SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

I wonder how many stations have duplicate names?

• 7 Av (B)(Q), 7 Av (F)<F>(G) and 7 Av-53 St (B)(D)(E) 
  • 8 Av (N) and 14 St-8 Av (A)(C)(E)(L) 
  • 8 St-NYU (R)(W) and West 8 St-NYA (F)(Q) 
  • 14 St (1)(2)(3), 14 St-Union Square (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R)(W), 14 St-6 Av (F)(M)(L), 14 St-8 Av (A)(C)(E)(L) 
  • 18 Av (D), (F), and (N) 
  • 20 Av (D) and (N) 
  • 21 St-Queensbridge (F) and 21 St (G)
  • 23 St (1), (6)(C)(E), (F)(M), and (R)(W) 
  • 28 St (1), (6), and (R)(W) 
  • 33 St (6) and (7) 
  • 34 St-Herald Square (B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W), 34 St-Hudson Yards (7), 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E) 

There's a lot more, but I think you get the gist. I would continue, but I can't in this subforum because of the emote limit in here.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Is it technically considered fare evasion if I use my student metro card for a trip that doesn't involve school? You get 3 swipes on all weekdays even if there isn't actually school that day, but on weekends it doesn't work suggesting the intention of the card is only for getting to and from school or school related activities, not just providing students free metro cards for any trips

Well as a student metro card user myself, I don’t think you’re fare evading, you’re still basically paying but without you getting money out your pockets, you don’t need to go to school to use it, I’ve been skipping school like that, I just ride the train and never show up to school sometimes

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:
  • 7 Av (B)(Q), 7 Av (F)<F>(G) and 7 Av-53 St (B)(D)(E) 
  • 8 Av (N) and 14 St-8 Av (A)(C)(E)(L) 
  • 8 St-NYU (R)(W) and West 8 St-NYA (F)(Q) 
  • 14 St (1)(2)(3), 14 St-Union Square (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R)(W), 14 St-6 Av (F)(M)(L), 14 St-8 Av (A)(C)(E)(L) 
  • 18 Av (D), (F), and (N) 
  • 20 Av (D) and (N) 
  • 21 St-Queensbridge (F) and 21 St (G)
  • 23 St (1), (6)(C)(E), (F)(M), and (R)(W) 
  • 28 St (1), (6), and (R)(W) 
  • 33 St (6) and (7) 
  • 34 St-Herald Square (B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W), 34 St-Hudson Yards (7), 34 St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E) 

There's a lot more, but I think you get the gist. I would continue, but I can't in this subforum because of the emote limit in here.

I’m well known of 46th street (7)(M)(R)  and woodhaven blvd (M) R and J 

4 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:
1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

I’m well known of 46th street (7)(M)(R)  and woodhaven blvd (M) R and J 

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/changes-are-coming-to-the-g-j-and-m-trains-this-summer-050823?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&cid=~newyork~natsoc~facebook~echobox&fbclid=IwAR1dhvkeV_2ZPc30MDIy49CZoYVdp5kCKDko5Grh5n51aGqgI6O5obeoXzM#Echobox=1683561219

Headway changes are coming. For now, when it comes to the summer pick, starting in July, weekend service will increase more trains on the (J)(M) and (G) lines. (instead of 10, it'll be down to 8 minutes like the (Q) with no service changes). This will also the (C) and (N)(R) lines soon. Next summer though, the (5) will be 10 minutes during the weekends, it's usually 12-15 minutes. 

The sky must be falling.

4 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The MTA really needs to run more (G) trains around 2:30-5pm. Even if the line is generally lower demand, a TON of students use it to get to school and unlike most jobs that get out around 5-6, school finishes around 2-4 for most. I sometimes take the (G) after school and it is always PACKED, with students being over half of passengers. However, whenever I take the (G) during actual rush-hours or on the weekends, it's usually fine.

