SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a visit to the new station this past weekend ridership looks very low especially on the weekends I hope that they can create more jobs on that side b of Manhattan so ridership can grow that's the purpose of the station anyway, right?

they have still yet to build that deck over the lirr yard for the towers to go over it. For the moment the station is usuful for getting to the javits center, but 10th av was the station that would've really justified the 7 extension.

they have still yet to build that deck over the lirr yard for the towers to go over it. For the moment the station is usuful for getting to the javits center, but 10th av was the station that would've really justified the 7 extension.

I couldn't agree with you more. I feel like 10th Ave would have seen more usage than 34th street does now just because it is in more of a residential area so people will take it to head to Time Square, Grand Central and on Game days Citi Field. I was trying to look out the window to see where the station would be. Someone said on here before the MTA planned to leave the space for a 10th Ave station at another time but I couldn't see a spot with a big gap between tracks and I don't think the station would only have side platforms because all the other (7) stops in Manahattan are island platforms.

I couldn't agree with you more. I feel like 10th Ave would have seen more usage than 34th street does now just because it is in more of a residential area so people will take it to head to Time Square, Grand Central and on Game days Citi Field. I was trying to look out the window to see where the station would be. Someone said on here before the MTA planned to leave the space for a 10th Ave station at another time but I couldn't see a spot with a big gap between tracks and I don't think the station would only have side platforms because all the other (7) stops in Manahattan are island platforms.

By the way the tunnel looks, they didn't leave no shell or space for the proposed station.

The game's in LA tomorrow. Monday would be the first game in Flushing, and it's highly likely we'll see the "train of many colors" then.

not necessarily.

Weekday runs aren't doable due to service density. Hope that the mets beat the Dodgers so they have a chance at a weekend home game.

Wasn't the plan for 10th Av to make it side platforms?

I think it was to be side platforms or will have to be with the track close together the whole way. 

By the way the tunnel looks, they didn't leave no shell or space for the proposed station.

And it was a shame. They cry it made the costs too high to build the extension and they dropped 10th av entirely with no provisions to start the station with a shell. To build it now, they will have to spend even more which makes me feel 10th av is going to be very doubtful.

The L at 3rd av and 1st av are side platforms. I don't think 10th av had to be island platforms since they would probably build a mezzanine above it and you can get to the other platform if you were to accidentally end up on the wrong platform. The other option would be to go to the next station and switch on that platform. But yeah, the 7 extension doesn't do much for people west of 8th av. They will still need to rely on the poor m42 service or walk as they currently do.

I think it was to be side platforms or will have to be with the track close together the whole way. And it was a shame. They cry it made the costs too high to build the extension and they dropped 10th av entirely with no provisions to start the station with a shell. To build it now, they will have to spend even more which makes me feel 10th av is going to be very doubtful. The L at 3rd av and 1st av are side platforms. I don't think 10th av had to be island platforms since they would probably build a mezzanine above it and you can get to the other platform if you were to accidentally end up on the wrong platform. The other option would be to go to the next station and switch on that platform. But yeah, the 7 extension doesn't do much for people west of 8th av. They will still need to rely on the poor m42 service or walk as they currently do.

Well that is truly a shame that nothing was left anticipating future service. You didn't have to build the station but leave a cut out for it.

I always wonder how transpiration in New York City would be like if they actually built more subways lines in Queens and crosstown lines in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

The plans for Queens were amazing a Southern Jamaica line, a extended Hillside Ave Line. Horace Harding line, a Northern Blvd, and there were a few others like I believe even a Jewel Ave Line and a College Point Line. In my opinion the Bx12 SBS could have been a subway line. It took almost a century to start 2nd Ave line and I feel like we either won't be alive or old when the whole line is completed. I'm 18 years old and I believe they started in 2007 I was only 9. So if it takes about a decade to open 3 stations imagine how old I will be when they complete the whole line. I understand funding is not there but how many more people can you fit on a crowded (E) train that is always delayed on Queens Blvd during the morning rush? I never take the (E) going to Manhattan or anywhere unless I'm late. It is so bad now sometimes your body is touching the person in front of you or behind you. Boy them new subway lines would have been useful.

A Rockaway to Queen Blvd line would be awesome and I did notice the connectors that would have been used to connect the Queens Blvd Line between 67th and 63rd drive. I don't remember seeing the tracks branch off onto the actual turn off point.

I'm done ranting carry on.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

The (7) extension has rather wide bench walls. Would it be possible to join the bench walls through the tunnel wall and make even a narrow island platform?

The benchwalls are ADA compliant, that's why they're so wide. Plus, they built 2 separate tunnels for each individual track so you would have to build the station box in between the tubes (who knows how deep they [the tubes] are at that point), then knock down the tube walls

The time for Game 3 is TBD, its a 12:30 or 1 PM start time they could run the TOMC.

Monday is a weekday schedule, even though its Colombus day.

Also, its the Top of the 9th for the first Mets vs. Dodgers game, and the Mets are winning 3-0. Lets hope they can beat out the Dodgers.

The (7) would be useful for comic con, hope people know about 34th St.

There are at least a few hundred people that used the station to get to comic con.

Right now the station is hidden, you'd only know it was there if you already know about the station. They should have Big (7) signs pointing to the new station from the Javitz Center and perhaps advertise it inside the Javits center as a way to get back to other subway lines.

Well that is truly a shame that nothing was left anticipating future service. You didn't have to build the station but leave a cut out for it.

