SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Just to be clear, NO R68s were ever used on the (V). It only used Jamaica Cars, and R68s NEVER touched Jamaica outside of the 9/11 aftermath. And even then, it was only a month or so R68s were stored there, and the (V) started near the end of 2001.

I disagree cuz the (F) had an R68 once upon the Queens Blvd Line.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!

I saw this yesterday on a Brighton express train. I forgot if it was an R68 or R68A. Anyway, I thought it was weird. It looks like it had a ripped (1) bullet that was ripped in half with a (B) bullet right behind it. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

akublc.jpg

Its an R68. That particular set was used in a movie shoot a while back signed up as a (1) train.

The R40 slant and R32 ran on the (V) in September of 2001 as a pilot run, then it was decided the (V) would be 100% R46's until july 2009 when R32's, R40M's and R42's started to run on the (V),

R38's ran on the (V) in February of 2005 when it was extended to Euclid Ave due to that fire, it also ran R32's as well

The R40 slant and R32 ran on the (V) in September of 2001 as a pilot run, then it was decided the (V) would be 100% R46's until july 2009 when R32's, R40M's and R42's started to run on the (V),

R38's ran on the (V) in February of 2005 when it was extended to Euclid Ave due to that fire, it also ran R32's as well

That was January 2005. The (C) was restored after that fire on February 1st

I can't believe some people are still trying to say what the (V) had or just because an R40S ran on the (V) doesn't mean it ran until the line got discontinued.

In the (V) 's final days it ran whatever Jamaica put on it. So that means that R32's, R40M/R42's R46's and sometimes R160 ran. Most of the routes existence it used only R46's and occasionally R32. The (M) when it got introduced to Queens Blvd gained so much popularity I was shocked. I never used to see (V) trains that crowded at all. Most of time I was always able to get a seat. The (M) does run slightly better than the (V) and even the (R) at times so I guess that is why it is much popular than the (V) ever was. Then there is the fact that it goes to Brooklyn.

I can't believe some people are still trying to say what the (V) had or just because an R40S ran on the (V) doesn't mean it ran until the line got discontinued.

In the (V) 's final days it ran whatever Jamaica put on it. So that means that R32's, R40M/R42's R46's and sometimes R160 ran. Most of the routes existence it used only R46's and occasionally R32. The (M) when it got introduced to Queens Blvd gained so much popularity I was shocked. I never used to see (V) trains that crowded at all. Most of time I was always able to get a seat. The (M) does run slightly better than the (V) and even the (R) at times so I guess that is why it is much popular than the (V) ever was. Then there is the fact that it goes to Brooklyn.

The (V) final days was R46s and R160s. R32s left Jamaica that May and the R42s Jamaica was already gone in December 2009

So word is the (G)(R) is goin to Forest Hills, the (V) is going to Jamaica with the (F) , the (W) to Astoria, the (Q) via the T, and the (M) to Bay Pkwy. The (F) will stay full express along the whole entire Culver Line, and the (V) will serve the QBL Local and go to 9th Av, Bklyn or Kings Hwy with the (R) and then via the (D) .

So word is the (G)(R) is goin to Forest Hills, the (V) is going to Jamaica with the (F) , the (W) to Astoria, the (Q) via the T, and the (M) to Bay Pkwy. The (F) will stay full express along the whole entire Culver Line, and the (V) will serve the QBL Local and go to 9th Av, Bklyn or Kings Hwy with the (R) and then via the (D) .

No just no

All of those, with the exception of the (W) and (Q) will not happen again.

The (V) final days was R46s and R160s. R32s left Jamaica that May and the R42s Jamaica was already gone in December 2009

Oh wow I thought by the time the (V) was discontinued it still used R32. Good to know when they really left Jamaica. I remember the very last trips were an R160. Edited by NewFlyer 230

Im hearing an old urban legend that the R142A'S were put on the (6)<6> because of bloomberg? any truth to it

Nope only reason why they didn't go the (7) back then in 2002 is because the steinway tunnel was to narrow so when the R142A's were tested the tunnels scrapped the side of the trains... that is why the R62A's had to be taken off of the (3) and (6) and were sent to the (7). That is also why between 2004- around 2012 or so they worked on the tunnels  to extend them so that the R142A's can fit through without any Issues. Had the R142A's been succesful back in 2002 the R62A's would of never left the  (6)<6> and the (7) could of likely been running CBTC right now. However bloomberg is the reason why the R62s left the (4) to go to the (3).

Edited by R62AR33

Im hearing an old urban legend that the R142A'S were put on the (6)<6> because of bloomberg? any truth to it

It was because 142As had bigger doors than the SMEE cars, bigger doors = better passenger flow on the overcrowded Lex.

I remember when the cars was new and they always bigged up the cars having bigger doors.

Nope only reason why they didn't go the (7) back then in 2002 is because the steinway tunnel was to narrow so when the R142A's were tested the tunnels scrapped the side of the trains... that is why the R62A's had to be taken off of the (3) and (6) and were sent to the (7). That is also why between 2004- around 2012 or so they worked on the tunnels  to extend them so that the R142A's can fit through without any Issues. Had the R142A's been succesful back in 2002 the R62A's would of never left the  (6)<6> and the (7) could of likely been running CBTC right now. However bloomberg is the reason why the R62s left the (4) to go to the (3).

How does an R142A not fit through the tunnels while an R62A can fit? Aren't both cars the same dimensions?

How does an R142A not fit through the tunnels while an R62A can fit? Aren't both cars the same dimensions?

They are. If I am not mistaken, the reason they didn't go on the (7) was due to power issues, not like those faced by the R160s in the Rockaways.

R62AR33's post just reeks of misinformation. If they extended widened the Steinway tunnels for the R142As, why not go all the way and widen them for B division spec trains, so that they can run much higher capacity? :rolleyes:

They are. If I am not mistaken, the reason they didn't go on the (7) was due to power issues, not like those faced by the R160s in the Rockaways.

R62AR33's post just reeks of misinformation. If they extended widened the Steinway tunnels for the R142As, why not go all the way and widen them for B division spec trains, so that they can run much higher capacity? :rolleyes:

Oh how I would've loved the R142A's on my (7) ! Too bad tho I blame the Steinway Tube! The (7) is now completely R188's, thank god cuz I was getting tired of R62A's and ive seen one set with the Hudson Yds sticker off, forgot what set it was. The R188's for some reason remind me of R160's and not like an R142A.

Some of you need to chill out with the Downvote button. Thats why most people keep these to theyselves