SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Nice shot lupojohn! Dyckman has gotten much better after the renovation.

Thanks. Yeah and as you can see, they're not done as evidenced by the uptown platform and the elevator is supposed to be done and ready to go in September on the downtown side.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today after school...

1. Caught an R46 (A) to Far Rockaway and then went back. It had a RFW view (despite the full width cab) so I went towards it to look outside instead of the window sides.

2. After getting off the (A) at Euclid N/B, I took the (C) to Fulton. Car #3877 was hot with no A/C on but the rest of the cars' A/C was working well.

3. Deciding to go home as I was hungry. Boarded the (2) at Fulton and transferred to a (4) at Nevins. It got held near Franklin due to an R142 (5) in-front. Then was we stopped fully at Franklin, it was held again because of the 5 which I soon discovered it was a Utica dropout. Then the (3) came after the same 2 I got off at Nevins. Along the way to Utica, my 3 passed the Utica droput 5, and another 4. As we approached Utica, another 4 was sitting there then pulled out.

In the morning I got on an (R) that skipped every stop from 95th to 59th then when I'm going home the train I get on skips Bay Ridge ave. and 77 st. The best ride on the (R) I could think of

I've been on an (R) that went express from 36 St to 86 St when it was late.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Like the sleek look of the FIND system!  How secure is its mounting? How is it attached between the ceiling and the wall of the inside of the R160 cars?  Is it suspended from the ceiling, mounted on the wall, or might it be actually mounted right in the juncture of the ceiling and sidewall?  Does anybody know where i could see a schematic?

Did anyone else ride the (7) today? Tons of construction on the Flushing-bound local track from 33rd to 90th. Several dozens of contractors working, a couple cranes, FOUR NW-2 Engines which is the most I've seen in such short proximity. Great sight! 

Today was my lucky day because when I arrived at 59 st at 4:30 a.m an (N) pulled in. When I arrived at Jay st The (A) came like few minutes later. It's lucky that I don't miss a train at late night.

Did anyone else ride the (7) today? Tons of construction on the Flushing-bound local track from 33rd to 90th. Several dozens of contractors working, a couple cranes, FOUR NW-2 Engines which is the most I've seen in such short proximity. Great sight! 

How many minutes did it took to travel from QBP to Main St.

How many minutes did it took to travel from QBP to Main St.

I only rode it from QBP to Junction Blvd., but that took upwards of 35 minutes or so. There were very few sections where the train could actually accelerate. 

My bad on not taking down all the numbers, but there was a set of R160s slowly headed down south on the center track on the Sea Beach today around 2:45 when my train passed it. The front 5 were led by 8662 (which means that was 8662-8658). The interesting part was the trailing set of 5 I unfortunately didn't get the numbers for, but one of its cars was positively f**ked up with a flat spot. I turned around because this didn't sound like a normal (or even bad) flat spot, this sounded like a god damn building was dropping on the rails every turn. Never seen/heard that before. Any of the resident transit employees on here know what the trailing 5-car set was and how that one wheel got so badly damaged?

Edited by Culver

Brakes probably locked up on that axle and dragged the wheel along the real causing a major flat spot. They probably cut the brakes on that car so that's why it was going slow

...I could be wrong

Hey Fresh, i notice from your posts you have an interrest in the FIND as well, and I wondered whether you had any insight for me on my quest posted above as follows: (thanks very much in advance)

....."Like the sleek look of the FIND system!  How secure is its mounting? How is it attached between the ceiling and the wall of the inside of the R160 cars?  Is it suspended from the ceiling, mounted on the wall, or might it be actually mounted right in the juncture of the ceiling and sidewall?  Does anybody know where i could see a schematic?"

Hey Fresh, i notice from your posts you have an interrest in the FIND as well, and I wondered whether you had any insight for me on my quest posted above as follows: (thanks very much in advance)

....."Like the sleek look of the FIND system!  How secure is its mounting? How is it attached between the ceiling and the wall of the inside of the R160 cars?  Is it suspended from the ceiling, mounted on the wall, or might it be actually mounted right in the juncture of the ceiling and sidewall?  Does anybody know where i could see a schematic?"