Not only are there a lot of schools along the (G) train corridor, but a ton of students live in Queens but go to school in Brooklyn and vice-versa, unlike regular adults whose places of work are mostly concentrated in Manhattan. Also a single school releasing students can dump hundreds into a station at once, so imagine that for several stations in a row on the 5-car (G) train only running every 10 minutes.

Anecdotal, but at my current HS I'd estimate at least 40% of kids come from Queens and use the (G) as a regular part of their commute.

One thing I always find weird about the (G) is it honestly doesn't empty out a ton once it merges with the (F) on the Culver line. The (G) is mainly seen as the Brooklyn-Queens crosstown but Culver is just one arbitrary branch of the greater subway; I wonder if a disproportionate amount of folks along the Culver line work in Queens?

I see what you're saying about needing more (G) trains out within the time period you said, and I feel your pain about being on a packed train. I just do not know if it is possible for the (NYCT) to do something now about any missing intervals for the (G) train during the aforementioned time period you mentioned. The best thing that could be done is to have it use eight 60ft cars again like it used to do then - even after it began to use a dedicated 46 fleet that used six 75ft cars. Those 60ft cars can come from East New York or the 207 Street Overhaul Shop.

The only reason why it is fine during the actual rush hours or the weekends is because the (G) train isn't really utilized to it's capacity as the Brooklyn Queens Crosstown, since most passengers would use it to get to the (E) train, the (M) train or the (7) train including the (L) train for Manhattan service, including the (A) train, the (C) train, the (F) train and the (R) train also for Manhattan service.

It was definitely supposed to touch Manhattan as well, but it never went there as a result of other lines that were prioritized over it. This is part of why the first version of the (H) train was actually a Court Street-Hoyt Schermerhorn shuttle when it was supposed to be the Fulton Local service from Court Street to Euclid Avenue with the expectation that all service via the Cranberry Street tunnel from Manhattan was going to be the Fulton Express. Yet a different service plan that had all trains serving the Fulton Local was implemented which meant it later stopped running on June 1, 1946 due to how close Court Street and Hoyt Schermerhorn are.

8 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I see what you're saying about needing more (G) trains out within the time period you said, and I feel your pain about being on a packed train. I just do not know if it is possible for the (NYCT) to do something now about any missing intervals for the (G) train during the aforementioned time period you mentioned. The best thing that could be done is to have it use eight 60ft cars again like it used to do then - even after it began to use a dedicated 46 fleet that used six 75ft cars. Those 60ft cars can come from East New York or the 207 Street Overhaul Shop.

The only reason why it is fine during the actual rush hours or the weekends is because the (G) train isn't really utilized to it's capacity as the Brooklyn Queens Crosstown, since most passengers would use it to get to the (E) train, the (M) train or the (7) train including the (L) train for Manhattan service, including the (A) train, the (C) train, the (F) train and the (R) train also for Manhattan service.

It was definitely supposed to touch Manhattan as well, but it never went there as a result of other lines that were prioritized over it. This is part of why the first version of the (H) train was actually a Court Street-Hoyt Schermerhorn shuttle when it was supposed to be the Fulton Local service from Court Street to Euclid Avenue with the expectation that all service via the Cranberry Street tunnel from Manhattan was going to be the Fulton Express. Yet a different service plan that had all trains serving the Fulton Local was implemented which meant it later stopped running on June 1, 1946 due to how close Court Street and Hoyt Schermerhorn are.

Interesting insight, though I don't think think Crosstown was ever meant to connect with Manhattan, but the Fulton local definitely was and would've just been another valuable connection that may make the (G) higher demand. Court Square especially is a HUGE transfer point and oftentimes I'd argue half ot the people on a Queens bound (G) train are going to Court Square by the time you get past Hoyt-Schemerhorn.

More R46s out of Pitkin Yard (also with 207 St as the (C) uses their trains) have the upgraded lighting. Seen 5886-5889, 6090-6093 with those changes. Although, they still have the usual straight line standing poles and small black silicone by the sliding doors. Some cars Coney Island (also ex. Jamaica) have floor mats, yellow loopcons. 

