SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 8/18/2022 at 1:54 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Riding the (E) and (F) towards Jamaica after  midnight is brutal. Took over an hour to get from 34th street to Forest Hills because of late night track work. They should have some cross honoring system with the LIRR overnights when this mess goes on because this for real doubles and sometimes even triples commute times because of missed bus connections. 

This is how I've felt about taking the (F) on weekends to/from Queens or Manhattan for years.... Brutal... Complete toss up... Never know wth it's going to do routing-wise/course-wise.... Most of my uses on the (F) on weekends are within Brooklyn nowadays...

Like @R32 3838 said, you're better off taking the Q60 overnights... Interesting that you mention cross honoring with the LIRR - Even more interesting that whenever there's some major (enough a) f**k up on the LIRR between Jamaica & Penn, cross honoring with the subway goes into effect... You never see that happen the other way around (cross honoring with the LIRR when something major (enough) goes awry with the QB line).....

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I have a question. When the (2)(5) used Redbirds (before the R142s came), did they switch trains at Flatbush like they do now with the 142s? I recall someone saying that they had enough crews to quickly switch signs at Astoria for the (N)(W) (before the R160s came), but then I recently came across a comment from someone saying that they didn't do this at Flatbush. I was too young when the Redbirds were still in service, and I've never really been to Astoria (nor was I old enough to even notice) to confirm this. So I just want some clarity from people who know for sure what went down during these times.

In the PM rush we had C/Rs working OT at the ’ Bush who changed the north destination signs from Dyre to 241st Street for trains scheduled to head up to WPR. Back then the (2) and the (5) had separate fleets of Redbirds and didn’t swap them at Flatbush Avenue. We’re talking mid to late 80’s time frame. Hope this helps. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

In the PM rush we had C/Rs working OT at the ’ Bush who changed the north destination signs from Dyre to 241st Street for trains scheduled to head up to WPR. Back then the (2) and the (5) had separate fleets of Redbirds and didn’t swap them at Flatbush Avenue. We’re talking mid to late 80’s time frame. Hope this helps. Carry on.

Thanks for the response.

So basically, the only changes made back then were the select rush-hour (5)s that went to 241st Street (which has since been cut back to Nereid Avenue).

That's pretty interesting; it kinda makes you wonder what'll happen when the R142s leave the (2)(5) (either thru retirement or displacement). Many predictions, including my own, call for the R262s going to the (2)(5). This would likely mean the temporary suspension of fleet swapping between both lines until all crews are properly trained and qualified for the next fleet (in this case the 262s).

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

This redbird at Flatbush disscussion reminds me of the dual (2) via 7th Ave/ (5) via Lex roll on the Redbirds rollsigns. I was told these rollsigns were put in due to some kind of Lenox reconstruction project in the late 90s.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFc0EbMNi127gf5IQOq4f

I wonder why the train is white outside while the doors are red inside (which is how you know it's a Redbird)?

8 minutes ago, KingsbridgeKid2532 said:

MTA repainted some cars white back in the early 80's before making them redbirds later

There Was Once a Fleet of White Subway Cars in NYC - Untapped New York (untappedcities.com)

Yeah, I was aware of that. Maybe they did the doors first then the carbodies later during GOH. I know the R29s were red when delivered, then the R26,R28,R33,R36 all became red as well during GOH. I would have to know when the photo was taken, but it definitely looks post-GOH. They may have briefly painted the car (pictured above) white after it was already GOH'ed. They probably ran out of red paint at that point, and decided to temporarily settle for white.

58 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I wonder why the train is white outside while the doors are red inside (which is how you know it's a Redbird)?

That is one of the Redbirds saved for the Transit Museum. Serveral pairs of Redbird cars were saved for the museum and some of them were repainted into schemes they had prior to GOH. 

That car in the photo is actually painted Sliver (with a blue stripe not seen in the photo) but the paint faded a bit.

