Two Small Question About "Odd" I.R.T. Route Numbers On Roll Signs

EE Broadway Local

In the past, 8 was used for Astoria I.R.T. service (1948-1949) and again for the 70(8) I.R.T. Third Avenue El (1967 - April 29, 1973), 9 was originally for Dyre Avenue then was used as the (9) Broadway local (1989 - May 27, 2005). IIRC, (11) was considered as a replacement number for the <7> (which is why it is seen in a purple bullet).

When the <5> was discontinued on May 27, 2005, Neried Avenue-East 238th Street peak direction trains became simply (5) instead of being assigned a new number to distiguish them from the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue (5)s.

Was/is there consideration to use other "odd" I.R.T. route numbers that are seen from time to time such as (10) (12) (13) and is (13) the highest known route number on roll signs? Also, is it true that (8) exists on both a red and a green bullet today?

From time to time, the MTA in its various planning departments has ideas for train routes and other features - that will never actually be activated - although the provision was there in the train route signs just in case.

Those extra numbers will most probably in our life-times never be used.

Mike

Yes, I believe the (8) would be a Lex local / Pelham Express (like the <6>)weekdays, and the (6) would be Local; Pelham Bay Pk to Bklyn Br, all times.

I actually submitted that as an official suggestion around 2004, when the 9 was still running, to reduce confusion. It was rejected. I forget the reason given.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ive seen the whole sign. It goes:

(1)(9)(2)(3)(13)(4)(5)<5>(6)<6>(8)(10)(12)(7)<7>(11)(S).

on the exterior sign, after (S), "Shuttle", "Not In Service", & "Special" are displayed after that.

2 things I gotta clarify...

-the 12 bullet comes after the 10 bullet

-the (S) bullet comes after the (11) bullet

2 things I gotta clarify...

-the 12-2.png bullet comes after the 10-2.png bullet

-the (S) bullet comes after the 11-2.png bullet

yes, thats what I put on the page! LOL.

Is <4> officially used? I heard that the (2) was considered to become the Bronx Thru Express and that there is a <2>.

If so, would the full set be (1)(2)<2>(3)(9)13-2.png(4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6>8-1.png10-2.png12-2.png(7)<7>11-2.png(S)?

no, there was never supposed to be a <2> on signs. Though there is a rumor of a red (12) and a (14) (which some people have claimed to see and I have seen it on the 42 Street Shuttle rollsign).

I dont know why there is an (8) (why cant someone make a green (8) bullet as a smilie??) on the signs, and it makes no sense to be there. I wonder if ever when the R62A's were on the (6)<6> they put an (8) on the signs :P

• 1 month later...
Hmmmm the (9) would still be on the rollsign b/c it was still running eventhough it was suspended b/c September 2001 to early 2002!

well that makes sense even though I have never seen it...

But what about the <2>? that shouldn't have appeared... :confused:

We did have modified rollsigns on some redbirds when the Lenox Ave invert project was in effect. It had (2) via Lexington signs overlaid on the original signs. IIRC that was the era where a few (3) trains ran on WPR during the am and pm rush hours although they had no special signs made for them. During the pre-redbird era I remember some end signs on the (1) had B'way below the number, the (2) said 7th Ave, and the (3) said Lenox below the number. The East side trains, pre-redbird, were set up the same way on the end signs. If someone out here has access to the OLD route and destination end signs they'll notice that, in tandem, all of the (1) line destinations ( South Ferry, 137, Dyckman, Van Cortlandt) and all of the subsequent lines 2-7 destinations appear in order. That way a (1), or (6) train M/M only had to turn the end destination sign once or twice at the bridge or ferry instead of going through a bunch of irrelevant destinations in order to reach the correct one. Hope this helps.

there is now a <2> its used in combination with the <5>. after the <5> was restored in september 2010 the mta added a <2> to run between 3rd avenue-149th street and 180th street. they would not make it the rest of the route because citizens on white plains road would complain but there are <2> which runs rarely in the morning rush and afternoon rush. this is gonna sound creepy but i stalked 180th street to see the possibility of a <2> train and i had the luck that i did. it was headed northbound. once it transferred back to the local track the sign on the r-142 switched back to (2). i garantee you, you stalk either 149th street or 180th street during either rush hour you are bound to see a <2> if your lucky. i found out when i got on a 2 train at grand concourse and the sign said <2> i then realized after the train switched onto the <5> middle track. it was fun riding on a <2>.

Archived