SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You do realize that trains go through an automatic car wash. I don’t remember any individuals cleaning the equipment by hand. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?

Sure, I was saying that the 62A's on the 1 Line appear filthy, much more so than the ones that run on the #6. That's interesting, I didn't know that they go through an automatic car wash. Is that at the 207th Street Yard? 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Prospect said:

Sure, I was saying that the 62A's on the 1 Line appear filthy, much more so than the ones that run on the #6. That's interesting, I didn't know that they go through an automatic car wash. Is that at the 207th Street Yard? 

I wonder where cars for the (A) and (C) would “get washed”, because clearly that car wash is broken - ditto for the (L) and (4) trains.

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I wonder where cars for the (A) and (C) would “get washed”, because clearly that car wash is broken - ditto for the (L) and (4) trains.

That’s always the case… car wash is out of service… man those car washes have been “broken” for years… 🙄

22 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Just to point out, seems like maybe Westchester finally decided on removing the LED cirlcle/diamond lights from the side signs. Theres a handfull of R62As on the (6) already without them.

They’re probably gonna transfer them LEDs to Corona yard. 

2 hours ago, VIP said:

They’re probably gonna transfer them LEDs to Corona yard. 

so strange that Corona Yard thinks the (7) and <7> train need a circle or diamond to designate their service pattern for the passengers (even with the R142A / R188 cars displaying either FLUSHING LCL or FLUSHING EXP, yet Westchester Yard doesn't think (6) and <6> trains need the designation for its commuters, and now all the (6) trains display the circle (6) instead of designating express service on the sides of its trains with the <6> sign.

9 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

so strange that Corona Yard thinks the (7) and <7> train need a circle or diamond to designate their service pattern for the passengers (even with the R142A / R188 cars displaying either FLUSHING LCL or FLUSHING EXP, yet Westchester Yard doesn't think (6) and <6> trains need the designation for its commuters, and now all the (6) trains display the circle (6) instead of designating express service on the sides of its trains with the <6> sign.

Yeah, that's it. It totally doesn't have to do with a multitude of rollsigns per train on a high-frequency route and/or those LCDs.

I wonder if that R143 and R160A-1 running on the (J) is whatever needed in service. They do have a 4-car spare on each class: 143, 160 and the 179. 

Kind of reminded me that last Sunday, there was a R68 2876-2879 and R68A 5017-5020 together as a (Q) but from what I've heard, the braking is different. 

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I don't think you realize the (6) gets absolutely hammered during the rush. No one has time to go and change out the rollsigns, and I'm sure the switch for the LED's is broken at this point, since I always see cars displaying random circles and diamonds.

I hope Concourse Yard has enough R68s for the (D) . Or that they need to take a 68 out of Coney Island Yard. Lately, there's a sign of duct tape and black background with the D paper in tact on their 68s. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder how they got the strip map and FIND to co exist? Crazy how the R143/R160 are able to run in the same consist while the R142/R142A cannot despite the same combination of propulsion systems. 

they got it to work (if you check the youtube videos from the mixed train's run) . Both the R143 and R160 signs had the correct LED and FIND displays working

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I hope Concourse Yard has enough R68s for the (D) . Or that they need to take a 68 out of Coney Island Yard. Lately, there's a sign of duct tape and black background with the D paper in tact on their 68s. 

Unfortunately, due to the CBTC activation on QB, requiring a higher spare factor for R160s, now all the non-Jamaica yard cars / lines have to have a low spare factor:

(D) - only 4.5 trains as spares / runs 29 trains during rush hours

(B) - only 4.5 trains as spared / runs 25 trains during rush hours

(Q) - only 4 trains as spares / runs 21 trains during rush hours (plus a loaner from the (R) in the morning and a loaner from the (B) in the evening)

(N)(W) - only 5 trains as spares / runs 33 trains during rush hours

(A) - Only 6 trains as spares / runs 38 trains during rush hours

(C) - only 4 trains as spares / run 18 trains during rush hours

The only way to increase spare factor now is to reduce service on the (A)(C)(B)(D)(N)(Q) lines.

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

(Q) - only 4 trains as spares / runs 21 trains during rush hours (plus a loaner from the (R) in the morning and a loaner from the (B) in the evening)

How many of those go to the (N)? The headway is atrocious.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

How many of those go to the (N)? The headway is atrocious.

The (N)(W) use 33 trains total: 22 for the (N), 11 for the (W). The spare factor is combined, so you can assume the (N) has a spare factor of 3 and the (W) has a spare factor of 2, or just say the (N) has a spare factor of 5 and the (W) doesn't have a spare factor.