Edited by trainfan22

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That is one of the Redbirds saved for the Transit Museum. Serveral pairs of Redbird cars were saved for the museum and some of them were repainted into schemes they had prior to GOH. 

Oh, okay. Well that closes down these theories then.

11 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yeah, I was aware of that. Maybe they did the doors first then the carbodies later during GOH. I know the R29s were red when delivered, then the R26,R28,R33,R36 all became red as well during GOH. I would have to know when the photo was taken, but it definitely looks post-GOH. They may have briefly painted the car (pictured above) white after it was already GOH'ed. They probably ran out of red paint at that point, and decided to temporarily settle for white.

Thanks for the info.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:57 AM, R32 3838 said:

I'm used to it, This is why it's better to take the Q60 at night. But nothing is worse than missing the (R) train at 9pm at night and waiting between 15 to 30 mins.

Or when the E/F succumb to flagging just before 75th Avenue, causing people to miss the connecting Q37 at Kew Gardens by just seconds... And the kicker is that runs go missing on that line quite often...

4 hours ago, Prospect said:

Or when the E/F succumb to flagging just before 75th Avenue, causing people to miss the connecting Q37 at Kew Gardens by just seconds... And the kicker is that runs go missing on that line quite often...

I’ve always found it odd why bus routes that originate at far-end train stations don’t wait for the train to arrive so that people can transfer more smoothly from the train to the bus. I understand that in some terminals, there are multiple lines that end at the station, but let’s say it’s a one-line terminal, I think buses that originate at said train stop can wait for 5 minutes post-train arrival, (this really applies to late nights where bus and subway service is sporadic

On 8/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, B35 via Church said:

This is how I've felt about taking the (F) on weekends to/from Queens or Manhattan for years.... Brutal... Complete toss up... Never know wth it's going to do routing-wise/course-wise.... Most of my uses on the (F) on weekends are within Brooklyn nowadays...

Like @R32 3838 said, you're better off taking the Q60 overnights... Interesting that you mention cross honoring with the LIRR - Even more interesting that whenever there's some major (enough a) f**k up on the LIRR between Jamaica & Penn, cross honoring with the subway goes into effect... You never see that happen the other way around (cross honoring with the LIRR when something major (enough) goes awry with the QB line).....

They do cross honor rides but that is usually for usual more extreme cases like that G.O a few years back when the (E) and (F) were terminated at Forest Hills or last fall when the whole line was shut down in Queens due to some type of signal failure. 

However they never seem to do it for the late night G.O’s and it’s stinks because the LIRR mirrors the Queens Blvd Express for the most part. That’s when service is brutal and I can’t help but think about those who commute from the city at 12/1am for example but then need to take the n6 bus into Nassau. The MTA needs to do better that is all I say or else more people will drive, use Uber, bike and etc and I don’t blame them. It is bad enough the (E) become a hotel at night and we just have to sit and deal with them folks on a slow commute back home. 

9 hours ago, Prospect said:

I always miss my bus connection to the Q64 so at that time of night so I always end up having to wait literally 27-29 mins because I always get to Forest Hills the same time the bus leaves. The sad thing is that they expect more people to use public transportation but honestly who wants to deal with potentially having your commute extended by an hour because of construction. This is why people have been finding alternate means of transportation.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They do cross honor rides but that is usually for usual more extreme cases like that G.O a few years back when the (E) and (F) were terminated at Forest Hills or last fall when the whole line was shut down in Queens due to some type of signal failure. 

However they never seem to do it for the late night G.O’s and it’s stinks because the LIRR mirrors the Queens Blvd Express for the most part. That’s when service is brutal and I can’t help but think about those who commute from the city at 12/1am for example but then need to take the n6 bus into Nassau. The MTA needs to do better that is all I say or else more people will drive, use Uber, bike and etc and I don’t blame them. It is bad enough the (E) become a hotel at night and we just have to sit and deal with them folks on a slow commute back home. 

