Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4,909 posts in this topic Last Reply

5 hours ago, Lance said:

As the 211s are the designated replacement for the 46s, it's a strong possibility that those cars will run on the (A) and (C) lines. Of course, the MTA might pull a fast one and shuffle the 160s around so that 8th Avenue gets more hand-me-downs in lieu of the new cars going elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Except that some of the R211s will be CBTC-equipped for Eighth Avenue CBTC as multiple MTA documents have shown.

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Except that some of the R211s will be CBTC-equipped for Eighth Avenue CBTC as multiple MTA documents have shown.

Speaking of CBTC. I don't get why (MTA) is slow with this (to me it's not the answer to improving our signals.) Not sure about Ultra Wideband though. 

22 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Speaking of CBTC. I don't get why (MTA) is slow with this (to me it's not the answer to improving our signals.) Not sure about Ultra Wideband though. 

No one makes the current signals anymore. CBTC is the thing on the markets these days.

The MTA is slow with it because testing has to be rigorous, and there's only so much time that they get during shutdowns to actually do work (since a good amount of time before and after is getting stuff set up in place).

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Yes, but R211s don't have to run on 8th avenue to enable Eighth Avenue CBTC. If you put the R211s on the D E F and half the A, you can move the R160s currently on the E and F to the rest of the A and the B/C. (ETC. I am making a hypothetical, the numbers don't perfectly work out. My point is that you need to have the R211s for 8th ave CBTC, although you don't actually need to run them on 8th ave. )

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

The signals need replacement. Replacement is the answer. Thales Seltrac and Siemens Trainguard MT are the specific systems used so far in the necessary replacement, both of which are forms of CBTC. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

When 8th ave will be CBTC nobody knows... it'll be at least a decade, well after the R211 delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if MTA decides to put R211s on QBL first, as that will get CBTC a bit earlier.

Besides, r211s are not required for CBTC. All the 160s/179s can handle it, too.

13 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

When 8th ave will be CBTC nobody knows... it'll be at least a decade, well after the R211 delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if MTA decides to put R211s on QBL first, as that will get CBTC a bit earlier.

Besides, r211s are not required for CBTC. All the 160s/179s can handle it, too.

Queens CBTC will start with R160s, prior to the delivery of the R211 order. 

That said, there is nothing stopping the R211 from going there once they come in, bumping the R160s to the additional 4 lines requiring CBTC equipped trains once 8th has CBTC installed as well. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

On 1/16/2018 at 6:15 PM, Fan Railer said:

All this pointless bickering and debating aside, 3096 & 3097 are being delivered tonight.

<<Standing Ovation, clapping & whistling furiously!!>>>>

Thank you!

I finally took time to ride one today. A few things struck me:

The LCD screen next to the FIND display is GARBAGE. It's dim and has horrible viewing angles. It's so hard to see it's almost useless. Who picked that component and why did the MTA accept it?

I didn't realize that the fiberglass around the windows is baby blue. It's not as obvious in photos, I guess. It looks so weird and out of place, since nothing else is that color. Why on earth did they do that? It looks cheap. Does no one have any design sense at Bombardier and/or the MTA?

The motor sound is very distinctive. That's another thing that's much more obvious in person than anything I've seen online. 

Are the windows slightly larger? The setback around the window seems less angled, and the frame itself seems thinner. Larger windows (even by a little bit) would be a welcome change. 

Otherwise it seems nice... not really that different from current cars. I'm sure most riders will have no idea. 

Edited by rbrome

I've riden the R179 enough times to say. 

Something about the interior frame looks more appealing to me than the R160 from the front of the car to the back of the car