SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Well I lean on the doors, and they hose down the cars, so I'm okay with that vs sitting on a wooden pisser.

And on the platform, since it's unlikely for folks to go higher than 5 ft on a steel post, I'm safe leaning on then given that I'm 6'1 and my shoulder is right at that limit. 

But seeing hobos sleeping in benches and that trail of liquid behind their feet says that if God said "Sit here or you're going to hell", I'm finding a real estate agent that specializes in the Second Circle.

I mean, earlier in 2019, people were sitting on anything. True, I saw some other people but sit on the benches, normally I just clean the bench before I sit on it. (given the PATH train benches are usually clean before, I normally don't clean it) @Deucey why do you call them wooden urinals? Also, are there always (2) conductors per train or is there usually just (1)?

On 1/27/2021 at 5:51 PM, trainfan22 said:

They removed the bench on the N/B platform at Union Square on the Broadway line. Personally, I pissed about this cause I use to love sitting at that bench to wait for R68/A N/Q/W trains.

I hate when they remove benches in the system, it's more comfortable to wait for the train sitting down, especially in the summer.

Agreed.... I mean, there's only so much pacing back & forth that I can do.... I can't stand in (one) spot for any prolonged period....

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

As opposed to those fiberglass urinals at the ends of each car?  😉

Thank you.

FWIW, the NYC subway system in & of itself is one huge toilet bowl....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Agreed.... I mean, there's only so much pacing back & forth that I can do.... I can't stand in (one) spot for any prolonged period....

Thank you.

FWIW, the NYC subway system in & of itself is one huge toilet bowl....

I've been around enough drunk NYers to know not to sit on the platform and to not walk on the walkway in the tunnels.

2 hours ago, Stormxx said:

@Deucey why do you call them wooden urinals? Also, are there always (2) conductors per train or is there usually just (1)?

Look down @Stormxx:

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

But seeing hobos sleeping in benches and that trail of liquid behind their feet says that if God said "Sit here or you're going to hell", I'm finding a real estate agent that specializes in the Second Circle.

9 hours ago, Deucey said:
16 hours ago, Deucey said:

Ah. That explains it. For me the benches at 59th st  ((A)(B)(C)(D)(1)) are the worst.

Speaking of the homeless I’ve noticed that before and during covid I’ve never seen homeless people along the 2nd Ave line including Lexington Ave/63rd street. However I’ve seen them at 59th & 86th street on the Lexington Ave lines. I’ve also never seen them along the Central Park West stacked stations as well, but I’ve seen them at 72nd and 96th on the (1)(2)(3) lines. 

23 hours ago, Deucey said:

Well I lean on the doors, and they hose down the cars, so I'm okay with that vs sitting on a wooden pisser.

And on the platform, since it's unlikely for folks to go higher than 5 ft on a steel post, I'm safe leaning on then given that I'm 6'1 and my shoulder is right at that limit. 

Whenever I do use the subway, I don't sit anywhere, including on the subway itself. I just stand. If I have to hold on to the pole, I don't touch anything else until I can wash my hands, which happens immediately regardless, but still.

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Pre covid, I doubt the subway benches were any more dirty than the seats on the subway cars. Covid era I assume the benches get hosed down with a power wash machine when the subway is closed during the overnight hours.

Yes, you assume... lol I won't mention the old saying about assuming... Removing the benches or taking away the backs of the benches is simply a way to deter the homeless from congregating in the stations.  The (MTA) has to be careful about how they address homeless people using the system.  If they are harassed, they can sue the (MTA) (and win). This has happened before. There isn't a thing anyone can do about the bench situation though, so they focus on making it uncomfortable for them.

19 hours ago, Stormxx said:

I mean, earlier in 2019, people were sitting on anything. True, I saw some other people but sit on the benches, normally I just clean the bench before I sit on it. (given the PATH train benches are usually clean before, I normally don't clean it) @Deucey why do you call them wooden urinals? Also, are there always (2) conductors per train or is there usually just (1)?

Where are you from that you don't know about the bench situation?

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Speaking of the homeless I’ve noticed that before and during covid I’ve never seen homeless people along the 2nd Ave line including Lexington Ave/63rd street. However I’ve seen them at 59th & 86th street on the Lexington Ave lines. I’ve also never seen them along the Central Park West stacked stations as well, but I’ve seen them at 72nd and 96th on the (1)(2)(3) lines. 

No because the cops try to keep them out for obvious reasons. Those are the newest stations, so they don't want the homeless congregating in them. They also designed the new Penn Station in a way where there is almost no seats available, and they kept the seating that exists primarily for ticket holders, this way you don't have the homeless sitting there for hours on end. They know what they're doing.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Where are you from that you don't know about the bench situation?

Sorry, if I could make this more clear to you, I would. I don't live in New York, so I may not be AS familiar with the subway as you may be. 

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:
3 hours ago, Stormxx said:

Sorry, if I could make this more clear to you, I would. I don't live in New York, so I may not be AS familiar with the subway as you may be. 

Ahhh, that explains it!! You're forgiven! :lol:

That also explains not just that, but some of the other posts as well lol.

37 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Alstom takes over the warranty and production - unless Alstom negotiated a set-aside leaving Bombardier responsible for the warranties.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

You mean the M7s?

Oh nevermind, why do I always think it was the M9 that Bombardier built.

22 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Alstom takes over the warranty and production - unless Alstom negotiated a set-aside leaving Bombardier responsible for the warranties.

Yeah I was thinking that, but it could've also been that last bit you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Yeah I was thinking that, but it could've also been that last bit you mentioned.

A set-aside would only make sense if Bombardier were keeping some rail manufacturing capabilities to make parts. But in all likelihood they're exiting that (part of the) business, and would just reimburse Alstom if claims exceeded a certain amount over a defined period of time.

3 hours ago, Stormxx said:

No, he means M9's. These are the new cars for the LIRR and MNRR. Here is an article if you want to read about it: https://www.amodernli.com/project/new-m9-rail-cars/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_(railcar) . 

I know what the M9s are, as well as which company won the contract. They have nothing to do with Bombardier.

10 hours ago, Lex said:

I know what the M9s are, as well as which company won the contract. They have nothing to do with Bombardier.

Well, here's something that may have to do with bombardier:

didn't Bombardier make some of the buses for NJ transit? So will Alstom gain control of them?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I'm baffled by the decision to even bring up buses, least of all for a manufacturer that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't built a single bus.

He's doing that internet thing where he was proven wrong and instead of accepting that and learning he's trying to find a win by trying a subject change.

Same thing Trumpers, Berners, and Star Wars geeks do.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

I'm baffled by the decision to even bring up buses, least of all for a manufacturer that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't built a single bus.

Well, I might have gotten mistaken, but Bombardier made some Trains for nj transit.

So Alstom bought Bombardier, huh? I wonder how that'll hold up.

Actually I'm thankful for Alstom buying it out, as the R179's had so many defects.

7 hours ago, Stormxx said:

Well, here's something that may have to do with bombardier:

didn't Bombardier make some of the buses for NJ transit? So will Alstom gain control of them?

Bombardier doesn’t make buses. They’ve made trains for NJ Transit, including the Comet 2, 3, 4 and multi-level push-pull trains, the dual-mode ALP-45DP engines and the electric ALP-46 engines. They’re supposed to be building replacement EMUs for the Arrow 3 trains. They will be based off of and will be able to operate with the multi-level push-pull cars. But Alstom will likely inherit that contract.