I always miss my bus connection to the Q64 so at that time of night so I always end up having to wait literally 27-29 mins because I always get to Forest Hills the same time the bus leaves. The sad thing is that they expect more people to use public transportation but honestly who wants to deal with potentially having your commute extended by an hour because of construction. This is why people have been finding alternate means of transportation.

Wow the (E)(F) still run like that....You would think by now they would have fixed the overnight slowdowns..I get u have to do the neccesary work but dam its been like this for like 15 years and with the new cars and signals nothing got better over there it seems...I been stop taken both (E)(F)whenever i have to go to jamaica that time of night...I either take lirr from Penn station for the extra few bucks or use the (A)or(L) to the (J)

46 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow the (E)(F) still run like that....You would think by now they would have fixed the overnight slowdowns..I get u have to do the neccesary work but dam its been like this for like 15 years and with the new cars and signals nothing got better over there it seems...I been stop taken both (E)(F)whenever i have to go to jamaica that time of night...I either take lirr from Penn station for the extra few bucks or use the (A)or(L) to the (J)

Luckily I can take the (7) coming from the city and take it to Main Street for a bus but for the nights where the (7) is cut back to Queensboro Plaza and Queens Blvd is also under construction it’s rough to say the least lol. 
I’ve been spoiling myself way too much with the LIRR but it’s nice that they expanded the city ticket to the weekdays which could potentially be part of the reason why LIRR ridership bounced back much quicker than the subway and bus. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Luckily I can take the (7) coming from the city and take it to Main Street for a bus but for the nights where the (7) is cut back to Queensboro Plaza and Queens Blvd is also under construction it’s rough to say the least lol. 
I’ve been spoiling myself way too much with the LIRR but it’s nice that they expanded the city ticket to the weekdays which could potentially be part of the reason why LIRR ridership bounced back much quicker than the subway and bus. 

Facts....I can remember once instance when i was pushing for that 200am Q111 from parson from midtown right after a movie...Movie ended around 1250am...Their was a 1:10 next to jamaica and the next (E)5 mins before that...Not only did we beat that (E) by like 25 or more mins...Whoever was the motorman that  night man i wish i can always get...This guy was flying got us to jamaica in like 25 mins with the stop at woodside...My point is sometimes the extra few dollars spent on lirr vs subway might be worth it most of the time

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Facts....I can remember once instance when i was pushing for that 200am Q111 from parson from midtown right after a movie...Movie ended around 1250am...Their was a 1:10 next to jamaica and the next (E)5 mins before that...Not only did we beat that (E) by like 25 or more mins...Whoever was the motorman that  night man i wish i can always get...This guy was flying got us to jamaica in like 25 mins with the stop at woodside...My point is sometimes the extra few dollars spent on lirr vs subway might be worth it most of the time

17 to 24 minutes (depending on the train schedule) is the norm for LIRR between Penn and Jamaica. That LIRR engineer wasn't special lol, most if not all LIRR engineers can operate a train between those two points in that time period.

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

17 to 24 minutes (depending on the train schedule) is the norm for LIRR between Penn and Jamaica. That LIRR engineer wasn't special lol, most if not all LIRR engineers can operate a train between those two points in that time period.

Well he was special to me....lol....I rarely took LIRR out of penn when i did  Some of those crawled to jamaica...Dont know if was cause of train traffic, workers or whatever....

53 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There was an incident earlier which chocked out the QBL, some kid's arm basically got ripped off by the train. There's conflicting reports on the age though, I've seen 11 and I've seen 15.

https://abc7ny.com/severed-arm-teen-struck-subway-by-train/12178003/

15 the kid was surfing 

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There was an incident earlier which chocked out the QBL, some kid's arm basically got ripped off by the train. There's conflicting reports on the age though, I've seen 11 and I've seen 15.

https://abc7ny.com/severed-arm-teen-struck-subway-by-train/12178003/

16 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

15 the kid was surfing 

These kid nowadays are just insane...With the shootings in most boros,stabbings,knocking out/Robbing the elderly and now with the rise of train surfing...Just crazy in this city right now