Can R142s and R142As mix?

CTK246

I remember looking at classic photos on NYCsubway.org of Slants hooked up to the other straight-ended trains. Now that's serious stuff.

Dude, I swear, I caught & rode a set of R40s, slants coupled to mods on both the (:) and the (C). I thought I was seeing stuff but it was actually coupled to each other. It was really weird crossing cars between a slant and a mod LOL.

Dude, I swear, I caught & rode a set of R40s, slants coupled to mods on both the (:o and the (C). I thought I was seeing stuff but it was actually coupled to each other. It was really weird crossing cars between a slant and a mod LOL.

Use to happen when they were on the (L). The R40/R42 mix was also common on a few lines like the (J).

All R10-R42s can operate in service together. The IRT was a prime example as you would see trains mixed with R12-36 cars up until the 1980s that is. Even after the 1980s R26/28/29/33s were mixed with each other. The BMT/IND you had R16-R42s that did mix together. R10s did mix with other SMEE cars, but did not happen very often though.

http://images.nycsubway.org/i5000/img_5444.jpg

Credits go to David Pirmann.

However within that, cars in the "redbird" series with different propulsion packages (GE vs. WH) frequently did not intermix due to performance issues even though it could be done.

Use to happen when they were on the (L). The R40/R42 mix was also common on a few lines like the (J).

Interesting, never knew they were coupled like that on the (L) at times. Everyone knows about the Mods/R42s but to see Slants & R42s would be a rather interesting site.

However within that, cars in the "redbird" series with different propulsion packages (GE vs. WH) frequently did not intermix due to performance issues even though it could be done.

Spot on. The idea was to mix cars with the same propulsion packages. A yard would rather be short a train or two rather than mix the equipment GE-WH. They tried to give each yard either GE or Westinghouse equipment when it was possible. IIRC Lenox yard in the IRT ran all types of equipment with 240th yard and 239th yard being the main repair barns because we didn't have one of our own back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember looking at classic photos on NYCsubway.org of Slants hooked up to the other straight-ended trains. Now that's serious stuff.

Can you imagine if the TA decided they wanted the R-32 hook up to to a R-42 tomorrow??everybody on this board will lose their mind if they see this....hell will actually freeze over!

BTW couple weeks ago, I saw an 160 hook up to an 143 in ENY yard.

BTW couple weeks ago, I saw an 160 hook up to an 143 in ENY yard.

Oh God, SOMEONE GET ME A MOP!!!:drool:

:drool:I'm going to need a sewer drain :drool::drool::drool:

I wonder if that is possible to mix the 2 and have them in service :lightbulb:.

This begs the question, since the R143 has only the (L)(Mx) programmed in, if an R160 was being used as a C/R car, if the program would be compatible with the R143...but of course, the ONLY way possible for this set to see service would be on the (L), because having FINDs and strip maps is just too confusing.

Archived