R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 1/18/2018 at 4:48 PM, rbrome said:

I finally took time to ride one today. A few things struck me:

The LCD screen next to the FIND display is GARBAGE. It's dim and has horrible viewing angles. It's so hard to see it's almost useless. Who picked that component and why did the MTA accept it?

I didn't realize that the fiberglass around the windows is baby blue. It's not as obvious in photos, I guess. It looks so weird and out of place, since nothing else is that color. Why on earth did they do that? It looks cheap. Does no one have any design sense at Bombardier and/or the MTA?

The motor sound is very distinctive. That's another thing that's much more obvious in person than anything I've seen online. 

Are the windows slightly larger? The setback around the window seems less angled, and the frame itself seems thinner. Larger windows (even by a little bit) would be a welcome change. 

Otherwise it seems nice... not really that different from current cars. I'm sure most riders will have no idea. 

I just noticed the blue trim as well. Doesn't match anything else in the interior.

The surface mount speaker grills also look very cheap, just like the Bombardier R142s. The Kawasaki R142As have integrated speakers, like the R160s. I think since more of the plastic surfaces in the R179 are glossy, it feels much cheaper.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If the (G) does in fact get the R179's,  expect CIY to also get the 10 car units, all 12 sets of them. No sense giving ENY,CIY and 207th-pitkin R179's. Thats 3 yards with the same equipment. Its best to have 2 yards have the R179's. I would like to see the (A) and (C) get these cars but its unlikely especially if the (G) gets the R179's. 

Wouldn't it make more sense for (G) to get R160s on top of R32s and make the (J)(Z) nearly all R179? I don't see why a small handful of R179s need to go to the (G) especially since CI already manages so many R160s.

Also, I've got a question: The CPOC meeting said that the 5-car R179s will have to "be tested." Does this mean they have to do the 30-day thing all over again? Weren't the R179s already fully tested and approved since the 4-car sets are in service already?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for (G) to get R160s on top of R32s and make the (J)(Z) nearly all R179? I don't see why a small handful of R179s need to go to the (G) especially since CI already manages so many R160s.

ENY has to keep the R160's for (M) CBTC. I suggested the samething until i realized that they have to install cbtc kits on those R160's for future CBTC service and all of them might get converted 

8 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Also, I've got a question: The CPOC meeting said that the 5-car R179s will have to "be tested." Does this mean they have to do the 30-day thing all over again? Weren't the R179s already fully tested and approved since the 4-car sets are in service already?

Thanks in advance.

Not the whole 30-day approval process for a new car class, but they run some tests on every train car before it enters service, and the first 5-car set hasn't been cleared yet.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Yup this right here confirms that the (G) in fact would get some R32's to supplement those 8 car R179's If the (G) gets the R179's . 132 cars is 16.5 sets, I know the (G) runs about 13 sets but that will increase once the shutdown begins or before it. CIY would need about 64 R32's to supplement the (G) 4 sets on the road and the rest for spares and (B) service.

I'm not surprised that the G gets r32s and if the G does get NTT is going to be 8 car trains. 

All 12 10 car r179's must go to the A and/or C trains and all A and C train riders need to demand that these cars go to either or both lines. 

26 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm not surprised that the G gets r32s and if the G does get NTT is going to be 8 car trains. 

All 12 10 car r179's must go to the A and/or C trains and all A and C train riders need to demand that these cars go to either or both lines. 

Honestly they should wait until the R211's. The wait would be worth it since those cars will have alot more features than the R179's. Plus we got 3 years before the production cars come in plus the (A) and (C) would get the whole base order.

20 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

And the news I couldn't speak about is finally out!

From today's CPOC meeting:

"A settlement has been reached between NYCT and Bombardier with respect to liquidated damages. As a result of the settlement, an additional R179 16 cars will be provided as part of this contract, increasing the quantity of 10 car trains from 4 to 12".

Source (Go to 24:39 in the video): https://youtu.be/j9zfldErD4Q?t=24m39s

This may make some of the things I mentioned regarding these cars make a lot more sense now.

Same here! Thanks for the time in the link!

22 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

And the news I couldn't speak about is finally out!

From today's CPOC meeting:

"A settlement has been reached between NYCT and Bombardier with respect to liquidated damages. As a result of the settlement, an additional R179 16 cars will be provided as part of this contract, increasing the quantity of 10 car trains from 4 to 12".

Source (Go to 24:39 in the video): https://youtu.be/j9zfldErD4Q?t=24m39s

This may make some of the things I mentioned regarding these cars make a lot more sense now.

I’m glad to hear they’re going to get extra cars as part of the settlement. And 16, which is more than I expected. Being able to make up to 12 ten-car trains will be very beneficial to whichever non-Eastern Division line(s) gets them. 

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

All 12 10 car r179's must go to the A and/or C trains and all A and C train riders need to demand that these cars go to either or both lines. 

