SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to extend the (G)(M) and (R) to 179th to do that (with the (F) express all the way through and if there is congestion sending any local train to the express after Parsons Boulevard).

True, extend the (R) but the (M) to Chambers. Wouldn't make a difference if both the (G) and (R) went to Forest Hills because it worked back in 2001-2010, except you won't have the (V) there.

I wanted to catch it at Court Sq but it was late, Its still in service on (G) hope its in service tomorrow. It ran the entire route. I thought to myself they should've extended the (G) to 71st in the meantime.

They already have some (E) and (F) trains running local so there will be too many trains running along Queens Blvd. I can see the (G) returning one day but that can only happen if the MTA had extra sets and no G.O's planned. I can't see that happening for another 10 years at least.

What kind of terminals are we talking?

Like a (R) to Metropolitan Ave or an (C) train to Forest Hills or even better a (D) train to 242nd Street via the (1).

Gotta look at the list when I get back from the laundromat, but from off the top of my head, I remember seeing...

(A) to Norwood via Concourse express & local

(B) to Penn Station

(C) via 6 Av

(D) to 95 St

(E) to Whitehall St

(F) via Sea Beach

(G) via Culver express

(N) to DeKalb Av

(Q) to Norwood via 6 Av/Concourse express

(R) to Smith-9 Sts

(S) to 175 St-GWB

(V) to Coney Island

(H) to Euclid Av

(K) to Jamaica Center

(X) to 21 St-Queensbridge via 6 Av express

I don't understand. What were you expecting Westchester to be, if not a sea of R62As?

What I meant was theres a handfull of R142As in service and only about five R62As in service this weekend. Im guessing is more about convenience of modern equipment if you get my drift.

Edited by jon2305

What I meant was theres a handfull of R142As in service and only about five R62As in service this weekend. Im guessing is more about convenience of modern equipment if you get my drift.

Yup the crew is getting ready for the (7) to become CBTC in 2017 so get used to see the converted R142as more on the (7) the R62as will all probably be off the line way before it's CBTC

This Planned Service changes schedule on the weekends needs to change. Why can't they start doing work in Sunday or Late Nights, it' takes me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get from 149 St to East 180 St when it would take me 25 minutes.

Well because on the weekends service is lighter than on the weekdays. From Friday night to Monday morning before rush hour is the perfect time to do track maintenance and so on. I know it can be a pain sometimes but it has to be done. You just have to be ready for the delays and so on. I know every weekend on the QBL either the local tracks are being worked on or the express so I just leave earlier.

True, extend the (R) but the (M) to Chambers. Wouldn't make a difference if both the (G) and (R) went to Forest Hills because it worked back in 2001-2010, except you won't have the (V) there.

If it were me, I would NOT send the (M) to Chambers so that Broadway-Brooklyn riders have their midtown service.  I would have all three go to 179 and have a few of them switch to the express track after Parsons when there is a logjam (as only 169th is affected in one direction). 

If it were me, I would NOT send the (M) to Chambers so that Broadway-Brooklyn riders have their midtown service. I would have all three go to 179 and have a few of them switch to the express track after Parsons when there is a logjam (as only 169th is affected in one direction).

They could not all go to 179th either because there is no demand for it and plus there is not enough room so something would have to terminate at 71 Ave. The problem with having two serve 179 and one serve 71 Ave is because whatever train that would go to 179th would get backed up due to the trains being cleaned and turned around for service at 71st. The (G) will most likely will never see regular service on Queens Blvd as long as the (M) goes to Forest Hills. Since people like the (M) so much and even more than the (R) it is staying. You could possibly see weekend (M) service in the future probably in 10 years once there are a few weekend G.O's and CBTC is complete on the QBL. Edited by NewFlyer 230

Never knew the R46's had NYCTA as a destination sign. Well I don't know a lot of R46 codes.

They have a lot of weird codes in there like...

WALK THRU TRAIN

LONG ISLAND RR

SPECIAL

...and lines with terminals you wouldn't believe

What kind of terminals are we talking?

Like a (R) to Metropolitan Ave or an (C) train to Forest Hills or even better a (D) train to 242nd Street via the (1).

Gotta look at the list when I get back from the laundromat, but from off the top of my head, I remember seeing...

(A) to Norwood via Concourse express & local

(B) to Penn Station

(C) via 6 Av

(D) to 95 St

(E) to Whitehall St

(F) via Sea Beach

(G) via Culver express

(N) to DeKalb Av

(Q) to Norwood via 6 Av/Concourse express

(R) to Smith-9 Sts

(S) to 175 St-GWB

(V) to Coney Island

(H) to Euclid Av

(K) to Jamaica Center

(X) to 21 St-Queensbridge via 6 Av express

Basically, the 44/46 side signs are coded for many possible routes with the exclusion of the Eastern Division (for obvious reasons). There are also codes for every non-ED B-Division station in the subway. I could've swore I posted the list here before. I'll link to it when I find it again.

EDIT: Found it: R46 side sign list

Also, in recognition of the opening of the 34 Street station, I've updated the line map.

Edited by Lance
R46 sign list link