SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wall St Station wasn't that bad considering they built it from scratch.

although much wider than the actual platform, at least they got the island platform correct. What they could've done was have that r27/30 signed up as a 2 train instead of the 3.

Random and unrelated but I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU right now that has literally used Hoyt-Schermerhorn as a stand in for 3 different subway stations in the same episode - and I'm sure I'm the only person watching who's infuriated by this. 

Worse, it's not even the biggest sin the episode has committed - when the station was standing in for spring street there's like 30 seconds of blatant cameraman in shot. Yikes. 

Also they used an R68 with (C) on the rollsign...

well there was a scene shot at the transit museum using the museum cars as a stand in for the dc metro on nbc's the blacklist. So i think they could do worse....

let not forget how bad it is on the new Pelham 123 with John Travolta. In beginning it was at GC on the (7) and in the end they lay the direction of the train to Coney Island when we know that impossible. Also if you noticed in passenger area they used the R160 not the R142

although much wider than the actual platform, at least they got the island platform correct. What they could've done was have that r27/30 signed up as a 2 train instead of the 3.

Well, the platform had to be made artificially wider so the shot of the train car derailing and swinging out across the platform could work. 

Granted, from a physics perspective, that shot is comical - but it's an exciting scene and a technical feat really. I saw a making-of when they did that scene, they bought R27/R30's destined for scrap, and replaced the traction motors with Chevy 357 small blocks, and they had a working, gas powered subway train in a short length of track they built. Far more attention to detail than you'd ever see these days. 

Reportedly director John McTeirnan lost a whole day of filming because he put everything on hold so he could drive the "subway" up and down the track they built :-D can't say I blame him. 

let not forget how bad it is on the new Pelham 123 with John Travolta. In beginning it was at GC on the (7) and in the end they lay the direction of the train to Coney Island when we know that impossible. Also if you noticed in passenger area they used the R160 not the R142

I mean sure, but what? 

What makes you think that it started on the (7)? PELHAM 123 by it's very callsign has to be a (6)

Of course by that logic, it's midday so it also would have been pelham 1323 but ehhhh. 

But yes, there are no (easy) connections from Lex IRT to coney island. Although....

Perhaps the train switched to the local tracks at atlantic, coasted through the unpowered yard leads past junius, ricoched of a bumper block back onto the Canarsie line where it took power again, switched to the J line at east new york, went over the manhattan bridge, through montague, onto the 4th av line, followed my sea beach and - 

well yeah, whatever. that movie is dumb. 

If the money was there would it be feasible to run the (5) as the 3rd Ave line in the Bronx? Build a new line from 149th St up 3rd ave to Fordham Rd, then turn east along Fordham Rd to reconnect with the Dyre Line, continue existing service. Morris Park Station would be bypassed. Or the line could use E180th street to rejoin the line at E180th street or just south of Morris Park station.

If the money was there would it be feasible to run the (5) as the 3rd Ave line in the Bronx? Build a new line from 149th St up 3rd ave to Fordham Rd, then turn east along Fordham Rd to reconnect with the Dyre Line, continue existing service. Morris Park Station would be bypassed. Or the line could use E180th street to rejoin the line at E180th street or just south of Morris Park station.

It would make more sense to just wait for the Second Avenue Subway (T).........

Or even simpler: extend the D under gun hill road and have transfers to both GH stops so riders can get from one part of the bronx to the other a little quicker than via bus. I think it'd be better off for 3rd av to be part of the SAS (even though it will be a while till that even crosses into the Bronx).

It would make more sense to just wait for the Second Avenue Subway (T).........

Thats if the line makes it past 96th street :)

Or even simpler: extend the D under gun hill road and have transfers to both GH stops so riders can get from one part of the bronx to the other a little quicker than via bus. I think it'd be better off for 3rd av to be part of the SAS (even though it will be a while till that even crosses into the Bronx).

The (D) extension would be nice as well. 

