SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2022 at 11:24 PM, R32 3838 said:

That's not happening. There is a reason why the (N)(R) swapped terminals back in 1987, Yard access is important.

With my full deinterlining plans with broadway, you’d have no problem w yard access

On 6/16/2022 at 3:35 AM, R32 3838 said:

The (W) shares with the (N) so it would make sense for it to share fleet. The (B) doesn't share its fleet with another line so it doesn't really need brand new trains vs the busier lines. the oldest R160s turn 17 within 3 weeks, Age is a factor in all of this.

The (B) most definitely shares cars. If needed, they can (and have) take a set laid up for the (B) and use it in the (N) or (Q)

6 hours ago, Fresh Pond said:

The (B) most definitely shares cars. If needed, they can (and have) take a set laid up for the (B) and use it in the (N) or (Q)

I was talking about like how the (N)(W) shares cars at its terminal. Not in the yard, I should have worded it better. I know the (B) shares its fleet with the (N)(Q)(W) lines in terms of R68s.

Edited by R32 3838

On 6/17/2022 at 3:23 PM, R32 3838 said:

Broadway isn't on the roadmap yet which IMO Astoria CBTC should have included Broadway instead of having it from Ditmars to 57th/7th. They need to also de-interline that mess at 34th st before they even think about cbtc on Broadway.

Why would Astoria be on the CBTC list, but not the main Broadway trunk line from 57th to Canal? Astoria doesn’t connect to any other B-Division trunk line than Broadway. Wouldn’t it be kind of wasteful to equip the Astoria el for CBTC by itself? They’d have no choice but to retire at least part of the R68 fleet and run R211s or R160s on the (N) and (W). That would leave the (Q) and the Franklin (S) as the only lines where R68-series cars can still run. What were the MTA heads thinking here?  

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Why would Astoria be on the CBTC list, but not the main Broadway trunk line from 57th to Canal? Astoria doesn’t connect to any other B-Division trunk line than Broadway. Wouldn’t it be kind of wasteful to equip the Astoria el for CBTC by itself? They’d have no choice but to retire at least part of the R68 fleet and run R211s or R160s on the (N) and (W). That would leave the (Q) and the Franklin (S) as the only lines where R68-series cars can still run. What were the MTA heads thinking here?  

Currently, as I’m pretty sure, the plans are to give the (N)(W) the leftover NTTs, if there are any. The (MTA) , if they’re smart, Will add another option to the r211s to give to the (N)(Q)(W), to put some of the 68s as spares.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, Storm said:

With my plans, Broadway Express would receive CBTC first; and is probably priority for CBTC along that trunk. It’d make sense, as I’d send the (N)(Q) up to 96th street (as you suggested). I wish they made an express track ( (Q) SA Express, (N) SA local) but they didn’t. So my plans changed. Either we axe the (W) or send it to continental, and send the (R) to Astoria.

Phase A of deinterlining:

The easiest deinterlining would be done by flipping the (R) and (W)‘s northern terminuses. 

Phase B of deinterlining:

Now that we have the (R) going to Astoria, there’s no need for a second line going there. We can send the (N) to Second Avenue, as SAS can handle 40 TPH at max. The (N) would now run full time express.

Phase C of deinterlining:

This part is optional, and would lose riders their one seat ride. But, I’m going to share it anyway.

(B) via 4th Ave local, to Bay Ridge-95th Street

(D) via 4th Ave express, via Sea Beach, to Coney Island

(N) via Brighton Express, to Brighton Beach

(Q) via Brighton Local, to Coney Island

(R) via West End, to Coney Island

Fleet assignments and TPH:

(B): R211; 15 TPH

(D): R211; 15 TPH

(N): R160; 16 TPH

(Q): R160; 16 TPH

(R)R68; 13 TPH

(W): R211; 13 TPH

(THIS WOULD BE DONE AFTER BROADWAY EXPRESS GETS THE GREENLIGHT+ R68S ARE PHASED OUT)

I guess in terms of yard assignments:

concourse - (B) 

