The New Assignments...

dmouse

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theres a 99% chance that the (Z) won't go, Jamaica/Nassau St riders would go mad...

Maybe they would make the Bay Pkwy (J)'s, skip-stops/exp like the (Z)? For that matter, extend the (Z).

But if this all goes through, they should terminate it at 9th Ave, West End dont need extra service, its just the 4th Ave line that needs it badly.

Once again if you extend the (J), or the (Z) it would kill the successful skip stop service on the Jamaica Line unless if you have some other answers without killing the (J)/(Z) pattern. The best idea is to bring back the (W), and have it run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway at all times. Besides people could transfer to the (W) from the (J)/(Z) at Canal Street.

PS It seems like people are forgetting that the (J), and (Z) run together. That early reminder should work.

Wait, so the (J) might be extended to Bay Pkwy and this would eliminate the (Z)? Where did you hear this, and do u think this is likely to happen?

Something said by supervisors at work. just something being "looked into". Don't know how real it is.

This just gets even more unpredictable. The MTA wants to keep the (Z) to speed up travel times, so it rerouted the (Mx) to be the (M). Now they want to turn on themselves?
They probably realized the IRT needs the alternative for all its riders. While the Nassau service was said to have low ridership (which is why it was cut back middays, and they had been talking about cutting it altogether), and the ridership even in rush hours was probably not terribly high; I imagine any help for the IRT is needed.

Maybe they would make the Bay Pkwy (J)'s, skip-stops/exp like the (Z)? For that matter, extend the (Z).

Once again if you extend the (J), or the (Z) it would kill the successful skip stop service on the Jamaica Line unless if you have some other answers without killing the (J)/(Z) pattern. The best idea is to bring back the (W), and have it run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway at all times. Besides people could transfer to the (W) from the (J)/(Z) at Canal Street.

PS It seems like people are forgetting that the (J), and (Z) run together. That early reminder should work.

The way it was explained to me, the tight headway was supposed to be what would make up for the skip-stop. Maybe they looked at how effective the skip stop really was and figured the more frequent service would be enough. Skip-stop was really to relieve congestion from all the stops, more than to make it faster.

I wonder if all the service would go all the way through, and in the reverse direction. Maybe it was just a wild idea they tossed out. The planners have to think of every possible solution, so a lot of this stuff never goes anywhere. Just surprised it hadn't reached here yet.

This is all complicated for no reason... Just bring back "something" like the former Brown (M) You don't need the J or Z coming all the way down here. That line would almost be as long as the (A). Brown (M) would be great running to Bay Parkway during rush hours again that's when the West End REALLY needs service! Those (D) trains are PACKED to the MAX.

As someone else already said, they won't be able to do that, and I see it myself, with all the riders that have taken to the new (M). I myself always wanted to see the (V) the Church run, and wonder what will have to happen with that when the work over there is finished.

What I would think they should do to restore that part of the service, is just restore the Nassau specials. As for a letter, I could see the K being used for that, and I would really prefer for them to make it the T, and just go back to Y for Second Avenue, whenever those phases of the line ever oprn.

Dman the new (M) would be busier then the (Mx) ever would be. Plus people on the Jamaica Line would kill you if you tried to get rid of their new one seat ride to Midtown. The best way is just to bring back the (W) like I said, and have it run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway, and would give West End riders access to the Broadway Line. The (Mx) only provided service to Lower Manhattan. At least if the (D) line has problems we would still have access to Midtown Manhattan along with the (W). I think this is the most plausible solution after 2016 when the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway opens with the (Q). The (N) would run express on Broadway again when this happens.

An additional thing I've heard (which I'm surprised never turned up here) is them looking into replacing Bay Pkwy service with a single (J) at a 4 minute headway! that would be part of bringing the 32's over here, and more would be brought out of mothballing.

The ERA Bulletin this month mentions that there are 222 R-32's that remain in service (Including 6 cars used for the gel train that were returned to service). There were 18 additional cars that had been removed from service in the Fall as well.

Not sure if or when this would go through. Does make sense, because I had been thinking in all the excitement of the new Chrystie service, won't the riders displaced from the Montague service end up squeezing onto the IRT, which they had been desperately trying to reduce the crowds on?

Still, in all of that, I hadn't heard this stuff about the (A)(C) swap with the 46's, or the (G) getting 68's. I thought that stuff just fell by the wayside.