Why are the seats left inside the cabs of full-cab conversion R62As? If you're gonna get rid of passenger seats for operator comfort, might as well do it right.

The seats are not left inside the cab. That would be impossible since there isn't enough room.

They used an R62A as a prop for the "R142A". The car was #2079. It still has the fake blood stains inside the cab, but it's hard to see.

Submitting this article from Second Ave Sagas that caught my eye:

Link: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/01/01/subway-related-collisions-largely-held-steady-for-2013/

Jan 1 Subway-related collisions largely held steady for 2013
By Benjamin Kabak

platform-graphic-1211.jpg
The MTA is testing track intrusion detection technology at one undisclosed station.

It’s often challenging to write about subway-related deaths or collisions without seeming callous or overly concerned. The deaths — ranging from intentional suicides to homicides to accidents — that we’ve heard about underground are tragic, and non-fatal incidents can be life-altering. They’re newsworthy because people aren’t supposed to be hit by trains and because they can impact normal rides for millions.

Early on in 2013, many people were showering an overwhelming amount of attention on subway/passenger collisions. Newspapers were marking each accident, alleging an uptick, while the TWU seemed to latch onto the stories as something they could exploit for good P.R. The union called for all train operators to slow down to 10 miles per hour while pulling into stations. It would have been incredibly time-consuming and costly, and the MTA did all it could to shoot it down.

Even as I disputed whether or not these subway incidents were enough of a problem to warrant action, over the course of the year they crept in and out of transit-related news coverage. Spurred on by a dramatic image of a man who had been pushed into the tracks and facing down an incoming Q train, the press coverage drove the MTA to begin to pilot sensor technology that is supposed to alert transit employees when an unauthorized person has entered the tracks. We discussed the high price tag for platform edge doors, and the overall cost assessment of working to save lives. The answers aren’t easy.

Well people believe that those are so helpful but they don't know about how much the MTA has to spend to do it to all 468 stations.

Some don't care either.

Yes, of course finances restrict the rollout of some technologies, in addition to the size of the system. I think most people want the money to go to fare decreases or something other, which is wishful thinking.

^MY friend said that using screen doors is a very good idea for the subway..

But I like the laser plan though.

The "Intrusion Detection" system is far more cost effective than screen doors, and implemented properly could be just as effective at preventing accidental death due to train collision. 

Of course, it will not stop someone from jumping directly in front of a train - but as I'd noted back when everyone was clamoring for screen doors - removing a means for someone to commit suicide will just cause that person to find another way to commit suicide, it would not per se save their life. 

Also, before this was proposed by the MTA i suggested a system, based on a combination of lasers, radar and thermal cameras as a way to detect persons on the track. That's exactly what they're doing, and that makes me happy. 

There's a R160 that has been wrapped in a Jaguar ad. One of the car numbers is 9613.

Ironic as I was just discussing new wraps.

In my opinion we need a Victoria's Secret wrap, as only then will we see if the foamers have the audacity to bitch over that. Think of it as a test of sorts, a test that will prove a lot more than just who bitches, rather who enjoys them.

On a completely different note, after f**king around in the chatroom tonight the discussion of the (C) came up. I won't go into complete detail as some here are quite offended easily, but a joke proposal was made and I'd like to share it.

What if the (C) line to be the designated vintage line starting this spring, with all vintage equipment to replace current rolling stock for one day and one day only? Opinions, please.

Ironic as I was just discussing new wraps.

In my opinion we need a Victoria's Secret wrap, as only then will we see if the foamers have the audacity to bitch over that. Think of it as a test of sorts, a test that will prove a lot more than just who bitches, rather who enjoys them.

On a completely different note, after f**king around in the chatroom tonight the discussion of the (C) came up. I won't go into complete detail as some here are quite offended easily, but a joke proposal was made and I'd like to share it.

What if the (C) line to be the designated vintage line starting this spring, with all vintage equipment to replace current rolling stock for one day and one day only? Opinions, please.

The (C) is already a vintage line the way I see it.