Edited by Calvin

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

More R46s out of Pitkin Yard (also with 207 St as the (C) uses their trains) have the upgraded lighting. Seen 5886-5889, 6090-6093 with those changes. Although, they stll have the usual straight line standing poles and small black silicone by the sliding doors. Some cars Coney Island (also ex. Jamaica) have floor mats, yellow loopcons. 

I've also noticed the upgraded lighting. You can see it very clearly even when your train whizzes by another. For the most part though, I'm not expecting the 46's to change much between now and retirement

21 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Well as a student metro card user myself, I don’t think you’re fare evading, you’re still basically paying but without you getting money out your pockets, you don’t need to go to school to use it, I’ve been skipping school like that, I just ride the train and never show up to school sometimes

Lol I sometimes do smtg simillar when I leave school, I just chill on the subway for a bit and my parents start complaining. Can't skip school cause courses move too fast and don't wanna get rescinded from college.

March MDBF statistics are out.

Nothing too notable.
R179s takes a very tiny drop.

R68As continue to plummet. They're officially in 5-digit territory whereas the R68s are doing better, and are going up.

R46s holding steady.

R143s continue to go up in reliability.

R160s slightly dropped again. From what I've been told, the drops are largely because of ENY's R160 fleet.

R142s are going down, while the R142As are going up. A notable change from last year, as the R142As were going down, and the R142s were going up.

R62s are rebounding a little bit, R62As went down in February but are holding steady for march.

Both R188 fleets are going up.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

That statement at the end is exactly what the MTA is trying to avoid in the original/current plans, especially for Roosevelt Island. Other than the tramway, the sole subway station is the only other public mode of transport to/from Manhattan (the only bus in Roosevelt Island goes to/from Queens). Yes, the MTA should find other means of shortening/simplifying the work period for 63rd Street if necessary but not at the expense of removing the better of two mode of public transport from Roosevelt Island.

Also, I really don't think straight out ripping (M) from QBL 24/7 and not altering (E)(F)(R) somewhat to cover the loss of (M) on weekdays would sit well for the QBL riders, especially in weekday rush hours.

They've managed in the mess when QBL had CBTC problems and there was no (M), I'm sure it will be fine.

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

March MDBF statistics are out.

Nothing too notable.
R179s takes a very tiny drop.

R68As continue to plummet. They're officially in 5-digit territory whereas the R68s are doing better, and are going up.

R46s holding steady.

R143s continue to go up in reliability.

R160s slightly dropped again. From what I've been told, the drops are largely because of ENY's R160 fleet.

R142s are going down, while the R142As are going up. A notable change from last year, as the R142As were going down, and the R142s were going up.

R62s are rebounding a little bit, R62As went down in February but are holding steady for march.

Both R188 fleets are going up.

That's mainly because they get tagged a lot. So they get taken OOS.

Sutter Ave on the (L) is currently being bypassed due to an police investigation, however nobody told the ppl waiting on the Manhattan bound platform. So they are standing there confused as to why all the trains are bypassing the station.

Edited by trainfan22

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Sutter Ave on the (L) is currently being bypassed due to an police investigation, however nobody told the ppl waiting on the Manhattan bound platform. So they are standing there confused as to why all the trains are bypassing the station.

I was waiting at Bedford Park for a good 20 minutes while downtown (4) trains were skipping due to an issue, and I kid you not, 12 trains passed by and the platform was crowded and no one was paying attention to the station announcements or the arrival boards.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

They've had quite a bit of actual breakdowns lately, not just circumstanal scenarios such as this one.

Yeah, ENY uses the R160s more so i can see why. Haven't been on the (J) in awhile but the last time i was on it the R160s were being used on it more than the R179s.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I was waiting at Bedford Park for a good 20 minutes while downtown (4) trains were skipping due to an issue, and I kid you not, 12 trains passed by and the platform was crowded and no one was paying attention to the station announcements or the arrival boards.

