SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

14 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

They did add ESA, but in a really tacky fashion (they added LIRR at GCT but didn't add the rail line going across the East River at 63 St)

Also yeah the map def needs to go thru a revamp. Personally I prefer the original version of the map published in the 80s and early 90s.

image.png

Speaking of the subway map, I just noticed today they added "mini" (D) and (N) roll signs to indicate DeKalb, which I honestly think makes it more confusing; people might think it's some sort of "special" (D)(N) stop.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Speaking of the subway map, I just noticed today they added "mini" (D) and (N) roll signs to indicate DeKalb, which I honestly think makes it more confusing; people might think it's some sort of "special" (D)(N) stop.

I'd just think it's a way to indicate that the two trains skip that station. Don't think it'd be confusing considering every other station has both station and the lines of the stations beneath. Perhaps a "(D)(N) Don't Stop Here Weekdays" would work but not sure how that'd fit on the map. 

6 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

I'd just think it's a way to indicate that the two trains skip that station. Don't think it'd be confusing considering every other station has both station and the lines of the stations beneath. Perhaps a "(D)(N) Don't Stop Here Weekdays" would work but not sure how that'd fit on the map. 

I think just having the visual excursion would be enough for a normal person to check what trains actually stop at DeKalb Av.

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I honestly feel like that excuse is bull. Concourse is massive enough that they can maintain 3 different types of fleets.

Concourse May have the storage tracks necessary but not shop tracks. There are only 3 shop tracks in Concourse Yard, which is just right for one service, compared to Coney Island Yard that has 7 shop tracks to service 3 routes (~2 for the (B), ~ 2 for the (Q) and ~ 3 for the (N)(W))

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Concourse May have the storage tracks necessary but not shop tracks. There are only 3 shop tracks in Concourse Yard, which is just right for one service, compared to Coney Island Yard that has 7 shop tracks to service 3 routes (~2 for the (B), ~ 2 for the (Q) and ~ 3 for the (N)(W))

(N) and (W) are considered one.

I’m on a Broad St bound J train right now. It pulled into broadway junction on the express track , continued to stop at Chauncey St and then went express to Myrtle-Bway , anyone know why this would happen ?

also , we’re flying through all the other stops, express service along the Brklyn-Bway stretch seems pretty nice too

What's the point of the 2 center tracks (currently unused) heading Southbound from Brooklyn Bridge City Hall on the (J)(Z)? The Vanshnookenraggen track map says they both go under the outer 2 tracks, converge into a single track, and just abruptly end before Fulton St which seems weird, especially since that's not usually how provisions are built. Any idea why this is?

7 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

What's the point of the 2 center tracks (currently unused) heading Southbound from Brooklyn Bridge City Hall on the (J)(Z)? The Vanshnookenraggen track map says they both go under the outer 2 tracks, converge into a single track, and just abruptly end before Fulton St which seems weird, especially since that's not usually how provisions are built. Any idea why this is?

The two center tracks I believe are used to terminate trains at Chambers when either the (J) or (M67) terminate there. 

One underrated negative of the NYC subway is the relative lack of subway stops along waterfronts (where a lot of development has been happenning the past 2 decades).

This is for several reasons. Firstly, when the subway was first built a lot of these waterfronts were very inustrial ports and stuff and so didn't demand a subway station, infact in many ways waterfronts were seen as undesirable for future development. Secondly, the technology back then would've made deep-level stations near the edge of land annoying to build (rmbr, escalators and elevators were both rarities too). Finally, in Manhattan, so much emphasis was put on getting people too and from the CBD (which at the time was much smaller), so far east and west side lines were always lower priority.

What we're left with today is a lot of the far east and west sides of Manhattan being transit deserts, or at least quite an annoying walk to the train considering the density. Growing communities along the water like Williamsburg and Hunters Pointe have sub-optimal transit access as well. Looking into infill stations or perhaps even whole new lines could be really good for city development.

Fortunately, recent projects like 63rd St Tunnel, 7 train extension, and SAS have helped in some areas.

I still think MTA should consider the following though:

-A full SAS in some form (obv)

-10th Av and 1rst Av infill stations on (7), plus an extension south to 23rd, or even further.

-10th Av subway, possibly via an extension of the (L) 

-Infill (L) station at Kent Av

-An infill station at Wythe Av on the (J)(M)(Z) in Brooklyn, and possibly even between Lewis and Pitt St on the Manhattan side

-Perhaps some sort of crosstown running along the Brooklyn Queens waterfront, picking up transit deserts from Red Hook to Astoria.

Some of these projects are obv more realistic/feasible.

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ

35 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

One underrated negative of the NYC subway is the relative lack of subway stops along waterfronts (where a lot of development has been happenning the past 2 decades).

This is for several reasons. Firstly, when the subway was first built a lot of these waterfronts were very inustrial ports and stuff and so didn't demand a subway station, infact in many ways waterfronts were seen as undesirable for future development. Secondly, the technology back then would've made deep-level stations near the edge of land annoying to build (rmbr, escalators and elevators were both rarities too). Finally, in Manhattan, so much emphasis was put on getting people too and from the CBD (which at the time was much smaller), so far east and west side lines were always lower priority.

What we're left with today is a lot of the far east and west sides of Manhattan being transit deserts, or at least quite an annoying walk to the train considering the density. Growing communities along the water like Williamsburg and Hunters Pointe have sub-optimal transit access as well. Looking into infill stations or perhaps even whole new lines could be really good for city development.

