SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Trainmaster, has your Rabbi ever mentioned something about 76th Street?

I've known him for over 30 years and we've talked about many things in transit but we've never discussed it. He's a Bronxite and I'm from Brooklyn so he taught and showed me about the IRT up there while I told him what I learned about the BMT in Brooklyn. He and the T/M used to laugh at me because I spent my whole career in the IRT, except my work train days, but I love the BMT. It's funny because the 3 of us have talked about the Bergen Cut-off, Gun Hill lower, which I worked as a Railroad Porter, and laid up (2) trains there, and the Culver, Myrtle and Fulton St Els in Brooklyn. They were always fascinated that I worked down there provisionally as a 19 year old  Railroad Porter/college student in the late '60's and actually cleaned stations on the Myrtle and Culver Shuttle and that monstrosity at Chambers on the (J), (Z). The joke was I was probably the last porter to try to clean the middle platform at that stop before the Station Supervisor and Transit cop stopped me back in 1968. In all my time down there it was never mentioned by anyone from any division or department even as a joke. I, too, read all of the newspaper clippings that were posted earlier and I've always taken them as proposals, not facts.. With my work train experience and my knowledge of the many bellmouths leading toward proposed extensions and the like I have never heard any official talk about 76th St.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was quite useless and it would be a waste of money. Build a Rosebank station instead.

According to their documents, they saved about $30,000 a year by closing it, most of which was probably just the cost of the few extra runs they had to get people to/from the games. 

I'm not saying it was necessary, but it wasn't completely useless. (I doubt the station really got that decrepit in the past few years. They closed it in 2010 and it's only 2016). 

According to their documents, they saved about $30,000 a year by closing it, most of which was probably just the cost of the few extra runs they had to get people to/from the games. 

I'm not saying it was necessary, but it wasn't completely useless. (I doubt the station really got that decrepit in the past few years. They closed it in 2010 and it's only 2016). 

I know, it seemed orig like a waste to me.

And it's connected to the (7)? Or is it connected by a ladder?

And an update on 76th Street station: I read somewhere that the MTA did some inspecting a few years ago and drilled a hole in the wall of the layup track at Euclid, but water came out and was resealed.

I need to know the answer, it's been bugging me ever since I heard about it. Is there an actual 76th Street station, and why won't the MTA just do us a favor and check? It's beneficial to them because they can extend the yard leads to store more trains, and to us because we will finally know the truth.

Why in the nine hells would the MTA need to do an investigation of their own property, which I'm sure they know a lot better than a bunch of arm chair urban explorers? Why does anyone still think 76th exists, despite there being no evidence?

Why in the nine hells would the MTA need to do an investigation of their own property, which I'm sure they know a lot better than a bunch of arm chair urban explorers? Why does anyone still think 76th exists, despite there being no evidence?

The MTA doesn't know about all of these places!

If these places interact with active tunnels, I'd imagine they have to know about them for maintenance purposes.

I remember seeing a post here a while back they had to put structural reinforcements at 9th Ave LL so the active station won't collapse onto it.

I'm certain the TA knows for a fact weather or not 76th Street Station exists, they just don't care enough to acknowledge it publicly. The agencies responsible for the underground utilities in that neighborhood probably know as well.

It's called the Tomb OV tunnel, and if I don't mix this one up with another tunnel that I have in mind. Apparently it's located above the  (A) line in Manhattan (from what I've heard.)

where in Manhattan? This doesn't say anything about it.

http://ltvsquad.com/2007/01/21/tomb-ov-the-unknown-tunnel/

The fact that the article intentionally witholds information is suspicious to me. The pictures seem real but who knows if they are at this so-called unexplored tunnel or if it is somewhere we have already found?

"It’s almost impossible to find, and for the moment we’re not going to give any real clues. Mysteries like this one keep people exploring."

Please. Just a pathetic excuse to cover up mistruth. If this truly exists then the (MTA) should be aware of it.

I know exactly where this tunnel is and it is nowhere near the A line, especially not in Upper Manhattan. 

The MTA doesn't know about all of these places!

And that proves the existence of 76th Street... how? I'm sure there are many disused tunnels under major world cities, that doesn't mean there "must be secret disused stations" on top of the ones everyone already knows about.

But, fine, if 76th Street exists... produce a newspaper clipping, or a photo, or any actual proof that it exists. And I'm calling bullshit on Tunnel rat's claims. If you find evidence like that, you don't "forget" to copy it, no way.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

And that proves the existence of 76th Street... how? I'm sure there are many disused tunnels under major world cities, that doesn't mean there "must be secret disused stations" on top of the ones everyone already knows about.

But, fine, if 76th Street exists... produce a newspaper clipping, or a photo, or any actual proof that it exists.

So far, I only have evidence that the line was supposed to be built and that there were water problems. I also have evidence by word of mouth which I believe, but doesn't definitively prove it. I keep on searching until it is proven to be real or disproved. I understand why you and many others are skeptical.

I had a conversation with a very high-up TA official about the 76th Street situation some years ago. I figured I had to bring it up given the chance to talk to somebody in his place. His line was this: there's no station, but there are some "very interesting" signals and plans. It's mysterious because it was planned, but there's a hole at best and probably less than that. And, obviously, there's the famous Euclid board.

I have a quick question, how come R44's have the ability to run in a mid matched set, like "A-A-B-A"?

R46*

That's because when the order was made, there was more A cars than B cars. Once they were unified into 4 car sets, the extra A cars became A-A pairs. They run in a 4 car set as A-A-A-A

...except for 6206/7 which became an A-B pair and runs as A-B-A-A or A-A-B-A

-EDIT-

If you're referring to the Staten Island cars, its because all of the cars are singles.

Edited by Fresh Pond

R46*

That's because when the order was made, there was more A cars than B cars. Once they were unified into 4 car sets, the extra A cars became A-A pairs. They run in a 4 car set as A-A-A-A

-EDIT-

If you're referring to the Staten Island cars, its because all of the cars are singles.

On the topic of R46s, are all the A-A sets out of Jamaica?

Edited by onthe1train

R46*

-EDIT-

I saw a similar set at 135th Street yesterday. 

I was talking about the SIR R44's. Wow...never knew they could do that. By the way, is there still 1 converted NYCTA R44 left on SIR or did it get scrapped?

All of the higher numbered units (can't remember the exact cutoff) were TA originals that came over to Staten Island.

I was talking about the SIR R44's. Wow...never knew they could do that. By the way, is there still 1 converted NYCTA R44 left on SIR or did it get scrapped?

There were never recently-converted NYCT R44s on the SIR. That plan was stopped long before it began, which is why there is only 1 set of R44s (5286-5289) left a Coney Island that can't function entirely properly. That is unless you are talking about the ones that came to the SIR from NYCT decades ago, which are still in service.

All of the higher numbered units (can't remember the exact cutoff) were TA originals that came over to Staten Island.

Actually the lower units (388-399) are the ones that came from NYCT.

Edited by RTS9000