12?! Even for the (4) that’s shocking, in a 20 minute span? Be lucky you’d see 1 (4).

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Assuming the (5) was also running, how is 12 train sin 20 minutes even possible on the (4).

On 5/8/2023 at 4:45 PM, Calvin said:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/changes-are-coming-to-the-g-j-and-m-trains-this-summer-050823?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&cid=~newyork~natsoc~facebook~echobox&fbclid=IwAR1dhvkeV_2ZPc30MDIy49CZoYVdp5kCKDko5Grh5n51aGqgI6O5obeoXzM#Echobox=1683561219

Headway changes are coming. For now, when it comes to the summer pick, starting in July, weekend service will increase more trains on the (J)(M) and (G) lines. (instead of 10, it'll be down to 8 minutes like the (Q) with no service changes). This will also the (C) and (N)(R) lines soon. Next summer though, the (5) will be 10 minutes during the weekends, it's usually 12-15 minutes. 

(G) as I've said before tends to be consistently ridden during non-rush hours so I think that's really good.

(J) and (M) I don't have enough experience with but they go through some growing parts of Brooklyn. In an ideal world, I'd just have the (M) run it's full route because both 6th Av and Queens Blvd lcl can be miserable on the weekends, though hopefully increasing (R) will help with QBLVD.

Increasing weekend service on the (1) and (6) is also a really good thing imo cause they don't interline with other lines so for certain riders there aren't really alternatives if the wait starts to become excessive. I also find the weekend (6) to be quite crowded sometimes.

I think the (G) in the future will be 10 cars just for flexibility since it can share the fleet with Jamaica Yard. Having it 8 cars would cause Jamaica to have an Oddball fleet. 

If Congestion pricing happens within a year or two, I think the (J) would be extended via 4th ave to 9th ave or Bay ridge (I think Bay ridge would be the best bet) It makes more sense to do that since we will have a surplus of 8 car trains and the Staten Island residents who use the S79 SBS, S53 and etc. They can also Make a shuttle route That could run from Canal St (abandoned side) to Bay Ridge 95th st as well if a (J) extension is too much.

Also the (G) need to return to queens on weekends and nights to help the (R) on weekends.

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I think the (G) in the future will be 10 cars just for flexibility since it can share the fleet with Jamaica Yard. Having it 8 cars would cause Jamaica to have an Oddball fleet. 

If Congestion pricing happens within a year or two, I think the (J) would be extended via 4th ave to 9th ave or Bay ridge (I think Bay ridge would be the best bet) It makes more sense to do that since we will have a surplus of 8 car trains and the Staten Island residents who use the S79 SBS, S53 and etc. They can also Make a shuttle route That could run from Canal St (abandoned side) to Bay Ridge 95th st as well if a (J) extension is too much.

Also the (G) need to return to queens on weekends and nights to help the (R) on weekends.

I agree with (G) service via the Queens Blvd line, it’ll help reduce waiting time 

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

As long as these G.O’s are taking place along Queens Blvd over the weekend, I don’t think we will see the (G) return like the good old days. Between 2007-2010 the (G) barely ran to and from Forest Hills except for a handful of times. Even past 2010 how many times has the (E)(F) and (R) ran normal over the weekend? The (M) was even quietly cut after 8:30pm from Forest Hills and service ends to Forest Hills by 10pm so 2 hours were cut. I could be wrong but I think with all the modern tech things have to be inspected more. This weekend there is a G.O’s taking place along Queens Blvd and after this one finishes they immediately jump to doing some other work. The most I think we will see is a slight increase in (R) service.

I can’t see the (J) getting extended because of length the route. 4th Aves issues could be solved if the (R) ran more frequently. Some trains should start and end at South Ferry on the weekend and run to Bay Ridge.