Fortunately, recent projects like 63rd St Tunnel, 7 train extension, and SAS have helped in some areas.

-10th Av and 1rst Av infill stations on (7), plus an extension south to 23rd, or even further.

-An infill station at Wythe Av on the (J)(M)(Z) in Brooklyn, and possibly even between Lewis and Pitt St on the Manhattan side

-Perhaps some sort of crosstown running along the Brooklyn Queens waterfront, picking up transit deserts from Red Hook to Astoria.

The (7) 10th Avenue station could become a reality, lots of people in the area agree for a 10th ave station

38 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

The (7) 10th Avenue station could become a reality, lots of people in the area agree for a 10th ave station

Well it was originally supposed to be part of the (7) train extension but was cut due to budget concerns; still the MTA dug the tunnel in a way so a station could be added later. Given all the development in that area, perhaps there's a way to get private developers to pitch in a bit in exchange for the station? Knowing the MTA, it'd prolly be at least a billion in today's money which sucks.

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

R46 5901 and the other three cars in its set now have LED lighting, first time seeing Pikin R46s refitted with these lights.

IIRC those 46s have been like that since February.

On that note, a 4 car Concourse 68 set (2560-63) has received LED lighting as well.

And then of course we have the 4 or 5 68/As based out of Coney that have the lighting upgrades too.

16 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The MTA might be wary about a 1st Ave infill station on the (7) for security reasons considering it's right next to the UN headquarters. If this was considered, perhaps a station a little bit west might be ideal, perhaps somewhere between 2nd or 3rd Avenue (and to allow an easy transfer to the SAS rather than a long connection to Grand Central-42nd St).

7 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

The MTA might be wary about a 1st Ave infill station on the (7) for security reasons considering it's right next to the UN headquarters. If this was considered, perhaps a station a little bit west might be ideal, perhaps somewhere between 2nd or 3rd Avenue (and to allow an easy transfer to the SAS rather than a long connection to Grand Central-42nd St).

If you were to do a 1st Avenue infill station, you could maybe do it at 60th Street for the (N)(R)(W) OR 63rd Street (which is already deep) for the (F).  Such then could be done between 1st and York Avenues. 

18 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Early in my career I worked on work trains and I remember working in the Steinway tube. I definitely agree with your first point about the location. My point is about the depth of the tunnel itself. I’ve actually walked from the point under First Avenue to Grand Central tower to communicate with the Jay Street Command Center. My recollection is that there was only a platform about two or three car lengths between the downward and upward slopes of the trackage making station construction impossible. My second point is that the neighborhood damn sure wouldn’t want any station there and would definitely sue to have it blocked. My opinion is that this would be a terrible waste of money. Look at residents and their backgrounds and you’ll understand what I’m talking about. Carry on.

22 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

possibly even between Lewis and Pitt St on the Manhattan side

please tell me you're kidding? You are kidding, right...? RIGHT?

Have you ever actually ridden across the Williamsburg Bridge? have you ever watched a video of a train crossing the bridge? That area, the track is level with the road. and they're actually separate structures. the road ramps and the pedestrian walkway are independent of the tracks on the bridge approaches. The Willy B is rather unique as a large suspension bridge where only the actual main span between the towers is suspended. the approaches are not connected to the cables, they're on support pillars below. 

21 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

please tell me you're kidding? You are kidding, right...? RIGHT?

Have you ever actually ridden across the Williamsburg Bridge? have you ever watched a video of a train crossing the bridge? That area, the track is level with the road. and they're actually separate structures. the road ramps and the pedestrian walkway are independent of the tracks on the bridge approaches. The Willy B is rather unique as a large suspension bridge where only the actual main span between the towers is suspended. the approaches are not connected to the cables, they're on support pillars below. 

Sure it'd be logistically complicated, and may not even be possible, but in an ideal world there should be a station there cause it's sort of a transit desert. I've ridden the Williamsburg bridge many times before so I understand it may a modification to the ROW which may be too disruptive (similar to the feared (L) train shutdown). The easiest way would just be to knock out a lane of traffic on either side to use for the platform, but that would obv face backlash.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Given all the development in that area, perhaps there's a way to get private developers to pitch in a bit in exchange for the station? Knowing the MTA, it'd prolly be at least a billion in today's money which sucks.

Given all the development in the area, doesn’t that already seal the fate of the station? Those buildings are going to go up faster than the city can say “stop.” Those forever studies and committee meetings guarantee it.

It’s going to be like the intersection of 23 Street and 44 Drive in Queens (Court Square station). The (E)(M) platforms are right under the (7) platforms, but the buildings on the corners went up and nobody stopped to add a provision for a connection straight down. If you’re on the wrong end of the (7), have fun walking all the way down the length of the platform, then two-thirds of the length of the (G) platform, and finally another corridor as long as the (G) platform just to get to the (E)(M). You’d walk about a third of a mile (0.33 mi) just to descend a hundred feet from the spot you were standing on for a transfer. That transfer between Broadway and 8 Avenue at Times Square–42 Street is a fifth of a mile (0.20 mi).

Blue lights are being tested in the system to keep commuters off the tracks and for safety. One is found at 57 St on the (F) with W.4 St being planned for the lights. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/mta-testing-new-safety-measures-like-blue-lighting-to-keep-people-off-tracks/

Edited by Calvin