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Unfortunately, due to the CBTC activation on QB, requiring a higher spare factor for R160s, now all the non-Jamaica yard cars / lines have to have a low spare factor:

The only way to increase spare factor now is to reduce service on the (A)(C)(B)(D)(N)(Q) lines.

No Because of the R32 retirement, Spare factor has decreased hence why the R46s are barely doing great and always having issues. The R179's plus the extra 16 cars finally bridged the gap and allowed them to kill off 50%+ of the R32 fleet and all of the 50 R42's. Then they decided to retire all the R32s thus creating another car shortage in terms of spares. The (A) had a very good R46 spare factor (12 sets in total) that was going to be reduced thanks to the R179s and the R32s would have supplemented to allow pitkin to send more R46s to CI yard increase their spare factor even more.  Jamaica being all R160s made things worse because they need a higher spare factor but not on the level of ENY since ENY has car types and now has two CBTC lines instead of just one. And Also now CI has a fleet average of 35 years instead of 12 years (in 2020 their newest R160s were 12 years old. I'm not counting 9853-9942 as those were originally Jamaica's and were there only briefly).

With the (C) using R46s, The (A) suffers as well. The (A) / (C) has to share 5 R46 sets together plus a pair and it doesn't help that 4 R46's combined plus one A car from an A-A set (6214) are OOS with the 4 cars pending scrap and 6214 as a spare R46. 

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if that R143 and R160A-1 running on the (J) is whatever needed in service. They do have a 4-car spare on each class: 143, 160 and the 179. 

Kind of reminded me that last Sunday, there was a R68 2876-2879 and R68A 5017-5020 together as a (Q) but from what I've heard, the braking is different. 

They are doing this to probably reduce the spare factor in the future. If these mixed trains are successful without issue, They can reduce the spare factor without issue and could send more 8 car R179s to the (C) freeing up more R46s. The same could be said about CI with the R68s to slightly increase their spare factor.

Edited by R32 3838

Using the (R) from Whitehall St up to 86 St-Brooklyn will be longer and crowded because of a crew shortage on the Staten Island Ferry, hourly waits until next morning. Although, NYC Ferrys are free but still be packed with extra boats. 

297161311_10160765250992638_334583145909

Kamillah Hanks photo

Edited by Calvin

For those of you wondering about ridership patterns, this article says weekend ridership is rebounding faster than weekday ridership.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/nyc-subway-use-is-rebounding-faster-on-weekends-than-weekdays-1.1800924

Those (C) trains on CPW be CRUSH LOADED on weekends. 

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Using the (R) from Whitehall St up to 86 St-Brooklyn will be longer and crowded because of a crew shortage on the Staten Island Ferry, hourly waits until next morning. Although, NYC Ferrys are free but still be packed with extra boats. 

297161311_10160765250992638_334583145909

Kamillah Hanks photo

Seems like this was done on purpose by SI Ferry crews calling out sick in the masses to make a point (only guessing). Surprised that the SI Ferry captains only get paid 70K a year according to an article I read. 70K a year to operate those big ass boats though the congested NY Harbor? Seems like they are underpaid. I always thought SI Ferry captain was a six figure gig.

Anyway, here's the article shedding some light on the situation.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/8/3/23291235/staten-island-ferry-eric-adams

Edited by trainfan22

6 hours ago, VIP said:

Looks like the (Q) has most of the R68/68A’s as of late. Let’s see what happens when the G.O. Ends

CIY figured probabaly that having the 120 R68s not used on the (B) make more sense on the (Q) than on the (N) due to the rollsign changing issues at Ditmars Blvd, meaning that the (N) will be forced to have all R46s, which will be a nightmare in operations because of how poorly those cars are running

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

CIY figured probabaly that having the 120 R68s not used on the (B) make more sense on the (Q) than on the (N) due to the rollsign changing issues at Ditmars Blvd, meaning that the (N) will be forced to have all R46s, which will be a nightmare in operations because of how poorly those cars are running

During the weekends, there are a few 68/As that made its run on the (N) from the (W) pool. The sorting happens Friday night that they plan to have the (W) weekend layups to at least 90% that are R46s. Although, the (W) does see at least 2-3 R68/As weekday. 1 can be for layup spare in case. Combined to at least 4 R68/As for the (N) weekends. 

On 8/3/2022 at 1:08 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Let’s not forget that R68 or 68A in (A) PM rush service.