SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Bombardier doesn’t make buses. They’ve made trains for NJ Transit, including the Comet 2, 3, 4 and multi-level push-pull trains, the dual-mode ALP-45DP engines and the electric ALP-46 engines. They’re supposed to be building replacement EMUs for the Arrow 3 trains. They will be based off of and will be able to operate with the multi-level push-pull cars. But Alstom will likely inherit that contract. 

Got it. So alstom will resume the work that Bombardier has started?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the benches and certain other aspects of the system, of course they're not going to be 100% clean.  What did some of you expect, to eat caviar off of them? I grew up dealing with all kinds of things and places in a city of several million people, yet still managed to get through life without fear of or contraction of polio, cholera, typhus, malaria, the bubonic plague, coronavirus, etc.

Sure, I wash my hands, but there's a fine line between basic hygiene and unrestrained germophobia.  The world is dirty, but given the choice between being a child about it or being an adult, I choose to be an adult- I wash my hands and don't dwell on what some homeless skell was doing on the bench a day-and-a-half ago at Chambers Street (J)(brownM)(Z).

Edited by R10 2952

59 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

I wash my hands and don't dwell on what some homeless skell was doing on the bench a day-and-a-half ago at Chambers Street (J)(brownM)(Z).

Frankly, at the Chambers Street JMZ, I'm looking up to make sure a chunk of the ceiling doesn't fall on me...

24 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Frankly, at the Chambers Street JMZ, I'm looking up to make sure a chunk of the ceiling doesn't fall on me...

I'm still not sitting on the wooden, metal, or concrete urinals.

I was ecstatic when they got rid of the metal urinals on the SI Ferry bus ramps.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I'm still not sitting on the wooden, metal, or concrete urinals.

I was ecstatic when they got rid of the metal urinals on the SI Ferry bus ramps.

Metal and plastic are at least nonporous. But thick wood can hide all sorts of shit.

For the most part you can wash off germs but bedbugs are forever. The first time I signed a lease out here I was surprised that 6 out of the 50-odd pages of my lease were about what I was responsible for if bedbugs showed up. But having heard the stories I'm not surprised.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Agreed. Chambers Street has got to be the dirtiest station on the (J)(Z) lines, and probably every other line as well. I think I heard that work was being done on the station, but haven't seen any fresh paint coated on the walls yet... (The walls make me throw up)

15 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Regarding the benches and certain other aspects of the system, of course they're not going to be 100% clean.  What did some of you expect, to eat caviar off of them? I grew up dealing with all kinds of things and places in a city of several million people, yet still managed to get through life without fear of or contraction of polio, cholera, typhus, malaria, the bubonic plague, coronavirus, etc.

Sure, I wash my hands, but there's a fine line between basic hygiene and unrestrained germophobia.  The world is dirty, but given the choice between being a child about it or being an adult, I choose to be an adult- I wash my hands and don't dwell on what some homeless skell was doing on the bench a day-and-a-half ago at Chambers Street (J)(brownM)(Z).

Talk to 'em, fam....... Tell em how you really feel....

14 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

For that & other reasons, I can't recall the last time I've actually used that dungeon station myself.....

34 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

For that & other reasons, I can't recall the last time I've actually used that dungeon station myself....

Last time I did was c. 2 years ago - I remember it because it was the night I learned Denny's on Essex Street closed so I could no longer get a Grand Slam with an Alabama Slammer at 1am.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Last time I did was c. 2 years ago - I remember it because it was the night I learned Denny's on Essex Street closed so I could no longer get a Grand Slam with an Alabama Slammer at 1am.

Even outside of the atrocity that that station is, I generally don't use the (J) to get b/w Manhattan & Brooklyn anyway..... Vast majority of my uses on that line are to get b/w Jamaica & back here in Brooklyn...

20 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Even outside of the atrocity that that station is, I generally don't use the (J) to get b/w Manhattan & Brooklyn anyway..... Vast majority of my uses on that line are to get b/w Jamaica & back here in Brooklyn...

I'm probably gonna use it this week to go or come back from getting master keys for apartments I'm gonna list.

And I'll have my Canon with me, so maybe I'll take pics to show if it's still decrepit. 

I just think now how much easier life would've been if I remembered - when I was working for PG when it was still at Greendesk on Grand Street - that I could take (4) to Bk Bridge and get on (J) to Marcy Av there instead of walking to Broad St from the ferry. Could've slept more AND had higher job satisfaction.

But Denny's closing hurt.

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I'm probably gonna use it this week to go or come back from getting master keys for apartments I'm gonna list.

And I'll have my Canon with me, so maybe I'll take pics to show if it's still decrepit. 

I just think now how much easier life would've been if I remembered - when I was working for PG when it was still at Greendesk on Grand Street - that I could take (4) to Bk Bridge and get on (J) to Marcy Av there instead of walking to Broad St from the ferry. Could've slept more AND had higher job satisfaction.

But Denny's closing hurt.

Wasn't it on some ESI shortlist or something recently?

