City bus fatally strikes dad of 10 on his way to buy groceries

CPBO

A 76-year-old father of 10 was crushed to death beneath the wheels of a city bus while on his way to buy groceries in the Bronx last night, police said.

The bus didn't stop after hitting Eddie Cortes, and investigators said the driver may not have realized he struck someone, a law enforcement source said.

Cops stopped and checked six buses on the BX22 line but found no sign that any had been involved in an accident, the source said.

Cortes was trying to cross Castle Hill Ave. about 7 p.m. when the bus turning off Starling Ave. hit him, according to witnesses.

"It was a gruesome sight," said Ilias Fellahi, 19.

Grieving relatives, including four of Cortes' daughters, gathered at the accident site for hours last night, weeping and consoling each other.

"He was a good husband, a good father and a good friend for everyone," said the retired contractor's distraught wife, Aida, 76.

Daughter Becky, 37, described her dad as "a good person, a happy person and a very good father who was just trying to cross the street."

Police said there was no suspicion of criminality.

Neighborhood resident Erik Mouzon, 18, complained that buses at the intersection are "reckless."

"They're fast to make the turn and so big," he said.

MTA officials declined comment.

lstandora@nydailynews.com

The cops found no evidence of a accident on any of the BX22 and yet the paper has a headline of dad killed by city bus.......they don't know maybe the person that told them that has a beef with MTA and just wants to smear the name and get the drivers nerves shot, if this did not happen by a city bus.....but if a driver ran over someone and does not know he did....the paper should of had a different headline in my eyes.......it is not clear yet that a city bus did this.

The cops found no evidence of a accident on any of the BX22 and yet the paper has a headline of dad killed by city bus.......they don't know maybe the person that told them that has a beef with MTA and just wants to smear the name and get the drivers nerves shot, if this did not happen by a city bus.....but if a driver ran over someone and does not know he did....the paper should of had a different headline in my eyes.......it is not clear yet that a city bus did this.

Just saw it this morning on Ch.7/ABC 6am Morning News. Sad to hear that this Father is gone.:(

That's the Daily News for you. Good old anti-MTA, anti-union, anti-civil service workers but they are pro-wall street, pro-bankers.

Instead of taking sides and trying to debate the accuracy of the story, how about we all act like decent folk and mourn the fact that a father was killed in a tragic accident.

If they had a take a urine sample and be inconvenienced for a little while it sure as hell is better than the fate this guy suffered. At least these guys will live to see another day.

Thats A Sad Story To Hear , Some Drivers Do make turns very fast like they just throw the bus around the corner like its nothing , they need to use both hands , keep all eyes out and be cautious of whats around them . Alot of drivers use their left or right hand and swing the bus and make the gas pedal flat and fly around the corner , if it was a empty street at night and there isnt any passengers on the bus then yea sure go ahead and swing it , cut the lights but anyways it isnt his fault he hit the guy , he should of used more percaution while he was turning . Im sure he will be driving a bus soon again .

I agree. Making drivers piss, with no evidence of an accident happening with their bus, is telling someone they are suspected of doing something, with no evidence. That is just wrong. People need to understand, no matter how reckless any driver of a large truck or bus is, when those things are making a turn, or about to, just let the bigger vehicle have the right of way. They do have lots of blind spots. Don't assume they will see you. Artics are the worst, cause fact is, you will lose sight of the rear right wheels, when you make a right turn. I know. I drove them...............

Saying this, it's not a good way to die for anyone...........

People need to understand, no matter how reckless any driver of a large truck or bus is, when those things are making a turn, or about to, just let the bigger vehicle have the right of way. They do have lots of blind spots. Don't assume they will see you. Artics are the worst, cause fact is, you will lose sight of the rear right wheels, when you make a right turn. I know. I drove them...............

People are stupid like that. I hate when people don't move back when I'm making turns, they stand out in the street and let the rear tires almost run them over before they move back.

I'm not trying to speak ill of the dead but I think that's what happened here. Hopefully the B/O involved will not get suspeneded or terminated.

People are stupid like that. I hate when people don't move back when I'm making turns, they stand out in the street and let the rear tires almost run them over before they move back.