I always wonder how transpiration in New York City would be like if they actually built more subways lines in Queens and crosstown lines in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

The plans for Queens were amazing a Southern Jamaica line, a extended Hillside Ave Line. Horace Harding line, a Northern Blvd, and there were a few others like I believe even a Jewel Ave Line and a College Point Line. In my opinion the Bx12 SBS could have been a subway line. It took almost a century to start 2nd Ave line and I feel like we either won't be alive or old when the whole line is completed. I'm 18 years old and I believe they started in 2007 I was only 9. So if it takes about a decade to open 3 stations imagine how old I will be when they complete the whole line. I understand funding is not there but how many more people can you fit on a crowded (E) train that is always delayed on Queens Blvd during the morning rush? I never take the (E) going to Manhattan or anywhere unless I'm late. It is so bad now sometimes your body is touching the person in front of you or behind you. Boy them new subway lines would have been useful.

A Rockaway to Queen Blvd line would be awesome and I did notice the connectors that would have been used to connect the Queens Blvd Line between 67th and 63rd drive. I don't remember seeing the tracks branch off onto the actual turn off point.

Edit: Forgot to reply to the last quote. Is EVERY car in the (E) full? Also, you could transfer to the (F) at Union Turnpike if the (E) is that bad. 

Edited by N6 Limited

not necessarily.

Weekday runs aren't doable due to service density. Hope that the mets beat the Dodgers so they have a chance at a weekend home game.

Actually, Monday is a holiday (Columbus Day), so it's possible they could use it and have a couple less trains otherwise since schools are mostly closed and most Federal workers and those who work at most banks (but now all) have the day off.

One thing that could make it tricky is the possibility we won't know the exact Monday schedule until Sunday night since the Rangers are up 2-0 in their series with the Blue Jays and we won't know if Game 4 of that series will be needed until after Game 3 is played.  The only known game on the schedule right now has Royals-Astros at 1:07 PM ET (12:07 PM local time in Houston), which suggests the Mets could be at 4:07 or 7:07 PM if the Blue Jays win (and if so, that game most likely at 4:07 PM with Dodgers-Mets at 7:07 and Cardinals-Cubs at 10:07/9:07 local) and if the Blue Jays lose the expected schedule would be Cardinals-Cubs at 5:37 PM/4:37 local and Dodgers-Mets at 8:37 PM.

Edited by Wallyhorse

well Phase 1 for 2nd ave subway is scheduled to open next year so at least we'll live to see that lol

Edited by R62AR33

Actually, Monday is a holiday (Columbus Day), so it's possible they could use it and have a couple less trains otherwise since schools are mostly closed and most Federal workers and those who work at most banks (but now all) have the day off.

One thing that could make it tricky is the possibility we won't know the exact Monday schedule until Sunday night since the Rangers are up 2-0 in their series with the Blue Jays and we won't know if Game 4 of that series will be needed until after Game 3 is played. The only known game on the schedule right now has Royals-Astros at 1:07 PM ET (12:07 PM local time in Houston), which suggests the Mets could be at 4:07 or 7:07 PM if the Blue Jays win (and if so, that game most likely at 4:07 PM with Dodgers-Mets at 7:07 and Cardinals-Cubs at 10:07/9:07 local) and if the Blue Jays lose the expected schedule would be Cardinals-Cubs at 5:37 PM/4:37 local and Dodgers-Mets at 8:37 PM.

it doesn't matter. 7 line service on Columbus Day is a weekday schedule. It will not run.

When they ran the Low-V's for the Yankees playoffs a week ago or so, was it on a weekday?

Yes, but the (7) I believe runs far more trains than the (4) and the start time was known for quite a while.

What they could do given Monday is a holiday (and many people do have the day off) is run a modified weekday schedule, but the real problem is they may not know what the start time will be.  TBS (which has the NLDS) apparently wants Mets-Dodgers in prime time no matter what and had tentatively set the start time for 8:37 PM, however, that is dependent on whether or not we have three or four games on Monday.  Complicating matters is the other three games (if we have four on Monday) are ALL in the Central Time zone, so unless Dodgers-Mets went first at Noon, if we have four games, EITHER Royals-Astros (already scheduled for 1:07 PM ET), Cardinals-Cubs or Blue Jays-Rangers has to likely go at 10:07 PM/9:07 local, meaning Mets-Dodgers would likely have to be at 7:07 PM on Monday.  Not knowing the exact schedule for Monday until Sunday night likely makes it difficult at best to try to schedule TOMC given we likely won't know the start time until late Sunday night after Blue-Jays-Rangers Game 3 (scheduled for 8:07 PM ET Sunday night).

In answer to the TOMC on the (7), it's much more likely if they do it at all, it will be on Tuesday for Game 4 of the NLDS.  That game has already been scheduled for 8:07 PM whereas Monday's Game 3 STILL does not have a scheduled start time and likely won't until we know what happens with Game 3 of Blue Jays-Rangers in the ALDS tomorrow since if there are four games Monday, Dodgers-Mets is likely at 7:07 PM (with either Cardinals-Cubs Game 3 or Blue Jays-Rangers Game 4 at 4:07 PM and the other at 10:07 PM ET) and if the Blue Jays lose Sunday and are eliminated, Monday's game at Shea is expected to be at 8:07 or 8:37 PM.

In answer to the TOMC on the (7), it's much more likely if they do it at all, it will be on Tuesday for Game 4 of the NLDS.  That game has already been scheduled for 8:07 PM whereas Monday's Game 3 STILL does not have a scheduled start time and likely won't until we know what happens with Game 3 of Blue Jays-Rangers in the ALDS tomorrow since if there are four games Monday, Dodgers-Mets is likely at 7:07 PM (with either Cardinals-Cubs Game 3 or Blue Jays-Rangers Game 4 at 4:07 PM and the other at 10:07 PM ET) and if the Blue Jays lose Sunday and are eliminated, Monday's game at Shea is expected to be at 8:07 or 8:37 PM.

It will not run on Weekdays. That's final. No change in the time of the game will change that.