Before: chambers street looked like this: https://nypost.com/2018/05/25/mta-overhauling-forgotten-subway-station-after-post-report/

Now, Chambers street looks like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Chambers_Street_-_Nassau_Line_Platform.jpg

Hardly sense any difference at all. Except a few elevators and ramps here and there. I understand this is a difficult time for the (MTA), and they suspended a bulk of their capital program, but they need to do something about this station. It isnt affecting just us, but imagine the (J)(Z) riders every day having to board a train at Chambers. I really feel sorry for them.

36 minutes ago, Stormxx said:

Before: chambers street looked like this: https://nypost.com/2018/05/25/mta-overhauling-forgotten-subway-station-after-post-report/

Now, Chambers street looks like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Chambers_Street_-_Nassau_Line_Platform.jpg

Hardly sense any difference at all. Except a few elevators and ramps here and there. I understand this is a difficult time for the (MTA), and they suspended a bulk of their capital program, but they need to do something about this station. It isnt affecting just us, but imagine the (J)(Z) riders every day having to board a train at Chambers. I really feel sorry for them.

They cleaned it up but didn't bother with any missing tiles or pieces of the ceiling. Maybe they were out of materials? I'm not sure why they would keep the job incomplete.

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

How come the R143 and R160s didnt come with LCD side signs like the ones on the R142A's?

I’m glad they don’t have them. The signs on the R142/R142A and R188’s tend to fail more, that’s why they were testing out multiple replacement signs on the (7) ‘s R188s. In my opinion they should just replace all the R142/A/R188 signs with the ones on the R143, R160 and R179’s. 

7 minutes ago, Reptile said:

They cleaned it up but didn't bother with any missing tiles or pieces of the ceiling. Maybe they were out of materials? I'm not sure why they would keep the job incomplete.

The station does look slightly better than before but it is still lacking big time. Rehabbing such a big station is very expensive and we all know the MTA’s financial situation.

1 hour ago, Reptile said:

2 hours ago, Stormxx said:

Not aware of this being an ESI job or full renovation. My understanding, this was purely about making it ADA accessible. Elevators + ramps and new concrete / cleaned tiling around the affected portions of the platform. Not a full renovation involving parts of the station separate from the ADA fix-up. Basically, this was about accessibility only, not cleaning up the station. That's also why service continued through unlike a typical ESI or renovation project as we've seen on the Lex and the 4th Ave. 

2 hours ago, Stormxx said:

I don’t wait for a (J) or (Z) there, but if I’m fortunate enough to catch one right away in the morning at Canal (also a pretty shitty station) after walking upstairs from the (N) or (Q), I go through Chambers. And yes, it’s still pretty shitty looking. At least it’s now ADA-compliant thanks to the elevators. Just make sure to exit at the south end of the platforms, because the north end, which leads to Foley Square, still looks as bad as ever and still has no elevator (and probably isn’t going to).

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m glad they don’t have them. The signs on the R142/R142A and R188’s tend to fail more, that’s why they were testing out multiple replacement signs on the (7) ‘s R188s. In my opinion they should just replace all the R142/A/R188 signs with the ones on the R143, R160 and R179’s. 

The station does look slightly better than before but it is still lacking big time. Rehabbing such a big station is very expensive and we all know the MTA’s financial situation.

Agreed there. The side exterior LCD displays on the R142s and R142As look terrible. The R143/160/179 signs are far more readable, even in sunlight. Many of the R142A displays look like they’re splattered. The R188s too. In fact, factory-new R188s should have gotten the R143/160/179 signs installed from the get-go, and the R142As that were converted into R188s should have had their side displays replaced during the conversion process. It would have been the perfect time to do it. But I’m guessing that was one more battle that the bean-counters won. 

33 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The R188s too. In fact, factory-new R188s should have gotten the R143/160/179 signs installed from the get-go, and the R142As that were converted into R188s should have had their side displays replaced during the conversion process. It would have been the perfect time to do it. But I’m guessing that was one more battle that the bean-counters won. 

But are the wires connecting those signs modular - meaning they can be replaced with a LCD sign without running new lines and/or reprogramming the OS?

Edited by Deucey

Ah yes, the (J)(M)(Z).

1.) Whats the difference between the (J) skip stop and a plain old (Z) train?

2.) I saw a (J) skip-stop around 2:00 yesterday, doesn't skip stop service only run during rush hours?

3.) Why did they make the (Z) a thing when the (J) has the same starting and ending point? Also, remember the (J) skip stop. It almost has the same number of stops as the (Z).

4.) Why did they move the (M) to sixth ave? It could've just stayed as a (brownM). That could've worked.

5.) When the (V) was cut back in 2010, they could've done this.

a) they should've kept the (B)(D)(F) as 6th ave, and then made Nassau street (J)(brownM) full time, instead of the (Z) only running part time.( (brownM) local, (J) express)

b) here's my version of the (brownM), starting point Broad St, ending point Forest Hills, but there would be new track going from Metropolitan Ave to Forest hills. 

c) (Z) service would be eliminated.

(this is my opinion)