Coney Island - (D)(N)(Q)(R) 

jamaica - (E)(F)(G)(W) 

since concourse really can’t handle more than one line. Another problem I see is the 4 Av Line. We’re now going to have two locals ( the (B) and (R) ) and one express ( the (D) ), and 30+ TPH will be platforming at DeKalb Av for the (B)(N) and (Q). If the (B) is planned to skip DeKalb Av, then it would be the 4 Av Express to 36 St; then local to Bay Ridge-95 St. So in that case, the (B) cannot arrive at 36 St and allow for cross-platform connections with any other lune since it has to switch to local just past 25 St, similar to how the (N) did when the 4 Av Express track was out of service between 36 and 59 Sts. These changes do not allow for additional trains or services to be added since you still have interlining along 4 Av

9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I guess in terms of yard assignments:

concourse - (B) 

Coney Island - (D)(N)(Q)(R) 

jamaica - (E)(F)(G)(W) 

since concourse really can’t handle more than one line. Another problem I see is the 4 Av Line. We’re now going to have two locals ( the (B) and (R) ) and one express ( the (D) ), and 30+ TPH will be platforming at DeKalb Av for the (B)(N) and (Q). If the (B) is planned to skip DeKalb Av, then it would be the 4 Av Express to 36 St; then local to Bay Ridge-95 St. So in that case, the (B) cannot arrive at 36 St and allow for cross-platform connections with any other lune since it has to switch to local just past 25 St, similar to how the (N) did when the 4 Av Express track was out of service between 36 and 59 Sts. These changes do not allow for additional trains or services to be added since you still have interlining along 4 Av

Good point. Maybe we can send the (R) via 4th Ave express, as it will be running via West End

10 hours ago, 7-express said:

Looks like the city no longer wants their redbird in front of the Queens Borough Hall: https://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/nycdcas,ny/auction/view?auc=3055793

Wasn't 9075 a ML redbird and not one of the cars that ran on the (7) ? I don't think this particular car ever took people to the world fair back in the day.

If this car gets scrapped, no loss. There's plenty of Redbirds saved. Also if that is an R33ML redbird it's an married pair so it's pretty much useless without its mate if one wanted to make it operational 

15-year-old in critical condition after striking head while subway surfing atop NYC 7 train

-Credit to the New York Post:   https://nypost.com/2022/06/24/teen-in-critical-condition-after-striking-head-while-subway-surfing-atop-nyc-7-train/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

That's a real shame. Goes to show you that sometimes if you play, you pay.

26 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

15-year-old in critical condition after striking head while subway surfing atop NYC 7 train

-Credit to the New York Post:   https://nypost.com/2022/06/24/teen-in-critical-condition-after-striking-head-while-subway-surfing-atop-nyc-7-train/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

That's a real shame. Goes to show you that sometimes if you play, you pay.

Honestly, this is what people deserve after surfing trains. I send my condolences to his family and him, but seriously, that was his fault.

8 hours ago, Storm said:

Honestly, this is what people deserve after surfing trains. I send my condolences to his family and him, but seriously, that was his fault.

I take your condolences from him and his family. Stupidity ought to be among the cardinal sins.

I know that I posted this before but I don’t recall if I got a response from this, but concerning the upcoming (J) train shutdown east of 121 St, and the claim that the MTA will run the same level of service along the line, why will the (Z) train and skip-stop service be suspended? Is there something I’m missing, because if the same level of service can be provided along the line, then wouldn’t it make sense for the same service patterns to run (or just start the skip stop service west of Woodhaven Blvd, and have the (J)(Z) both stop at 121 St, 111 St and 104 St

13 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I know that I posted this before but I don’t recall if I got a response from this, but concerning the upcoming (J) train shutdown east of 121 St, and the claim that the MTA will run the same level of service along the line, why will the (Z) train and skip-stop service be suspended? Is there something I’m missing, because if the same level of service can be provided along the line, then wouldn’t it make sense for the same service patterns to run (or just start the skip stop service west of Woodhaven Blvd, and have the (J)(Z) both stop at 121 St, 111 St and 104 St

They’ll probably run the (J) at 5 minute Frequencies (12 TPH) to cover both lines.