R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what the mta tells the public and what really happens are 2 very different storys. lately there have been a lot of problems getting 160s to add back up. when the weather gets hot and humid the computers on the tech trains crap out. now dont get it wrong i love the 160s. but they are not the perfect train the mta says they are.

NX beat me to the punch. I don't disagree with you with that theyre not perfect and the computers arent doing well in the summer heat, but I don't see the R160s performing worse than the R32s overall (and likewise, I don't see the R32s as god awful clunkers....or at least not god awful).

what proof do you have that they are falling apart? your opinion does not count as proof. i have drilled those trains at 207yd and the barn stays on top of them. i operate those trains at least twice a week and they handle fine. the tech trains break down more than the 32s. while they do need a new fleet the fact is they are going broke. if its cheaper to maintain the 32s and keep your fare the same rather than raise the fare and buy new trains what would most people prefer.

Last time I checked a 60,000 mile MDBF doesn't qualify as an opinion. The stats show that they suck, plain and simple. It's about time these things end up in the ocean instead of in subway tunnels.

The ONLY R160's that are doing Perfect is the ENY ones, The Jamaica ones are alright but they have their problems, The R160's from CI are not bad

and you guys can't outspeak a Train operator

so quit it, I been on R32's that run good and with problems

The R160's run like shit sometimes just like other subway cars.

Guest lance25
...and you guys can't outspeak a Train operator

so quit it...

Why not? Last I checked, they aren't gods who'll strike us down for disagreeing with them. No offense.

The ONLY R160's that are doing Perfect is the ENY ones, The Jamaica ones are alright but they have their problems, The R160's from CI are not bad

and you guys can't outspeak a Train operator

so quit it, I been on R32's that run good and with problems

The R160's run like shit sometimes just like other subway cars.

Of course Jamaica's R160 has many problems,do you see what lines they are serving? (E)(F) Express in queens is enough to bring any train down to its chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the R160's the only ones that are doing fine are the ones in ENY, The R160's do have alot of problems because i see it everyday

As for the R179's the (MTA) is expected to award a builder by January 2012 (been Pushed back again for the ones WHO THOUGHT they were to be awarded now are wrong)

But here's the thing the government, they don't want to fund transit agencies so this Order Might Be affected by this.

As for the R160's the only ones that are doing fine are the ones in ENY, The R160's do have alot of problems because i see it everyday

As for the R179's the (MTA) is expected to award a builder by January 2012 (been Pushed back again for the ones WHO THOUGHT they were to be awarded now are wrong)

But here's the thing the government, they don't want to fund transit agencies so this Order Might Be affected by this.

MTA and everybody else thought they would be awarded by now. It was supposed to be done this past spring.

And unless something has changed in the last 14 days, that January date you speak of is incorrect. My sources, as well as MTA documents say that the award is due by October, and is quite obviously more than 6 months behind schedule.

The part in bold is not true at all. The Government wants to, has been, and currently is funding all types of transit projects.

I was going to make the updates on August 1st, but I have not had the time. And as of the 1st, the award is set for October.

http://www.mta.info/capitaldashboard/pdf/Milestones_Report.pdf

MTA and everybody else thought they would be awarded by now. It was supposed to be done this past spring.

And unless something has changed in the last 14 days, that January date you speak of is incorrect. My sources, as well as MTA documents say that the award is due by October, and is quite obviously more than 6 months behind schedule.

The part in bold is not true at all. The Government wants to, has been, and currently is funding all types of transit projects.

I was going to make the updates on August 1st, but I have not had the time. And as of the 1st, the award is set for October.

http://www.mta.info/capitaldashboard/pdf/Milestones_Report.pdf

Very interesting, any pics of the model by any chance?

I'll keeping my eye out for these milestone reports in the future, thanks.:tup::tup:;):)

Very interesting, any pics of the model by any chance?

I'll keeping my eye out for these milestone reports in the future, thanks.:tup::tup::P:)

way too soon buddy, besides, it was mentioned in a general forum a while ago that the cars will aesthetically look like the R160s with the technical difference of usage of LED lights and whatnot.

