SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Guest MTA Bus

Do you guys think that the (MTA) should extend the (M) to Jamaica 179 St with more service. The (MTA) should also male More (R) trips to Whitehall St and possibly to the lower level of City Hall which they should renovate. I also think the (MTA) should make a third track on the New Lots Line because there is room for one. THe 4 could run express to New Lots. 

I agree with having (R) trains short turn at Whitehall St. I don't agree with the (M) going to 179th St.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't sound right. I'd have thought that the loop would have a higher capacity then the new station, given that there is no crossovers and thus the trains don't have to wait for each other to crossover, and the driver doesn't need to walk back to the other end of the train, thus saving time. :huh:

The tight speed restrictions through the loop, and the extra delay caused by gap fillers and the occasional passenger bolting from the 10th car to try and exit lower the capacity of the loop terminal. The Stub terminal can platform 2 trains, so in theory once one pulls in, the other can pull out. 

Do you guys think that the (MTA) should extend the (M) to Jamaica 179 St with more service. The (MTA) should also male More (R) trips to Whitehall St and possibly to the lower level of City Hall which they should renovate. I also think the (MTA) should make a third track on the New Lots Line because there is room for one. THe 4 could run express to New Lots.  

The local stops along the Queens Blvd line need more service - this is true. Extending the M would make matters worse, however. Short turn R trains aren't a bad idea. Sunday afternoons the R only visits the local stops along QBL every 12 minutes at best, and I assure you, there's demand for more than that and trains are consistently above loading guidelines. 

I agree what on Grand Concourse and MTA Bus said about your ideas. Constucting a middle track between Utica Av and New Lots Av would take more than a year since you got to build the structure to support the track. It would also cause frequent shutdowns on the New Lots Av line which people would not like since thay are losing train service. If they decide to run (3) train service through the constuction area. The trains would have to run less than 10 miles per hour through the area which can increase travel time. The neighborhood would complain about the noise that the construction would make. I don't think there is a demand for express service on the New Lots Av line since the (3) can handle the crowds prefectly. I think that extending the (M) to 179 st would be a waste of money. Hillside riders want express service to Manhattan and most of Hillside riders would still take the (E)  (F)  instead of the (M). Many of the Hillside riders come from buses that serves areas that lack subway service. They want to have a faster ride to Manhattan rather than sitting on the train that is making all local stops. I think City Hall lower level should be kept at its current state because it would be unneccesary to bring it back because we already have Whitehall st to short turn trains just like what the other say. It will be a waste of money to bring back City Hall lower level since the MTA has better ideas on where it's money should be spent to provide better service not on stupid ideas. I also think we can have more short turn ®'s terminating a whitehall St to reduce crowding on the local stations on Queen Blvd during the weekend.

Guest Lance

How many (6) trains in the PM rush go express in Manhattan?

None scheduled. That obviously doesn't mean it doesn't happen on trains that run late, but as Gordon said above, they probably won't run the entire line as an express.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what causes that crazy grinding noise on R142As when braking again? I figure it's shot brake pads, but not sure. Been on two trains in the morning past two days with it so bad that the entire car shook while the train slowed...

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what causes that crazy grinding noise on R142As when braking again? I figure it's shot brake pads, but not sure. Been on two trains in the morning past two days with it so bad that the entire car shook while the train slowed...

Think you answered your own question. It must have to do with brakes or very much more likely flat spots on the wheels. Most of the R142As will be overhauled then they are going to the (7) so apparenly the MTA isn't that worried about maintainance of these NTT's in the shops until around the time when the R188's begin to be deployed into the IRT via the Flushing line. That's my theory anyway.

Just take a look at this...

Sorry 4P3607, sometimes you just gotta look back at these things and laugh, you still cool peoples in my book

I did not know that existed. That was incredible. Turtleman, I salute you for linking me to that.

Edited by MHV9218