R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

And the news I couldn't speak about is finally out!

From today's CPOC meeting:

"A settlement has been reached between NYCT and Bombardier with respect to liquidated damages. As a result of the settlement, an additional R179 16 cars will be provided as part of this contract, increasing the quantity of 10 car trains from 4 to 12".

Source (Go to 24:39 in the video): https://youtu.be/j9zfldErD4Q?t=24m39s

This may make some of the things I mentioned regarding these cars make a lot more sense now.

Edited by Dj Hammers

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

No. We’re getting 16 additional B cars, to make 16 additional 5 car trains, to make 8 additional 10 car trains, leading to the 4 to 12 jump in his post. 

That way we will have 120 cars in 5-car sets and 196 cars in 4-car sets

12 5-car trains and 24.5 4-car trains

hope this is enough to finally cover the (J)(Z) requirements for NTT trains.

1 hour ago, Dj Hammers said:

And the news I couldn't speak about is finally out!

From today's CPOC meeting:

"A settlement has been reached between NYCT and Bombardier with respect to liquidated damages. As a result of the settlement, an additional R179 16 cars will be provided as part of this contract, increasing the quantity of 10 car trains from 4 to 12".

Source (Go to 24:39 in the video): https://youtu.be/j9zfldErD4Q?t=24m39s

This may make some of the things I mentioned regarding these cars make a lot more sense now.

Thanks for the good news! Goes to show you can't believe it till you hear it.

Now, we can only wonder where (and when) the 10-car sets will wind up.

15 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I do think it's more than enough?? Remember the R160s are going off the (C) soon and back to ENY.

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Please have all 12 sets go to the (A) & (C) lines :D I do want the (C) to get factory fresh new cars but also I kinda want all 12 sets to go to the (A) , I'm torn.

How about 8 to the (A) and 4 to the (C)?

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

196 is just enough to give the (J)(Z) 64 cars and the (G) 132.

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Please have all 12 sets go to the (A) & (C) lines :D I do want the (C) to get factory fresh new cars but also I kinda want all 12 sets to go to the (A) , I'm torn.

I totally agree. It can also go half and half. 6 trains to the and 6 to the C.

I noticed that some of you mentioned in previous posts about recoupling some r179's. Will that work with the r160s??

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Now that we officially have a  surplus of trains, it does make sense to have some sets go to the G, but the r68s need to go to the B,  which needs more trains, especially during PM rush hour. 

43 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just saw the video and it mentions that all r179's will be CBTC and they're forecasting a delivery completion by February 2019, 2 months before the Canarsie tunnel shuts down.

Fingers crossed!!!

CBTC Ready, not CBTC equipped. The car requires no modification for CBTC outside of the installation of the actual CBTC equipment. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Well now that the (A) and (C) will both be 600-ft, they can SHARE fleets, just like the (E)(F) and (N)(Q)(W).

Ideally, it'd be half/half for each, though, 6 trains each.

If the (G) does in fact get the R179's,  expect CIY to also get the 10 car units, all 12 sets of them. No sense giving ENY,CIY and 207th-pitkin R179's. Thats 3 yards with the same equipment. Its best to have 2 yards have the R179's. I would like to see the (A) and (C) get these cars but its unlikely especially if the (G) gets the R179's. 

6 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just saw the video and it mentions that all r179's will be CBTC and they're forecasting a delivery completion by February 2019, 2 months before the Canarsie tunnel shuts down.

Fingers crossed!!!

If thats the case send all those 12 10 car sets to jamaica lmao but i see CIY getting the 12 10 car sets with the 132 cars (8 car sets) for the (G)

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yup this right here confirms that the (G) in fact would get some R32's to supplement those 8 car R179's If the (G) gets the R179's . 132 cars is 16.5 sets, I know the (G) runs about 13 sets but that will increase once the shutdown begins or before it. CIY would need about 64 R32's to supplement the (G) 4 sets on the road and the rest for spares and (B) service.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If the (G) does in fact get the R179's,  expect CIY to also get the 10 car units, all 12 sets of them. No sense giving ENY,CIY and 207th-pitkin R179's. Thats 3 yards with the same equipment. Its best to have 2 yards have the R179's. I would like to see the (A) and (C) get these cars but its unlikely especially if the (G) gets the R179's. 

I agree with you 100%.