SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Adding on to my previous post on what if John Hylan had never been fired from the BMT, I think I have a good idea of what may have happened. (This is based on BMT/IRT plans, they most definitely would have expanded beyond this)

The BMT would have built the 8th Avenue line, running from 181st Street (room for extension) to Canal St, then turning east to connect with the provisions at the Broadway line station.

The Broadway express tracks would have connected with 8th Avenue and run up Central Park West.

8th Avenue expresses would have run from 181st St to Brooklyn via the Manhattan Bridge.

8th Avenue locals would have run from 155th St to the World Trade Center. The station may have been directly north of the Cortlandt St (R)(W) station just as it is on the (E) train.

Broadway expresses would run from 181st St to the Fulton St el through the lower level of City Hall station and the proposed Ashland Place connection. Some may have operated to the Manhattan Bridge along with the 8th avenue line.

Broadway locals would operate normally from Queensboro Plaza (maybe to a Queens Boulevard line)

The world will never know who would have operated the 6th Avenue line, or if it would have become a "Line That Almost Never Was" like 2nd Avenue. If it were the IRT/BMT the north end would have connected to Astoria/Flushing (remember they had joint service, and another trunk line could be the leverage they needed for full service). Southern end might connect to a Smith St-Culver line which was proposed before Hylan came around or to the Myrtle/Lexington lines in Brooklyn

2nd Avenue would probably be an IRT line from the 3rd avenue el, WPR line, or Pelham line to some Lafayette avenue line or Eastern Parkway (if it could fit). Were it a BMT line it probably would be what I described with the 6th Avenue line. In the Bronx it probably wouldn't have connected to any IRT lines, so it may have looked like the Second Avenue Subway from the 1929 Second System plan. (But we still don't have the 2nd avenue subway in our world even with city funding, so it definitely wouldn't exist in this timeline)

Eventually the city would have bought out the IRT/BMT, the conditions of the Dual Contracts were too bad for the private companies. But the city may have just adopted the companies' plans instead of making their own.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.amny.com/police-fire/man-terrorizes-manhattan-flaming-newspapers/?utm_source=amny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=evening-newsletter&utm_term=amNY Evening Daily RSS Newsletter&fbclid=IwAR33LrwAlDtYtDQrliE3nhl58Hm7xS1Zmtx2Viy8PYoqOp06bzeOqEJcokc

Stay caution and be aware of your surroundings. Yesterday, an incident occurred to where a man set newspapers on fire and threw it at riders. Took place at around 5:30 PM at 33rd St on the (6) uptown. 

30 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

What happened to the platform conductors? Are they still around or did the (MTA) discontinue the program?

They’re still around. They’re at the high-trafficked stations such as Grand Central and Times Sq only during wkday rush hrs. If you go down to the (7) platform, they’re practically yelling and shouting at commuters to move away from the limited clearance zones. 

22 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

There should be a subway line to Staten Island from the existing Bay Ridge 95th Street Station. This will require getting rid of the false walls just south of the station that once extended further down to 101st Street. In order for it to be feasible, it should be built as a 2 track tunnel along the Verrazano Narrows bridge under the Lower Bay, and along the Staten Island expressway. Stopping at Lily Pond Avenue, Hylan Boulevard, and Grasmere. After Lily Pond Avenue, the line will either emerge as an elevated, or run on the median of the Staten Island expressway with non-revenue trackway connections to the Staten Island Railway. This can be served by the (R) and/or (W) lines.

Perhaps they should extend the IBX across to SI and along the North Shore line, kill 2 birds with one stone. They will also not be detained by (R) train service and would have the ability to connect to many lines, including the SIR and Ferry.

Edited by N6 Limited

Today’s been one of those better days on the (B): lucked out and skipped ahead of 3 (Q)s on the way to Sheepshead Bay.

Last week, not so much: (B) stuck in traffic for so long I could not even transfer to the same (Q) I was on before I got on the (B). 😂

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Weren't the R44's retired in 2012?

They were all retired after September 16th 2010, December 2009 is when they starting removing units by numbers. Various structure integrity issues were found on the NYCT R44s causing them to give them an early push to retirement.  

Edited by Calvin

At the Nevins St (2)(3)(4)(5) station there is a lower level with a provision to a line that would have run along Lafayette Av. Are there any IRT documents or proposals that show where this Lafayette avenue line would have terminated, maybe in Willamsburg like the (MJ67) or LIC like the (G), or would it have run straight to northeast Queens?

3 hours ago, Reptile said:

At the Nevins St (2)(3)(4)(5) station there is a lower level with a provision to a line that would have run along Lafayette Av. Are there any IRT documents or proposals that show where this Lafayette avenue line would have terminated, maybe in Willamsburg like the (MJ67) or LIC like the (G), or would it have run straight to northeast Queens?

I think that was a proposal to get their feet in the door in Brooklyn, nothing more. What company in their right mind would propose a new line running up Lafayette Avenue from downtown Brooklyn ? That was BMT territory back then. Look at a map of that area and time and it’s obvious, at least to me. From Sands Street there was the Myrtle and Fifth Avenue line branching off of it before Navy Street. At the same time the Fulton Street Elevated was at Flatbush. Further along the Myrtle the Lexington Avenue line branched off at Grand Avenue to Lexington and headed to Broadway. Where was the ridership base supposed to come from along Lafayette ? Remember the IRT wanted the Fourth Avenue line before the BMT was awarded the contract. I’m guessing they were bluffing. Look no further than the Eastern Parkway line leaving Utica Avenue heading to Brownsville. The tracks line up with Pitkin Avenue (as do the address numbers) before the tracks turn to Sutter-Rutland and on to Livonia Avenue. The IRT would’ve been blocked by the BMT Canarsie line. This is what some of us learned about in NYCT school car. Sounded reasonable to us back then. Carry on.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Weren't the R44's retired in 2012?

The Westinghouse 44's were officially retired on September 16, 2010 along the A and C trains. The retirement began on December 18, 2009 when it was decided that the rest of the 32's and 42's were going to stay due to the high levels of vandalism and structural integrity issues that were on those 44's. Half of the 46 fleet from Jamaica went to Pitkin and the rest of the 160's that could have gone there went to Jamaica.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

I believe this was the set that was had major graffiti on it and this is the aftermath of it. 

Oh dear, the Jamaica R160's also has lots graffiti issues. I remember looking at Jamaica yard on google maps and like 3 or 4 full sets were completely graffitied on one side. Even after cleaning, i still see some amount of pink, purple or neon green on the f train especially in the sun lol. 

On 8/29/2023 at 7:07 PM, Lawrence St said:

@VIP is the (F) shuttle a picked job or extra list?

That’s called an X job which means Extra. It’s always a part of a G.O. Or long term G.O. So crews whom already had picked (F) line jobs don’t work the shuttle. It’s usually (Extra Extra crews) or Extra list crews

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Does anyone here know if it’s possible for the <F> express to run on the middle track on the culver line, if so, should it be studied?

Possible? Yes. But ridership is so low on the BMT Culver that it can't be worth it, plus it would interfere with short turns at Kings Hwy.

Honestly, having a high-frequency route like the (F) run down to Coney Island never really made any sense to me, the entire route south of Church Ave has about the same ridership as Jamaica-179 alone.

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Does anyone here know if it’s possible for the <F> express to run on the middle track on the culver line, if so, should it be studied?

Why not? It does on midday and weekend G.O.s all the time, and all the infrastructure has even been recently improved to facilitate it. Going northbound now, locals can switch to express north of Kings Highway instead of at Avenue X where it would get in the way of terminal operations on the middle track at Kings Highway.