Why must they go there?

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If they keep all the SMEE's those 12 sets of 10 car R179's would be enough to give the (W) an extension to 9th ave or bay parkway. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the (W) in 2019

They’ll be carrying more air than people if the (W) is extended to 9th Ave. And you would be reintroducing the delays at 36th St caused by the express and local merging there (back when the (brownM) ran there, for everyone who wants to bring that service back). And for a station that’s far from being one of the busiest in South Brooklyn. Bay Parkway (D) is much busier and you’d be likely to get more riders than just going to 9th Ave, but do West End Line riders really need/want a direct ride to the Broadway Line that runs local all the way there?

The (W) would be better off serving all of the 4th Ave local stations plus Bay Ridge. Or possibly 8th Ave on the (N), which has nearly twice the ridership of 9th Ave.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Honestly they should wait until the R211's. The wait would be worth it since those cars will have alot more features than the R179's. Plus we got 3 years before the production cars come in plus the (A) and (C) would get the whole base order.

Worth it?

Waiting doesn't solve the problem NOW, which is ever-increasing crowds on the (A) especially, which badly needs 60-foot trains during rush hours and will do so even more once the shutdown happens.

Nobody really cares about the bogus gimmicks of the R211s, if anything they're even less appealing because of reduced seating and the open gangway.

Btw, there's no guarantee they would get the whole order. Like I've said before, good chance they decide to put them on the (Q) to make the SAS look nicer.

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Why must they go there?

Must is a bit strong, but should is a good word. Why? Reasons stated many times - overcrowding on a good chunk of the (A), importance of the (A)(C) during the shutdown as well as a total lack of NTTs on those lines (notwithstanding the C's temporary 160s).

So yes, if the opportunity is there, any NTTs should go to the (A), even if it's not R179s.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Why must they go there?

Because certain railfans on here wanna catch their titties in a knot whenever the (A) and (C) continue to be stuck with the oldest cars in the system lol. Even DJ Hammers has stated that subway car breakdowns are the least of the (MTA) 's problems. It's the aging of the tracks and signals themselves that plague the subway continuously due to their age, not car fleets. I personally couldn't give two cents as long as we still have trains making service and nothing more. These railfans act like the subway is a limo or Hollywood or something lol. By the time all SMEEs retire for good, the (A) and (C) will then get tech trains anyway lol.

Edited by Jemorie
Fixed typo

6 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Because certain railfans on here wanna catch their titties in a knot whenever the (A) and (C) continue to be stuck with the oldest cars in the system lol. Even DJ Hammers has stated that subway car breakdowns are the least of the (MTA) 's problems. It's the aging of the tracks and signals themselves that plague the subway continuously due to their age, not car fleets. I personally couldn't give two cents as like we still have trains making service and nothing more. These railfans act like the subway is a limbo or something lol. By the time all SMEEs retire for good, the (A) and (C) will then get tech trains anyway lol.

You DO know that, historically, the (C) has never, ever, gotten its own fleet of brand new cars right? This fleet was always intended to be mostly for the (C).

We can care less about opinions. Facts are Facts. And the facts are that the (C) needs new trains. And there's really nowhere else for the R179 to go. So I'll wait for someone like East New York or TheReal to break the news. 

They are some of the most reliable people on here, after all.

Edited by LTA1992

1 minute ago, LTA1992 said:

You DO know that, historically, the (C) has never, ever, gotten its own fleet of brand new cars right? This fleet was always intended to be mostly for the (C).

We can care less about opinions. Facts are Facts. And the facts are that the (C) needs new trains. And there's really nowhere else for the R179 to go. So I'll wait for someone like East New York or TheReal to break the news. 

They are some of the most reliable people on here, after all.

So? Big deal lol.

4 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

So? Big deal lol.

The deal is that almost since Day 1, way back in 2010, these cars were going to go to 8th Avenue. Because their original intent was to replace the R44.

With the life extension of the R32, and transfers of R46 to the (A) due to R160s going to Jamaica and premature retirement of said R44s, the order was modified for the (C) and (J) .

Again, where else can they go? Instead of being a smartass, you can provide a thought. Whether or not you be eviscerated is TBD.

Edited by LTA1992

1 minute ago, Jemorie said:

So? Big deal lol.

It is sorta a big deal because, you know what, when you pay that $2.75 fare, and you get a rusted, screeching old beat-up tin can for your ride while you see certain lines (cough, *Broadway* cough), always equipped with brand new, shiny, well maintained trains, you feel like you're getting less of a BANG FOR YOUR BUCK.

The fare is already ridiculously high as is, at least make it justifiably high. TRY to give all the riders a good quality ride, if at least by introducing better equipment where possible.

That's why.

1 minute ago, LTA1992 said:

The deal is that almost since Day 1, way back in 2010, these cars were going to go to 8th Avenue. Because their original intent was to replace the R44.