I am guessing those cars are likely to 60 footers, right?

That's what I have been hearing.

Almost definitely. The fact that 75-footers can't be used on the Eastern Division is a big reason why the MTA is highly unlikely to ever choose that design again. Operational flexibility is key, and with real-time updating and FIND, it's even better now that soon enough we'll only have 60-foot cars.

Exactly! Now, if they had configured the R143s, 160s in married pairs, like the cars they replaced were, then the reasoning that going back to 60-foot cars creates more flexibility would have some merit. But since they decided to order them in completely inflexible permanently linked 4- and 5-car sets, 5-car R160 sets are restricted from the Eastern Division just like the 75-foot cars are. Now the MTA is set to make the same mistake again with the R179s. Way to go for flexibility, MTA!

They're not restricted, just not used on the line. There is a difference between just not using them on certain lines and having cars that are too heavy and long to use the line. The 5-car R160s could run on the Eastern division, but just as the 5 cars alone. Which i dont think would be a bad idea for the (J) line between 2-4 or 5am.

They're not restricted, just not used on the line. There is a difference between just not using them on certain lines and having cars that are too heavy and long to use the line. The 5-car R160s could run on the Eastern division, but just as the 5 cars alone. Which i dont think would be a bad idea for the (J) line between 2-4 or 5am.

Thats not a bad idea except people along the (J) would throw a fit.

How? Whenever i'm on the (J) at 2-3am, including last night, the trains are half full. Taking three cars off a train during late nights shouldn't be that much of a problem. It'll just make the train look more full. (if that was english.)

Guest lance25

How? Whenever i'm on the (J) at 2-3am, including last night, the trains are half full. Taking three cars off a train during late nights shouldn't be that much of a problem. It'll just make the train look more full. (if that was english.)

It's a bad idea, not in terms of capacity, but rather the logistics. Ten-car trains would have to be taken from either Coney Island or Jamaica, run light to the East New York yard, uncoupled into individual 5-car sets in order to be put in service. Then, they'd have to do the reverse in order for the yards to have enough trains for the morning rush. There's also the question of what would run on the (E)(F)(N) and (Q) with their trains elsewhere.

The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" certainly applies here. While the (MTA) did shoot themselves in the foot with the 4- and 5-car set orders, maybe they'll realize their mistake when it comes to the R211s.

It's a bad idea, not in terms of capacity, but rather the logistics. Ten-car trains would have to be taken from either Coney Island or Jamaica, run light to the East New York yard, uncoupled into individual 5-car sets in order to be put in service. Then, they'd have to do the reverse in order for the yards to have enough trains for the morning rush. There's also the question of what would run on the (E)(F)(N) and (Q) with their trains elsewhere.

The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" certainly applies here. While the (MTA) did shoot themselves in the foot with the 4- and 5-car set orders, maybe they'll realize their mistake when it comes to the R211s.

How many (J)s are run during the late nights? i'd say 4-6. All you'll need are 2 or 3 trains not being used, uncouple them in CI yard and run them over to Chambers Street for service. It cant be that hard. It only has to be done for late night service. Its just that those trains'll have to be the last ones to go back into regular daytime service on their respective routes.

EXAMPLE: If it ever did happen which i doubt is likely, Take a train onto the Sea Beach express track. Spit it and head off to the Nassau Line. Do the opposite on the way back to prepare it for daytime service on another line. The process to decouple shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

How many (J)s are run during the late nights? i'd say 4-6. All you'll need are 2 or 3 trains not being used, uncouple them in CI yard and run them over to Chambers Street for service. It cant be that hard. It only has to be done for late night service. Its just that those trains'll have to be the last ones to go back into regular daytime service on their respective routes.

EXAMPLE: If it ever did happen which i doubt is likely, Take a train onto the Sea Beach express track. Spit it and head off to the Nassau Line. Do the opposite on the way back to prepare it for daytime service on another line. The process to decouple shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Now that he mentions it, it is a bad idea.

Theres no cost benefit into doing it. If anything thats a bigger labor cost than the 8 car trains that run now.