R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Damn what happen to Kawasaki? I mean the R160s did alright and now they are screwing up on the M8s? Shoot oh well.

yeah, they are in a shitty situation right now, but I hope they can get it together, they have to many orders, they got the R188's, The M8's the PA-5's and a Huge order for DC Metro so the're hands are tied at the moment, the MTA might just wait and just make the R211 a very Huge Order, Plus the R42's might go sooner because of their shitty performance

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, they are in a shitty situation right now, but I hope they can get it together, they have to many orders, they got the R188's, The M8's the PA-5's and a Huge order for DC Metro so the're hands are tied at the moment, the MTA might just wait and just make the R211 a very Huge Order, Plus the R42's might go sooner because of their shitty performance

Are there enough R32s to swap them out?

When are the R179s expected and how many will there be - enough to make the B Division R46, R68/A, R160 and R179? :confused:

The R179 should replace all R32s and R42s, and I believe that some will displace some R46s to the SIR. After all, (MTA) has confirmed that some R46s will be overhauled for the SIR.

Here are the line assignments for the B Division I would expect after all R179s are delivered:

R46 - (A), (C), and SIR

R68 - (;), (D), (G), and (S)

R68A - (:)

R143 - (L)

R160 - (E), (F), (J), (L), (M), (R), (S), and (Z)

R179 - (J), (N), (Q), and (Z)

In this way, Jamaica goes all R160 where the (N) and (Q) give up their R160s to the (F), (R), and (S), and the new R179s are assigned to them. Considering the (A) and (C) got shafed in the R160 order, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

The R179 should replace all R32s and R42s, and I believe that some will displace some R46s to the SIR. After all, (MTA) has confirmed that some R46s will be overhauled for the SIR.

Here are the line assignments for the B Division I would expect after all R179s are delivered:

R46 - (A), (C), and SIR

R68 - (;), (D), (G), and (S)

R68A - (:P

R143 - (L)

R160 - (E), (F), (J), (L), (M), (R), (S), and (Z)

R179 - (J), (N), (Q), and (Z)

In this way, Jamaica goes all R160 where the (N) and (Q) give up their R160s to the (F), (R), and (S), and the new R179s are assigned to them. Considering the (A) and (C) got shafed in the R160 order, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

i have nothing to say because the damn cars aren't here yet and you making assignments that are completely false, if these cars arrive with CBTC in them, they will go to Jamaica, if not with the CBTC they will only go to Pitkin and ENY by defalt, until then RELAX!!!, im in no rush for these cars to come the MTA is using their brains right now

i have nothing to say because the damn cars aren't here yet and you making assignments that are completely false, if these cars arrive with CBTC in them, they will go to Jamaica, if not with the CBTC they will only go to Pitkin and ENY by defalt, until then RELAX!!!, im in no rush for these cars to come the MTA is using their brains right now

We can't assume they will automatically be assigned to the same facilities currently served by the R32 and R42 fleet. The only one we know for sure is ENY since the (J)/(Z) are not compatible with 75-foot cars. Any other yard is a wild guess.

It has been officially stated that Jamaica wants to go 100% R160, and to meet that goal, you would have to pull them out of Coney Island. Thus, the R179s can easily fill in the void at Coney Island left by moving the R160s to Jamaica, and Jamaica can give its R46s to 207th Street and the SIR.

While I understand I am speculating, my line assignments simply make logical sense for simplicity.

The M8 fiasco will defintely play a role in all of this,since we all know that the (MTA) will offer Kawasaki a chance to bid in the R179 and R211 orders.The object is also to keep NY working by having these trains made in NY.might as well give it to Bombardier since they have a plant in Plattsburgh.Come to think of it the MTA would rather pick Kawasaki,since they have the only plant in the U.S that can build a rail car from the ground up without manufacturing carbodies in their base countries.the Lincoln NE plant is capable of doing that.Bombardier would have to have the car body shells fabricated in La Pocatiere Quebec. and ALstom carbody facilities is in San Paolo Brazil.Logistics play a big role in these contracts.Going with Kawasaki will save in terms of shipping cost.

The M8 fiasco will defintely play a role in all of this,since we all know that the (MTA) will offer Kawasaki a chance to bid in the R179 and R211 orders.The object is also to keep NY working by having these trains made in NY.might as well give it to Bombardier since they have a plant in Plattsburgh.Come to think of it the MTA would rather pick Kawasaki,since they have the only plant in the U.S that can build a rail car from the ground up without manufacturing carbodies in their base countries.the Lincoln NE plant is capable of doing that.Bombardier would have to have the car body shells fabricated in La Pocatiere Quebec. and ALstom carbody facilities is in San Paolo Brazil.Logistics play a big role in these contracts.Going with Kawasaki will save in terms of shipping cost.

I don't see what is really the point of tendering out such contracts for bids then if (MTA) is going to give the contract to Kawasaki anyway.

In fact, I am beginning to suspect that the numerous delays could be due to some possible bid rigging going on to give Kawasaki an unfair advantage. We will see how this turns out.

Exactly, thats why (MTA) and other transit angencies want kawasaki, for that main reason

We can't assume they will automatically be assigned to the same facilities currently served by the R32 and R42 fleet. The only one we know for sure is ENY since the (J)/(Z) are not compatible with 75-foot cars. Any other yard is a wild guess.

It has been officially stated that Jamaica wants to go 100% R160, and to meet that goal, you would have to pull them out of Coney Island. Thus, the R179s can easily fill in the void at Coney Island left by moving the R160s to Jamaica, and Jamaica can give its R46s to 207th Street and the SIR.