With the life extension of the R32, and transfers of R46 to the (A) due to R160s going to Jamaica, the order was modified for the (C) .

Again, where else can they go? Instead of being a smartass, you can provide a thought. Whether or not you be eviscerated is TBD.

Lol you blowing a fit I see. The (MTA) now wants the (C) to be full-length now. Subway ridership grows yearly and there's no reason why most of the R179s should be on the (C). The five-car sets? Sure, but not the four-car sets. And the rest of the (C) fleet can be R46s or full 600 feet R32s lol.

2 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

It is sorta a big deal because, you know what, when you pay that $2.75 fare, and you get a rusted, screeching old beat-up tin can for your ride while you see certain lines (cough, *Broadway* cough), always equipped with brand new, shiny, well maintained trains, you feel like you're getting less of a BANG FOR YOUR BUCK.

The fare is already ridiculously high as is, at least make it justifiably high. TRY to give all the riders a good quality ride, if at least by introducing better equipment where possible.

That's why.

I understand what you're saying but I still doubt they'll assign most of the R179s to the (C) unless they are five-car sets. Subway ridership grows yearly.

10 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

In the event that the r68s get displaced  from the G, due to NTT'S  or r32s, those displaced r68s cars can be added to the B. The B needs extra trains during rush hour, especially in the Bronx, where the D runs express during rush hour, and there are big gaps between B trains causing very long waits and overcrowding especially on 145th Street. Either the MTA adds more trains to the B or the D runs local 24/7 in the Bronx. 

5 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Lol you blowing a fit I see. The (MTA) now wants the (C) to be full-length now. Subway ridership grows yearly and there's no reason why most of the R179s should be on the (C). The five-car sets? Sure, but not the four-car sets. And the rest of the (C) fleet can be R46s or full 600 feet R32s lol.

A fit? Anyone who knows me knows that I don't blow fits. I prefer the cool, straight-laced method of destruction.

The amendment of the order to include those 16 new B-cars means that instead of 4 trains of 10-cars, we now have 12. Which is just enough to cover (C) with a few 8-car trains filling the balance. I see the R32s moving off 8th Avenue for the shutdown to supplement the services that need to accommodate the extra riders..

But at the risk of digging up old, worn out topics, I'll end that there.

Edited by LTA1992

@Jemorie can you stop bumping you're post counter to just name-call instead of actually contribute by saying, "Oh I have a suggestion about the R179s," instead of calling me "You’re so petulant and annoying lol." You mainly name-call more, and only sometimes you actually contribute to the discussion.

At the end of the day, the plans could be finalized, and either of us could be wrong. And why wouldn't the R179's go to the (A)(C) if they were intended to be on those lines and displace the 32s. And there were additional 10-car sets added to the order, so of course it will be enough for the (A)(C).

Look, I respect your opinion, but me, @Dj Hammers, @Union Tpke, @Around the Horn, @R42N, and many others gave you reason after reason about why it's already confirmed that all this Canarsie nonsense with R32s is basically confirmed. Yet you continue to ignore us despite what all of us told you.

I know I'm not a mod, but all that is irrelevant when I listed all that above.

Edited by Coney Island Av

Just now, Coney Island Av said:

@Jemorie can you stop increasing you're post counter for no reason. Are you only here to name-call instead of actually contribute by saying, "Oh I have a suggestion about the R179s," instead of calling me "You’re so petulant and annoying lol." You mainly name-call more, and only sometimes you actually contribute to the discussion.

At the end of the day, the plans could be finalized, and either of us could be wrong. And why wouldn't the R179's go to the (A)(C) if they were intended to be on those lines and displace the 32s. 

How am I increasing my post counter? I post what's on my mind. Lately, all these threads have consisted of nothing but whiny complaints about where the R179s should go and you're not a moderator btw lol. Have a seat.

Just now, Jemorie said:

How am I increasing my post counter? I post what's on my mind. Lately, all these threads have consisted of nothing but whiny complaints about where the R179s should go and you're not a moderator btw lol. Have a seat.

These aren't complaints. Speculation, yes. But not complaints. Frankly, it's all we can do until the summer where I expect some news to drop.

Coney Island Av, I never once stated that the R179s cannot go on the (A) and (C) lines. I said only the five-car sets can, but having the vast majority of (C) trains as 480 feet long units is all honestly...I don't know...but this 2018 now, not 2008. We need full-length trains on the line and while the R46s and R32s are the oldest cars in the system that need replacing no matter what, the entire subway system's ridership will continue to grow for like what? The rest of our lives. Maybe a few full-length trains is a start, but just because the (MTA) "promised" to have new cars on those two lines to displace the R32s doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. Far we know, they could just take most of Jamaica's R46s and put them on the (A) or (C) or use the Coney Island R160s instead. Who knows.