The New Assignments...

dmouse

Guest lance25

@cl94: Send the (N) via Whitehall all times and people will come at you with torches and pitchforks. The only time (outside late nights) the (N) ran local through lower Manhattan was during Manhattan Bridge construction when trains couldn't access the bridge from the Broadway tracks. Plus, the (N) can't handle the Astoria section alone, hence the yellow (:P in the '80s and the (W) from '01 to 2010, well beyond when bridge work was completed.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will everyone just shut up! I swear yall are a bunch of foamers, none of this will even in the next yr or even 3 years so until then stop b!tchin about it, geez what happens happens your say doesnt make a difference so dont waste the internet ranting.

Will everyone just shut up! I swear yall are a bunch of foamers, none of this will even in the next yr or even 3 years so until then stop b!tchin about it, geez what happens happens your say doesnt make a difference so dont waste the internet ranting.

Some people on this forum work for the (MTA) and they confirmed that the (W) (might) come back. So stop biasing.

Guest lance25

And what, pray tell, do you want us to talk about? As of late, outside of random service diversions and this May's nostalgia trip (that thread was locked BTW), there really isn't much to talk about in terms of short term subway stuff. Plus, no one's forcing you to read anything.

And what, pray tell, do you want us to talk about? As of late, outside of random service diversions and this May's nostalgia trip (that thread was locked BTW), there really isn't much to talk about in terms of short term subway stuff. Plus, no one's forcing you to read anything.

Don't forget 12-9s! But yea, I agree, its kinda a slow period for the subway lol.

@cl94: Send the (N) via Whitehall all times and people will come at you with torches and pitchforks. The only time (outside late nights) the (N) ran local through lower Manhattan was during Manhattan Bridge construction when trains couldn't access the bridge from the Broadway tracks. Plus, the (N) can't handle the Astoria section alone, hence the yellow (B) in the '80s and the (W) from '01 to 2010, well beyond when bridge work was completed.

If the (R) wasn't as terrible as it is, the (N) should've stayed as an express. The congestion at prince-canal is one reason why the (N) via tunnel won't be that bad an idea since at least you can have the (Q) move thru more efficiently.

As for the split (Q) posted 'earlier', totally apples to oranges compared to the (A). The Lefferts branch is 3 stops. SAS will eventually grow beyond the current 3 stops [plus they'll be much more used than the Lefferts stops]. Astoria is 'likely' far more used compared to all of the Rockaways combined

You can't split the (Q). The (W) has to be brought back to appease the Astoria riders and the (Q) [or the (N), imo] should go up the SAS.

Guest lance25

There wouldn't be a need for the (W) to run during the overnight hours since the (D) and (N) both run local in Brooklyn at that time. Customers could transfer at Atlantic-Pacific or DeKalb Av for either Broadway or Sixth Avenue service.

@Grand Concourse: If the (N) ran via Whitehall, it would have to run local in Brooklyn as well or there'll be serious backups around the DeKalb Av interlocking.

I think the general idea was for the (N) to return as an full express from 57-Canal (or 42-Canal) and have some sort of alternate service going to Whitehall as the local. I don't think Bay Parkway is ever returning as an alternate rush hour or weekday terminal unless the (Z) is eliminated and the (J) goes down there proper with the increased headway (which has been tossed around).

That's actually not true. The MTA frequently reads these threads for various reasons, and have in fact shaped a few plans and projects off this very forum. Not only that, but as it was mentioned above, there are a ton of MTA employees that are members of this forums. One of them happens to be our other Senior Moderator. Some of you need to learn how to ignore things and keep it moving. Unnecessary comments is what leads to the needless closing of threads 80% of the time.

That's actually not true. The MTA frequently reads these threads for various reasons, and have in fact shaped a few plans and projects off this very forum. Not only that, but as it was mentioned above, there are a ton of MTA employees that are members of this forums. One of them happens to be our other Senior Moderator. Some of you need to learn how to ignore things and keep it moving. Unnecessary comments is what leads to the needless closing of threads 80% of the time.

This post needs to be a sticky, and list which things they took from this forum.

How is it unnecessary when we all pointed out the crowding of the (N) on the Astoria Line, and especially on the Broadway Line.

I wouldn't even say its all that crowded most of the time. If anything (N) & (Q) trains get delayed going into Astoria-Ditmars cuz of all that train traffic which spills back to Astoria Bl, and on occasion 30 Av

Even when the (W) was around, trains were always delayed 95% of the time which forced some (N) & (W) trains to run express to Quennsboro Plz.

Like I said before, the (W) isn't really needed if its basically only gonna benefit Astoria riders. For all that, add an extra (N) train or 2

I wouldn't even say its all that crowded most of the time. If anything (N) & (Q) trains get delayed going into Astoria-Ditmars cuz of all that train traffic which spills back to Astoria Bl, and on occasion 30 Av

Even when the (W) was around, trains were always delayed 95% of the time which forced some (N) & (W) trains to run express to Quennsboro Plz.

Like I said before, the (W) isn't really needed if its basically only gonna benefit Astoria riders. For all that, add an extra (N) train or 2

No..............

Because the Astoria end is heavier than the CI end.............the W was a short turned N...........4 trips for each crew rather than 2............but now it's even more productive because of no more overlapping of equipment in midtown now that the Q provides the extra service.

Instead of bringing back the (W), they could just send the (N) through Montague, effectively imitating the old (W) and the 1990s service pattern. (N) riders who want to avoid Lower Manhattan could just switch to the (Q) at DeKalb for Broadway Express service over the bridge. Theoretically, it would be cheaper than resurrecting the (W), and if current service patterns remain, shouldn't cause much delay in the tunnel or north of Pacific, and would actually make the (Q) less delay-prone.

By putting the (N) back in the Montague Tunnel full-time, you will have Sea Beach riders running across the platform at DeKalb Avenue, crowding the (Q), which is crowded enough as it is. Not only that, but the local stations in lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn have lower ridership than those north of Canal Street. It's redundant to have both (N) and (R) trains running at the same time on the same route between Canal and Pacific. The only reason they did that in the 90s is because the south side Manhattan Bridge tracks were closed and there was no other way to operate trains between Astoria and Coney Island. There's no reason to do that today.

Why not install a few switches south of Astoria Boulevard and terminate (W) trains on the center track at that station? That ought to minimize delays into and out of Ditmars.

Once again what is so special about Nassau Street that it needs South Brooklyn service?. The (Mx) was barely every crowded. Face the fact that almost no one in South Brooklyn wants to go to Nassau Street. Most riders want to go to Midtown. Maybe an increase in the (R) trains by having more trains come out of the yards, or a reincarnated (W) that runs weekdays from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway would do a better job. Besides any change to the current Nassau Street services ((J), (Z)) would kill the skip stop service, and I have explained that a freaking 1,000 times.

Except that a revived (W) from Bay Parkway or additional (R) service via the Montague Street Tunnel will "take the long way" to get to Midtown Manhattan. It will have to go through downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan before it gets to Midtown. A (D) or (N) train via the 4th Avenue Express and Manhattan Bridge will reach Herald Square significantly faster than a (W) train via the 4th Avenue Local and Montague Tunnel because the Bridge route has significantly fewer stops and is a much straighter shot into Manhattan.

Unless your plan involves, at least, running the (W) over the Bridge, I can forsee West End riders passing up empty (W) trains in favor of crowded (D) trains. Or riders running off that (W) at 36th Street for an (N) express train.

Archived