SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There SMSing the R68A?s f**k... I liked them sounding like R44s.

What do they sound the same in? I haven't ridden the R44s much so I'm not familiar with their sound.

I welcome the SMS though. They sound so much quieter compared to the rest of the R68As.

From Subchat, thanks to Train Man Paul and Olog-Hai  for the hat tip: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1217741

Thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311791/Subway-chaos-caught-camera-NYPD-arrest-Muslim-teen-allegedly-threatening-abusing-Jewish-rider.html

Chaos broke out on the New York subway on Monday when police arrested a Muslim teenager accused of threatening and making anti-semitic taunts towards a Jewish man, reportedly telling him ‘They should have killed all of you.’ 

When a pair of NYPD officers arrived to arrest Stephan Stowe, 17, in Brooklyn they had trouble detaining him and the platform filled with an angry mob, loudly shouting at police and filming the arrest on cellphones.

Police then wrestled 22-year-woman Sheniqua Joseph to the ground after she got involved in the incident. She has been charged with disorderly conduct while Stowe was arraigned for hate crimes.

According to the New York Daily News, the incident allegedly began around 3 pm on Monday when Stowe approached a rider wearing a yarmulke on the 3 train in Brooklyn.

Court documents state that Stowe said 'Assalamu Alaikum', an Islamic phrase that means 'Peace be with you', to the Jewish man.

The 17-year-old allegedly became aggressive when he received no reply and said 'You think you're better than me? We are cousins.'

The Jewish rider allegedly disagreed and told Stowe to leave him alone. The teenager reportedly then starting using ethnic slurs and saying that the man was disrespectful, according to legal papers.

Police sources state the man took out his cellphone and photographed Stowe who then grabbed the device and deleted the image.

According to records, Stowe then said 'I'm going to kill you right now,' swore at the man and added: 'They should have killed all of you.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CDNRL_ixsOs

Edited by realizm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, How do you feel about extending the 6 to the South Ferry Outer Loop during Rush Hours.

Welcome to the board! Not to be rude to a new member of the board, but - uh - That's a horrible idea! But discussion is always welcome, at least to me, so please don't let this bullet-point takedown discourage you from future posts. Here we go:

Actually - to be fair, strictly from a route standpoint it would be a bonus to riders connecting from the SI ferry going to the east side, but from a logistics situation, it would have negative effects on a lot of the system. I'll try to detail the reasons why:

• During rush hours, the (1) runs at 19 Trains Per Hour (or TPH). The 6 runs at least 24 tph during rush hours, one of the highest frequencies in the system. The capacity of the loop is somewhat debated - but the terminal destroyed by sandy had a 24 TPH capacity, and it's generally agreed the loop has a lower capacity. To combine both these services onto one loop platform terminal would require cutting both to 12tph or lower - a serious service reduction for both lines. Unless you "put-in" additional trains starting at other places along the line, the result would be chaos, and even with added trains this would be no walk in the park. 
  •  
  • To reach South Ferry, the 6 would have to share the pair of tracks that the 4 and 5 use between Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green. During Rush Hours, the 4 and 5 both run at about 15tph - together reaching 30 trains per hour which I believe is the capacity of that section of line. Adding the 6 would take it to 54 trains per hour, well beyond any capacity anywhere in the system. Track capacity is limited by the fixed-block signaling system - I won't go into a whole primer on subway traffic control here, but there are fixed segments of track that only one train can be in at a time, and this generally puts an upper limit of 30-40tph on any one segment of track. (anyone, correct me if there is track that can handle more). It's worth noting that the true limiting factor on trains per hour is the termini of the line. 
  •  
  • Why extend service when the walk to the 30 trains per hour at bowling green is so short? Yes, there are some people that would benefit from the change, but one has to think pragmatically bout service. With the transit system we have in this city, in most cases, you can't add something without taking something away, or building something new. 

So - there's what I think of that :-D I hope this doesn't discourage you from posting. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

Do you guys think that the (MTA) should extend the (M) to Jamaica 179 St with more service. The (MTA) should also male More (R) trips to Whitehall St and possibly to the lower level of City Hall which they should renovate. I also think the (MTA) should make a third track on the New Lots Line because there is room for one. THe 4 could run express to New Lots.  

Perhaps have some (5),s go there.I was also wondering whats the capacity at the loop terminal.Seems like it can handle pretty close to what the the newer terminal could do.

I've heard 21-22tph as compared to the new terminals 24. There's a NY1 article about the stub terminal opening which quotes a transit official as saying the loop's capacity is 16 or 17 tph. The line currently runs 15 tph at peak hours if I'm not mistaken.

I've heard 21-22tph as compared to the new terminals 24. There's a NY1 article about the stub terminal opening which quotes a transit official as saying the loop's capacity is 16 or 17 tph. The line currently runs 15 tph at peak hours if I'm not mistaken.

That sounds about right. I did research on that recently from a couple of sources and I got the same stats.

This doesn't sound right. I'd have thought that the loop would have a higher capacity then the new station, given that there is no crossovers and thus the trains don't have to wait for each other to crossover, and the driver doesn't need to walk back to the other end of the train, thus saving time. :huh:

This doesn't sound right. I'd have thought that the loop would have a higher capacity then the new station, given that there is no crossovers and thus the trains don't have to wait for each other to crossover, and the driver doesn't need to walk back to the other end of the train, thus saving time. :huh:

Looking at the most simplistic scenario... loop station=1(actually1/2) train... new station=2 trains which doesn't take dwell time into account in either case. I  also don't believe the same "driver" is walking back to the other end of the train during peak hours but I could be mistaken. From a personal perspective, working the (1) line infrequently early in my career, the new station would have been a god-send. Nothing worse than operating a crappy (1) from 137th St or 242nd St and having to operate from the same end around the ferry loop and back north. I'd rather change ends at the south terminal and take my chances. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5

Do you guys think that the (MTA) should extend the (M) to Jamaica 179 St with more service. The (MTA) should also male More (R) trips to Whitehall St and possibly to the lower level of City Hall which they should renovate. I also think the (MTA) should make a third track on the New Lots Line because there is room for one. THe 4 could run express to New Lots.

no, no one is going to stay on the M and just get off at the next express stop for the F. You will have empty trains for nothing. Why would you need to reopen the lower level of city hall? It's abandoned and currently used to store some trains. That is what Whitehall is for if you need to short turn some trains.

People would not like having a 3rd track running thru their neighborhood. It's the same reason why there isn't a 3rd set of tracks on Jamaica av on the J. Plus what good would it be If the line has no stops in between the Utica av and new lots stops? Not going to happen.

no, no one is going to stay on the M and just get off at the next express stop for the F. You will have empty trains for nothing. Why would you need to reopen the lower level of city hall? It's abandoned and currently used to store some trains. That is what Whitehall is for if you need to short turn some trains.

People would not like having a 3rd track running thru their neighborhood. It's the same reason why there isn't a 3rd set of tracks on Jamaica av on the J. Plus what good would it be If the line has no stops in between the Utica av and new lots stops? Not going to happen.

Shit it was never open in the first place lol