R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so sure about the 179s now. Just spoke to a TSS @ Dekalb and he said the 32 and 42 will both retire after 2017

The (MTA) is supposed to award the contract for the R179s sometime either in October or November. Rest assured, regardless of whether or not this gets delayed again, those cars will be ordered eventually.

I think it will be roomier than the r160. <6>

They probably won't. If anything, they'll be almost, if not exactly, the same as the R160s.

The (MTA) is supposed to award the contract for the R179s sometime either in October or November. Rest assured, regardless of whether or not this gets delayed again, those cars will be ordered eventually.

They probably won't. If anything, they'll be almost, if not exactly, the same as the R160s.

January they supposed to award the contract it got pushed back again

Some questions, because I'm confused: is the contract going to be awarded in January? are the R179s going to be a "lighter" version of the R160s and what exactly does that mean?

the award date is anyone's guess. it would be nice if it was actually the date that the MTA said it would be this time, but you know the deal.

as for the lighter weight, its just the simple concept of using different composite materials in the structural design to save a few hundred or thousand pounds here or there; nothing drastic or anything, just enough. i would estimate a car that is a little under 80,000 lbs when the design is said and done.

• 1 month later...

The original plans called for 290 cars under the base order, which was to be awarded in August of 2010. After many delays and changes, the contract is now set for award in December.

At this time, the MTA plans to increase the base order to 300 cars, and order the 50 car option at the same time.

The base order will consist of:

*52 trains made up of 5 cars each.

*10 trains made up of 4 cars each.

The original plans called for 290 cars under the base order, which was to be awarded in August of 2010. After many delays and changes, the contract is now set for award in December.

At this time, the MTA plans to increase the base order to 300 cars, and order the 50 car option at the same time.

The base order will consist of:

*52 trains made up of 5 cars each.

*10 trains made up of 4 cars each.

I take it the breakdown of the 50 car option is still up in the air then?

• 3 weeks later...
I take it the breakdown of the 50 car option is still up in the air then?

I'm sure MTA has an idea, if not the final plans. Cars from option 2 are now slated to go to SIR. However, that option will not likely be exercised until at least 2014.

Bombardier had nothing to do with the R160. It was Alstom and Kawasaki.

Correct. I'm pretty much certain Kawasaki will have this one as well. We will have more details when and if the contract is awarded in January as scheduled.

I'm sure MTA has an idea, if not the final plans. Cars from option 2 are now slated to go to SIR. However, that option will not likely be exercised until at least 2014.

Correct. I'm pretty much certain Kawasaki will have this one as well. We will have more details when and if the contract is awarded in January.

I Knew these cars weren't gonna be awarded this month, and IF the option order cars go to SIRT then the R32's will have to stay longer (about 40-60 cars) they need to make this a Large order to replace the R32-half of the R46's and get it over with it would save money and time

Correct. I'm pretty much certain Kawasaki will have this one as well. We will have more details when and if the contract is awarded in January.

So if option 2 is slated for SIR ( which if i remember correctly, a good chunk of the original R179 plan was to be for SIR), are they still planning to refit 64 R46s for SIR?

I think any R179 subway car from Bombardier would look a lot like a fat R142.

nope. it would look like a Bombardier-built R160. NYCT designs their fleets. part of them "spending money wisely" (yeah right! LOL) would logically to unify the fleet so to spea, as far as design. Its an R160 with added minor features and/or upgrades like the interior LED lighting.

So if option 2 is slated for SIR ( which if i remember correctly, a good chunk of the original R179 plan was to be for SIR), are they still planning to refit 64 R46s for SIR?

From what I understand, the entire option 2 is not for SIR, only some of the cars. And yes, they are still going ahead with retrofit. Awards for both are still set for next month.

• 4 weeks later...
Again? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the contract supposed to be awarded last summer? Honestly I've lost count on how many times the (MTA) has delayed the R179 order.

I heard January...and I'm still waiting! Or was it the R142A/R188?