SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Really? Wow. I just buy off eBay. No wonder all the transfers on the map still have the orange (Q).

On the other hand: just because I don't want to mess up my R142 (4) strip map is there anyway I can buy one off from the (MTA)?

Say Javvy, you wouldn't happen to be about 5 foot 7" tall weight about 160 pounds, black hair, black framed glasses, usually wearing jeans a t-shirt and a slim coat or jacket? South American. Do you like hanging around GC watching trains go by? Where ya going today after you take the 1 train downtown? I don't mean anything bad, just wanna know if I got the right person here.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you mean what's covered over below the transfers at 86th and Utica I think I know what you're talking about.

That's a smart move printing new maps with (I'm assuming) the future SBS routes already on them.

There is nothing else it can be, and yes, better updating the whole map now instead of making a sticker for the future.

Like I said before, it's about time they completely replaced the line maps. They were looking ratty with all of those stickers on them. Hopefully this extends to the 2-line sets. Those sets desperately need their maps replaced what with their brownish lines and all.

Like I said before, it's about time they completely replaced the line maps. They were looking ratty with all of those stickers on them. Hopefully this extends to the 2-line sets. Those sets desperately need their maps replaced what with their brownish lines and all.

Some of the (2) 's maps look like the (J)(Z) 's colors.

I wonder how feasible it would be to put one map as a (2) and one map as a (5) so riders would have at least one map to look at no matter what line the train is running on. It would make the R142s a little more versatile.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

It would probably be feasible with a couple of coding changes on the 2/5 programs. This is something I drew up a few months ago when I was drawing line maps.

13910833084_06917f5d9b_o.pngIt's not the best solution, especially when it comes to reroutes, like the 5 to/from Dyre Av via 7th Ave, but it's something.

Edited by Lance

Some of the (2) 's maps look like the (J)(Z) 's colors.

I wonder how feasible it would be to put one map as a (2) and one map as a (5) so riders would have at least one map to look at no matter what line the train is running on. It would make the R142s a little more versatile.

That's because of the yard. The yard stickers on the (2) and (4) had the Orange/brownish color back when they had R62A.

Really? Wow. I just buy off eBay. No wonder all the transfers on the map still have the orange (Q).On the other hand: just because I don't want to mess up my R142 (4) strip map is there anyway I can buy one off from the (MTA)?

How do you search as I have tried and got nothin :/

Is it only the R160's that have FIND's?

Just thought perhaps it would be more cost effective to retrofit the R142's with the FIND System as don't the 2/5 share the same stock?

I think they came up with FIND after the R142/3s were ordered and desided to put them on R160s. Every car after and including the R160s will be the only cars with FIND. If the R142s began upgrading to FIND now, I would imagine a lot of money being lost. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

NYC's subways are still so god-damn loud and the ride always shaky. I wonder if the MTA could do better by installing these:

http://www.abv1991.ru/en/products1/vibro_protection_construction_of_truck/

They did a pretty good job at Ocean Parkway with the sound and vibration-dampening sleepers, but this "cradle" concept seems to go one step further by suspending the rails above the sleepers.

NYC's subways are still so god-damn loud and the ride always shaky. I wonder if the MTA could do better by installing these:

http://www.abv1991.ru/en/products1/vibro_protection_construction_of_truck/

They did a pretty good job at Ocean Parkway with the sound and vibration-dampening sleepers, but this "cradle" concept seems to go one step further by suspending the rails above the sleepers.

I find the NYC Subways to be quieter than Boston's.

The MetroCard system may be long due for replacement, but until MTA replaces the cards with contact-less payment (expected in 2022), The Pratt Institute is brainstorming ideas for how to improve the current MetroCard system. Have any thoughts? Submit them here: 

http://www.ideaful.co/challenge/How-to-improve-the-MetroCard-system

Thanks!

I just now noticed this, there seems to be a 2 express tracks that are directly under City Hall Loop, but I have never seen any junctions to these connecting tracks.

Someone please explain?? :blink:

The tracks were for when the (6) extended to Bowling Green in the 1970s. When Bowling Green service ended, those tracks were disconnected from the express tracks. They are now used for (6) train layups.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

The tracks were for when the (6) extended to Bowling Green in the 1970s. When Bowling Green service ended, those tracks were disconnected from the express tracks. They are now used for (6) train layups.

That dosent make any sense, are you saying the tracks were extended almost a mile long to Bowling Green and then they just disconnected it? 

That dosent make any sense, are you saying the tracks were extended almost a mile long to Bowling Green and then they just disconnected it? 

No. We're saying that they were connected to the express tracks, which the locals then used to access Bowling Green, stopping at all the stations in between.