I see that on 23rd and Park all the time. When the BxM7a (or whatever goes to Co-op City) has to turn there, those people refuse to move unless the bus is literally about to run over them.

I see that on 23rd and Park all the time. When the BxM7a (or whatever goes to Co-op City) has to turn there, those people refuse to move unless the bus is literally about to run over them.

Its worse down the nlock on 23 St & Avenue C where you have the M23 and the plethora of express buses that make that same turn to get onto the FDR.

Another bad spot is on Avenue C and 20 St right after the M23 leaves the terminal and makes that first right turn. Its greater than 90 decrees since Avenue C runs at an angle in that area and the max angle light on the dashboard always comes on.

Its still sad to hear about this

Its worse down the nlock on 23 St & Avenue C where you have the M23 and the plethora of express buses that make that same turn to get onto the FDR.

Another bad spot is on Avenue C and 20 St right after the M23 leaves the terminal and makes that first right turn. Its greater than 90 decrees since Avenue C runs at an angle in that area and the max angle light on the dashboard always comes on.

Its still sad to hear about this

I actually feel sorry for the artic drivers who have to make those two turns. Especially given the amount of joggers and bickers (eww) there. And on 23rd you're constantly fighting with traffic to make the same turn.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I actually feel sorry for the artic drivers who have to make those two turns. Especially given the amount of joggers and bickers (eww) there. And on 23rd you're constantly fighting with traffic to make the same turn.

Me personally don't think its worth the extra 25 cents an hour

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Me personally don't think its worth the extra 25 cents an hour

Thats kind of funny to me because NYC is one of the only cities in the country that pays their artic drivers extra. Most all other TA's pay the same rate for all equipment. It's not like they are even that hard to drive.

Thats kind of funny to me because NYC is one of the only cities in the country that pays their artic drivers extra. Most all other TA's pay the same rate for all equipment. It's not like they are even that hard to drive.

It doesn't look that hard to drive (I'm not sure, the biggest thing I drove is a U-Haul truck) but the problem is when those artics make those turns and it leaves that mega blind spot on the opposite side

The loss of people are tradegies to those families and friends effected, my condolences for the loss.

Unfortunately, the MTA will use any excuse it can with no supporting evidence to directly/indirectly lay blame on its own employees. Bus Operators who work the area will be tarnished some more by the riding public. MTA management constantly allows its employees to be fodder for all accusations against the agency, yet clears itself of any mismanagement with its own board daily (IE:Boxer's Day snowstorm). The MTA should be out in front defending its employees, especially after investigating and finding no evidence to support the accusations. Having personally been involved in surface transportation investigations, the MTA should be ashamed of itself for not defending its own workers and instead causing a little more public resentment and a little more worker cynicism.

• 1 month later...

This always was a bad turn - a hard 90 degrees. I was born and raised in Parkchester (Metropolitan Ave.) and know the area intimately. I attended PS 106 and JHS 127. In fact, I drove the Bx22 when it was still the Bx13 and ran only between Castle Hill Pool and Pelham Parkway - a scheduled 30-minute one way trip.

The bulk of the time I operated this route we had the old 3300 series 5303s and the 4600 - 4700 Flxibles. The Flexies (as we called them) took arms of steel to turn. We had manual steering, no right mirrors and you had to step on the accelerator with full body weight if the mechanics didn't set the cable from the pedal to the engine just right. At night, the glare from the overhead dome lights made right side visibility tough - especially if the once-glass window panes had been replaced with lexan.

It is devastating not only to the victim and their loved ones but also to the Bus Operator when there is a fatality. I don't care how big or how bad you think you are. Knowing that you were at the wheel when the bus took a life stays with you forever. No amount of prayer, alcohol or therapy washes that memory away.

I remember consoling an Operator who pancaked a teenager on the Bx12. The Highway Patrol cops (the precinct was called Motorcycle 1 back then) kept telling the Operator it was not his fault. But this massive, 6-foot plus guy just lost it and cried his eyes out.

We do the best we can out there. And the Monday morning quarterbacks who know nothing about a bus except how to be a passenger always seem to vilify the Operator.

Watch those mirrors. Focus on the road and - above all - remember you get paid by the hour and there is no reason to rush.

Archived