Bathroom Onboard Subway Cars

Chip1035

I definitely agree with you. I can't imagine the MTA ever making provisions for on-car bathrooms; it would be a nightmare.

They barely keep the station bathrooms, whenever they're open, looking serviceable; bathrooms on the line would look like crap in a heartbeat.

This guy I work with says he used to go into the subway as a kid and use it. The trains were made of straw. He couldn't tell me the line but he'd catch the train in Brooklyn. He's around 50 years old. What I asked him was, are you sure you didn't go in your pants and think that was a potty on the subway. B)

This guy I work with says he used to go into the subway as a kid and use it. The trains were made of straw. He couldn't tell me the line but he'd catch the train in Brooklyn. He's around 50 years old. What I asked him was, are you sure you didn't go in your pants and think that was a potty on the subway. :(

The R1/9s nor Low-Vs never had bathrooms (I'm assuming those are the cars hes talking about). And I assume the "straw" is the wicker seats.

By the way, some people go between subway cars. In a technical sense that can be considered a bathroom on the subway....

AFAIK no passenger subway cars had bathrooms. It's possible trolleys may have, but unlikely. The Mineola had a restroom but it was a private car.

However that's not to say that many haven't tried to make their own bathrooms on subway cars over the years out of little more than whatever happened to be underneath them when nature rang the conductor's bell...

I agree with the above mention of the "Mineola' office car as the only restroom equipped subway car, but as it was not in public service, it shouldn't be counted.

On a related subject, NYCTA did briefly operate restroom equipped buses, though the restrooms were not in service and were kept locked....

these were the former Greyhound MC-8's that the TA leased from Hausman to operate some express routes during the Grumman 870 axle crisis.

However that's not to say that many haven't tried to make their own bathrooms on subway cars over the years out of little more than whatever happened to be underneath them when nature rang the conductor's bell...

Just like on any NYCHA property, any place two vertical plains form a right angel is someone's restroom.

Besides the mineola, I can think of two potential interpretations of on train subway bathrooms which may have existed.

One is the Track Geometry cars. TGC2 has one, and I assume TGC3-4-5 do too. I doubt the sperry cars have one, but wouldnt be too surprised if they did.

The other is Lirr cars. Again, I doubt the MP41s had them, but would not have been surprised if at least a few of them did. While I doubt many alive today would have ridden them in subway service, they certainly did run in the subway.

Besides the mineola, I can think of two potential interpretations of on train subway bathrooms which may have existed.

One is the Track Geometry cars. TGC2 has one, and I assume TGC3-4-5 do too.

They do, but there not used.

It is project-bashing, but I take your point. As to the original topic, it would be nice to have a restroom in each 4-or 5-car permanent set, but I give it less than a week before the subway car bathrooms would be rendered unusable. You would also need a dedicated maintenance staff to handle the car bathrooms, and given how hard (MTA) is scrambling to lay people off there's no way in hell they'd hire anyone for that.

It is project-bashing, but I take your point. As to the original topic, it would be nice to have a restroom in each 4-or 5-car permanent set, but I give it less than a week before the subway car bathrooms would be rendered unusable. You would also need a dedicated maintenance staff to handle the car bathrooms, and given how hard (MTA) is scrambling to lay people off there's no way in hell they'd hire anyone for that.

I think if there were bath rooms on the trains, they would run for a week before it was decided that they would be made unsanitary and that they would need to be cleaned so often that it would just not be practical. Just look at the public restrooms that are open at some stations. They are filthy and they do get cleaned. Unless on train rest rooms were cleaned after EVERY trip, they would just be too gross to use.

Archived