Uh- are you trying to figure out how to rip a god damn FIND panel out of a train?

If so, please don't. Kthx.

Uh- are you trying to figure out how to rip a god damn FIND panel out of a train?

If so, please don't. Kthx.

uh...no, that wouldn't be nice, nor is your assumption or tone.  Just curious how they're mounted from an engineering point of view.  Jeeze!

Edited by subwayboy

....."Like the sleek look of the FIND system! How secure is its mounting? How is it attached between the ceiling and the wall of the inside of the R160 cars? Is it suspended from the ceiling, mounted on the wall, or might it be actually mounted right in the juncture of the ceiling and sidewall? Does anybody know where i could see a schematic?"

I do not know how its held up there. There's a video on YouTube about how they make the 160s.

Type in Ultimate Factories and R160

Got to 59th-Lex on the (N) around 12:15 a.m. or so after the Heat game. Train pulls in and the C/R says over the intercom that there is no more (R) service b/c of FasTrack and to either take this train to Queens or find another way home. Right after he says this several people throw their hands in the air in disgust. 

Apparently not too many people were familiar with the fact that QBP was under construction. 

Got to 59th-Lex on the (N) around 12:15 a.m. or so after the Heat game. Train pulls in and the C/R says over the intercom that there is no more (R) service b/c of FasTrack and to either take this train to Queens or find another way home. Right after he says this several people throw their hands in the air in disgust. 

Apparently not too many people were familiar with the fact that QBP was under construction. 

:lol: at the bolded.

You freaked me out for a second, because I thought they were also doing construction on Queensboro Plaza (QBP) while they were doing FasTrack on the Queens Boulevard Line (QBL). Pretty sure you just meant QBL though - QBP they're using as a major transfer point for customers affected on the QBL, since all the service east of roosevelt is funneled onto the (7)

As for the customers who didn't know that they were FastTracking, while I live nearest one of the stations closed by the fastrack and can totally sympathize with their ire - I don't understand how they could be in the dark on the program. There are literally posters about it on every column in my station, and on every car of every E, F, M, and R train. (Seriously the MTA's Kinko's bill must be off the chart.)

New Yorkers are so quick to be frustrated by service changes.

I try to stop and think about the convenience of having a magic stairwell I can descend, pay less than a cup of starbucks, and emerge just about anywhere in the city within an hour. Sometimes It's going to be slightly less convenient, because of you know, the physics of the whole thing: but it's pretty easy to check your phone before you go downstairs and figure out what's running and what's not.

It's the unplanned changes once I'm already onboard that still frustrate me. But what are you going to do? It's a train. If you can't roll with the punches, pony up the cash and take a cab. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

You freaked me out for a second, because I thought they were also doing construction on Queensboro Plaza (QBP) while they were doing FasTrack on the Queens Boulevard Line (QBL). Pretty sure you just meant QBL though - QBP they're using as a major transfer point for customers affected on the QBL, since all the service east of roosevelt is funneled onto the (7)

As for the customers who didn't know that they were FastTracking, while I live nearest one of the stations closed by the fastrack and can totally sympathize with their ire - I don't understand how they could be in the dark on the program. There are literally posters about it on every column in my station, and on every car of every E, F, M, and R train. (Seriously the MTA's Kinko's bill must be off the chart.)

New Yorkers are so quick to be frustrated by service changes.

I try to stop and think about the convenience of having a magic stairwell I can descend, pay less than a cup of starbucks, and emerge just about anywhere in the city within an hour. Sometimes It's going to be slightly less convenient, because of you know, the physics of the whole thing: but it's pretty easy to check your phone before you go downstairs and figure out what's running and what's not.

It's the unplanned changes once I'm already onboard that still frustrate me. But what are you going to do? It's a train. If you can't roll with the punches, pony up the cash and take a cab. 

S--T got me weak!