While I understand I am speculating, my line assignments simply make logical sense for simplicity.

The (MTA) wants Queens Blvd to be CBTC right after the (7) line is completed, if the R179's have the kits in them then they will go to jamaica by default, but right now those R179's are planned to go only to mainly the (A) then (J),(M),(L) and (Z) (ENY 4 car sets) possible the (C) that is in B&W but its subject to change, these cars aren't even ordered yet and might not be orderd until things are good, the R42's are in bad shape, the R32's can hold up pretty good since thier car boddies are in good shape, anyway you put it these cars won't be on TA property until atleast 2016, latest 2017, they will look exactly like the R160's and they will be lighter than the R160's with camreas, thats why 8713-22 had camreas in them, that was a test, so the R179 will have a simular interior minus those flip seats along with the camreas.

I personally think this should be 1 whole BIG order obviously replacing over

200 R-32's

50 R-42's

but by then th 46's will be about 40 maybe older.

Like some people said they can replace(as in retire) most 46's and have enough sets go to SIR to replace the 44's. Then possibly 5 years later or sooner another order will have to probably replace the 46's out in SI.

So 5 yrs from now 46's will 40 and the next car class to retire in the (:P division should be the 68/A's in about 15yrs or so.So in between that another order will be in place for the 46's going to SI.

• 3 weeks later...
According to this the R179s won't be here until 2017, which means the R32s and most likely the R42s are sticking around even after the R46 cars are retired.

http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2011/July%202011%20Financial%20Plan%20Vol%202.pdf

I Just Read, It, The (MTA) Is Being Very Smart, Its gonna Be a BIG Order, this would save them a lot of money, plus they are opening the 2nd ave subway in 2016, so this will really be a Huge order, basically the R32,42(if they last until 2017, and half or most of the R46's will be replaced by the R179

I did speak to a Supervisor that was on an R32 (A) with me ,he told me that the R32's WILL get a Rehab aka SMS

Im glad to hear this, this makes the most sense and I knew it I was telling everyone this for the longest

Guest lance25

For some reason, I still can't see the R32s lasting another six years, regardless of any scheduled maintenance. I understand that not much can be done about this, but we can't expect 50 year old cars to have a good MDBF, especially when the cars received SMS just four years ago and are falling apart now.

I also noticed there was nothing about any SMS for the 50 R42s at East New York. Are they just going to let these cars continue to run for the next six years until the R179s come in without any kind of rehab?

I understand the financial straits we're in right now, but I don't feel it's right for the (MTA) to keep dragging its feet on this order. If anything, this should be a good reason for them to light a fire under the state legislature to properly fund the agency, especially its capital projects. It will only come back to bite them in the ass in the end, as it usually does.

According to this the R179s won't be here until 2017, which means the R32s and most likely the R42s are sticking around even after the R46 cars are retired.

http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2011/July%202011%20Financial%20Plan%20Vol%202.pdf

I don't see the R32s outlasting the R46s and I don't see the R211s coming in before the R179s. Sorry.....

And there was no mention of the R42s.....

For some reason, I still can't see the R32s lasting another six years, regardless of any scheduled maintenance. I understand that not much can be done about this, but we can't expect 50 year old cars to have a good MDBF, especially when the cars received SMS just four years ago and are falling apart now.

I also noticed there was nothing about any SMS for the 50 R42s at East New York. Are they just going to let these cars continue to run for the next six years until the R179s come in without any kind of rehab?

I understand the financial straits we're in right now, but I don't feel it's right for the (MTA) to keep dragging its feet on this order. If anything, this should be a good reason for them to light a fire under the state legislature to properly fund the agency, especially its capital projects. It will only come back to bite them in the ass in the end, as it usually does.

the 32s are workhorse's. i have not had a problem yet with them. the A/Cs might drop out. but the train moves and stops on a dime. the reason they have lasted so long is its just a bare bones train. it has what it needs and nothing more.

Well, as long as they don't break down all the time, are cool in the summer and warm in the winter and have front route signs that are easily readable (like they did before they got GOH'ed in 1989 and 1990), then I have no problem with the R32s staying around for six more years. But I find it hard to believe that they will.

My advice is to stay away from the (C) train. That line will be a lame duck for the next six years with those R32's and isn't worth half of the $2.25 riders currently pay. Those cars are falling apart. A 60,000 mile MDBF is not acceptable for a subway system in the 21st Century. We can talk about the (C) as a relevant line once I see some NTT's.

My advice is to stay away from the (C) train. That line will be a lame duck for the next six years with those R32's and isn't worth half of the $2.25 riders currently pay. Those cars are falling apart. A 60,000 mile MDBF is not acceptable for a subway system in the 21st Century. We can talk about the (C) as a relevant line once I see some NTT's.

what proof do you have that they are falling apart? your opinion does not count as proof. i have drilled those trains at 207yd and the barn stays on top of them. i operate those trains at least twice a week and they handle fine. the tech trains break down more than the 32s. while they do need a new fleet the fact is they are going broke. if its cheaper to maintain the 32s and keep your fare the same rather than raise the fare and buy new trains what would most people prefer.

Not according to your bosses.....

what the mta tells the public and what really happens are 2 very different storys. lately there have been a lot of problems getting 160s to add back up. when the weather gets hot and humid the computers on the tech trains crap out. now dont get it wrong i love the 160s. but they are not the perfect train the mta says they are.