully *is* half the battle however, and so far so good in that department, at least with the 5 car sets.