If They did do this they would need way more trains to do this and the 14 R42's with almost 3/4 R32 fleet would be needed to make up for this and if the MTA decided to go green light with this then this would be good but 9th ave would have been a better terminal, Bay Parkway is to long

Once again any extension of the (J), OR (Z) would destroy the successful skip stop service on the Jamaica Line, and would render it useless. In the end the best option is a reincarnated (W) line. It's the most plausible due to the fact the (Q) is going to the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway. People on the (J), and (Z) can just TRANSFER (Yes there is that lovely world again) to the (W) at Canal Street, and head on down to South Brooklyn. There is no use in extending the (J), and (Z) together, because it would just delay the Fourth Avenue Line during rush hours, and it would clog up the Montague Street Tunnel, and I already explained why you can't extend the (J), OR (Z) independently. Of course unless if you have money to drill a new tunnel under the East River for the (J), and (Z), and send it down somewhere which would cost billions. Which the (MTA) doesn't have to send the (J), and (Z) somewhere in South Brooklyn, or somewhere close to there.

Once again any extension of the (J), OR (Z) would destroy the successful skip stop service on the Jamaica Line, and would render it useless. In the end the best option is a reincarnated (W) line. It's the most plausible due to the fact the (Q) is going to the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway. People on the (J), and (Z) can just TRANSFER (Yes there is that lovely world again) to the (W) at Canal Street, and head on down to South Brooklyn. There is no use in extending the (J), and (Z) together, because it would just delay the Fourth Avenue Line during rush hours, and it would clog up the Montague Street Tunnel, and I already explained why you can't extend the (J), OR (Z) independently. Of course unless if you have money to drill a new tunnel under the East River for the (J), and (Z), and send it down somewhere which would cost billions. Which the (MTA) doesn't have to send the (J), and (Z) somewhere in South Brooklyn, or somewhere close to there.

Dude......take a f#cking chill pill and just wait and see what happens like the rest of us.

Speaking of the (Z), why doesn't it run express all the way to Broadway Junction?

Would skip the 2 stops b/w BJ and Myrtle Av. People would not be happy being served by one train. That plus you would likely cause a jam at Myrtle because of the (M) crossing over the switches past the station. Trains on just the local tracks minimizes the congestion.

Would skip the 2 stops b/w BJ and Myrtle Av. People would not be happy being served by one train. That plus you would likely cause a jam at Myrtle because of the (M) crossing over the switches past the station. Trains on just the local tracks minimizes the congestion.

plus, its only one stop, the (J)(Z) already saves a lot of time, its too bad they cant do it all the time like the (1) and (9) used to be

What the hell? How the hell is bring back the (W) is a bad idea with extensions to Bay Parkway. You can't force the (M) to go back to Bay Parkway. Besides it's more popular now then it ever was. People would fight tooth and nail to keep that. Besides the (Mx) wasn't even popular anyway. I don't really see it being crowded with passengers on the West End Line unless if there is bad weather that would formally delay a (D) train, and people would ride it, or when some accident shuts down the (D), and it was only useful then. Otherwise there wasn't much use to it. Any service that comes out of the Nassau Street Line won't be popular anyway having to be based out of Chambers Street, because if it went up any farther it would jam the (J), and (Z), and there is really no point to it when it would only serve Lower Manhattan. The extended (W) would serve Lower Manhattan, Queens, and Midtown Manhattan. It's better then bringing back the (Mx), or something like the <R> which would have extremely low ridership. I have had been using common sense. It's just that your blindness to it is preventing you from seeing that.

I agree with bringing back the (W).Make it run from Whitehall to Bay Parkway and rush hrs add 2-4 train sets so they can run to 57th and terminate there for rush hrs.

Rush hours only, the (W) should be brought back. However, I don't see the need for the (W) to go all the way to Bay Pkwy. If there's a demand for more service via the Montegue tunnel to Lower Manhattan, then they can run a couple of those (W) trains to 9th Av and turn back.

plus, its only one stop, the (J)(Z) already saves a lot of time, its too bad they cant do it all the time like the (1) and (9) used to be

(1)(9) served stations that had different needs. (J)(Z) served mainly residential areas and the ridership was more or less even among the stations. That's why (J)(Z) skip stop works better.

Archived