SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was waiting for the 179th St bound (F) at West 4th St and caught the R46. Before the train came, I took a photo of a subway sign and I want to know what is means. What does "OPTO S" mean? I am going to guess it means Option To Stop.

Subway%20sign_zpsfa2sqlxh.jpg

So I was waiting for the 179th St bound (F) at West 4th St and caught the R46. Before the train came, I took a photo of a subway sign and I want to know what is means. What does "OPTO S" mean? I am going to guess it means Option To Stop.

Subway%20sign_zpsfa2sqlxh.jpg

OPTO = One Person Train Operation

S = Shuttle

Edited by P3F

sort of, but a part of me wants them to be delayed as I love R32s.

Not all of them are being retired by the R179's anyway.

They're nostalgic but they really need to go at this point. The fact that some of them may be in service until 2022 is mind boggling. They will probably hold the record for longevity among subway cars for a very long time.

I think the trains looked better when they had the silver and blue stripe paint jobs.

<images>

The full stainless look is so bland. The MTA is getting blue buses, so I'm sure they can come up with something creative!

Maintaining that kind of paint on subways is far more difficult than doing so on a bus, and it is far more susceptible to graffiti.

Maintaining that kind of paint on subways is far more difficult than doing so on a bus, and it is far more susceptible to graffiti.

I agree however I'd love to see them try some sort of heritage program (similar to Norfolk Southern's) with either the R160's or the new R179/211s (and the R142/R188s for the IRT) where the various paint schemes throughout the subway's history are painted on modern NTT's.

The cars would be selected based on where they operate, for example one of the R160's on the (C) could receive the old R1 paint scheme and a R160 on the (N)(Q) could get the old BMT Standard look, while a R160 or R179 on the (J) could get the paint scheme on the gate cars in the transit museum. An NTT on the (M) could get the Q type look, while an R143 on the (L) could get the same look as the old Multisection cars that ran in the 30's and 40's and the list goes on...

Apparently, while I was on a R160 (R) train, my conductor accidentally set it to a Bay Ridge (R) train via Archer Avenue from Jamiaca Center. The announcement went off like this "This is Suphtin Blvd - Archer Avenue - JFK."

But after that, I noticed that the complete find map went blank except for the screen, which only said "Broadway Local (R)." Why is this?

Apparently, while I was on a R160 (R) train, my conductor accidentally set it to a Bay Ridge (R) train via Archer Avenue from Jamiaca Center. The announcement went off like this "This is Suphtin Blvd - Archer Avenue - JFK."

But after that, I noticed that the complete find map went blank except for the screen, which only said "Broadway Local (R)." Why is this?

There is a mode (someone with intricate knowledge of the system can elaborate) where the FIND shows nothing but the train's letter and route or destination. Many TO's used this mode after the 2010 cuts because the transfers weren't updated in time.

I had always felt that Grand Army Plaza was suppose to be an Express station because how huge the platform is on the station.

It was built like that on purpose.

Around that area of Flatbush Av, the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B) and (Q) all run under the street. At that station in particular, you got the platform for the (2) & (3) and under the tracks is the (4) and (5). The (B) and (Q) run under the platform at Grand Army Plaza, between the (4) and (5) tracks.

It was built like that on purpose.

Around that area of Flatbush Av, the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B) and (Q) all run under the street. At that station in particular, you got the platform for the (2) & (3) and under the tracks is the (4) and (5). The (B) and (Q) run under the platform at Grand Army Plaza, between the (4) and (5) tracks.

It sort of feels like Nevins Street (4 stops from Grand Army Plaza) where there were provisions to make it into the express station it is today when it was a local stop a century back.

On a related note, Borough Hall on the (4) and (5) was originally planned to be a 3 track station.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

It sort of feels like Nevins Street where there provisions to make it the express station it is today when it was a local station a century back.

It was supposed to be a triple-tracked line, but I don’t think it was triple-tracked at any point in time. When it was opened for service, the entire line was quadruple-tracked. Plans were altered during the course of construction.

So Prince fans had decorated Prince Street station on the (N) & (R) with tributes to the pop artist. There was a variety of them.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Impromptu-Prince-Tribute-Prince-Street-Station-Lower-Manhattan-NYC-376753571.html

However...

The MTA eventually removed the tributes from the interior and exterior of the station. A worker was also stationed there to make sure no one else put anything up in honor of the musician.