R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

To answer your question, according to Wikipedia, "The R179s, like the R160s, employ an advanced alternative to electronic strip maps, called the "Flexible Information and Notice Display," or "FIND." They are manufactured by Panasonic. This includes an LCD screen displaying the route, route information, and advertisements, as well as a dynamic red, yellow, and green LED strip map that displays the next ten stations, plus five consecutive "further stops" to riders. There are three of these in every car. The display updates the stations at every stop, also giving the number of stops to each station listed. This allows for instant route or line changes with the correct information, which includes, but is not limited to, omitting certain stops (displayed as "Will not stop" in red). The LCD displays where the route is displayed are slightly larger than those on the R160s. If the FIND has gone blank, the R179 FIND displays "Route change: this map is not in use", as opposed to the R160 FIND, which displays "Listen to train crew for announcement."

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It would be nice to see a photo or video of these FINDs as they are actually installed in the R179s that have been delivered. (not photos of the ones as installed in the R160s, similar though they may be)

Edited by subwayboy

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay St - MetroTech has 5 syllables. I only heard two or three.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

That's good to know. Makes sense because those metrics I gave would require a lengthier platform.

Oops.

Another question?

Do the R211 head cars have rollers or an actual digital display for the route symbol?

I ask because I don't take concept art seriously when it comes to the MTA... Like the 4th Avenue "remodelings" that look like refurbished originals.

To answer your question in regards to the R211 bullet sign, according to Wikipedia, "To designate the route, a large LED screen with the route bullet will be displayed at the ends of the train similar to trains with rollsigns; in addition, the route's destination will be displayed above the door on the front. There will also be a few changes in interior appearance. Updated FIND displays would be installed."

To answer your question in regards to the R211 bullet sign, according to Wikipedia, "To designate the route, a large LED screen with the route bullet will be displayed at the ends of the train similar to trains with rollsigns; in addition, the route's destination will be displayed above the door on the front. There will also be a few changes in interior appearance. Updated FIND displays would be installed."

I just finished reading it.

I also went over the footnotes. These were the victims of cost overruns, and there was a tidbit in which Kawasaki & Alstom protested the contract with the warnings that have now amounted to current problems.

The best way to find out is the Wikipedia page. Their info is pretty accurate.

That's the LAST place you rely on information from since it's easy editable.

I can change it and say the 179s will have a propulsion powered by pizza hungry subway rats.

That's the LAST place you rely on information from since it's easy editable.

I can change it and say the 179s will have a propulsion powered by pizza hungry subway rats.

I edit wikipedia and I edit transportation pages and I have created several. While I can't say this about other sections of it, the NYC transportation articles have factual information. I have had many articles reviewed and made good articles. I will say this again and again, if you find anything that is incorrect, please tell me. If you want to see my contributions, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kew_Gardens_613

or here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Kew_Gardens_613%27s_Railroad-Related_Projects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Kew_Gardens_613%27s_Bus-Related_Projects

I edit wikipedia and I edit transportation pages and I have created several. While I can't say this about other sections of it, the NYC transportation articles have factual information. I have had many articles reviewed and made good articles. I will say this again and again, if you find anything that is incorrect, please tell me. If you want to see my contributions, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kew_Gardens_613

or here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Kew_Gardens_613%27s_Railroad-Related_Projects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/Kew_Gardens_613%27s_Bus-Related_Projects

I believe his point was to say that wikipedia CAN/MAY be unreliable since it can be edited by ANYONE. Therefore it may not always be the best place to find information.

It took 3 minutes.

Yup!

Wiki is crowdsourced, but actually quite reliable. You'll always hear stories of crazy things slipping under the radar, but that's life. You can trust it.

And for all of you who still won't trust it, then you shouldn't use Google maps either. It's crowdsourced too.

I find it funny that some of the people shouting about how wikipedia isn't a reliable source for info whenever other people cite it are the same ones spreading false rumors about happenings around the system, then have nothing to say when the complete opposite actually happens.

Is it fair to assert some R68 cars could also be replaced?

The R32 "Detroit's" are fifty [emoji69] , but how old are the R68s? Thirty, thirty-five? [emoji53]

"Detroit's"? I've never heard the R32s called Detroits. Brightliners, yes. Detroits, no. They weren't even made in Detroit.

No R68 is 35 years old. The oldest ones on the (D) line began service in 1986.

"Detroit's"? I've never heard the R32s called Detroits. Brightliners, yes. Detroits, no. They weren't even made in Detroit.

No R68 is 35 years old. The oldest ones on the (D) line began service in 1986.

My mistake. You're right. Thanks for clarifying that.3b0e18c31725348e23067328e0fb9d1a.jpg

I've always found that Wikipedia articles are as good and reliable as their sources are. If an article has a bunch of crap sources, or worst none at all, then of course the article's credibility is crap. The flip-side of that is also true. If there is legitimate information that can be easily backed up with the cited sources, there's nothing wrong with the article in question, despite its crowd-sourced information gathering methods. It's part of the reason why I subscribe to the belief that Wikipedia cannot be used as a source, but it can be used as a springboard for your research.

To bring this back to the topic at hand, I see the exterior LED displays are much longer than the ones on the 160s. The scrolling signs currently on the 160s would likely fit with room to spare on the 179s.

R179 Entry into service plans:

The (C) will go 100% R179. It was previously expected by some that a few R32's or R160's will hang around. I've been saying for the last 3 years that I don't see it, but anything can still happen. The R160's will return to ENY Yard for (J)(M)(Z) service.

Assignments are as follows: (A) 10-car and (C)(J) 8-car only as of right now. 

Source: RTO

Edited by East New York

The (C) will go 100% R179. It was previously expected by some that a few R32's or R160's will hang around. I've been saying for the last 3 years that I don't see it, but anything can still happen. The R160's will return to ENY Yard for (J)(M)(Z) service.

No chance of them appearing on the (Z)?

If they appear on the (J) there is no reason for them to not appear on the (Z) as well...

He was just asking him since he didn't say it, sheesh...

Any ideas on when they will start their simulated stop testing?

I kinda had the same thought about the assignments.....Only if they made more 10 car sets for the  (A)....

He was just asking him since he didn't say it, sheesh...

Any ideas on when they will start their simulated stop testing?

This summer as Fan Railer has pointed out time and time again.