SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Speaking of the R62A (6) train, yesterday at Union Square it pulls into the downtown local track, though the doors don't open. Then I had noticed no one was in the first car except firefighters with some gear (picks and other stuff). The T/O had his cab door open and he keyed open the door to let the firefighters out. I couldn't really see the train when it left due to express trains blocking my sight (I was on the other side), but it did seem that there were a few passengers in the middle of the train, though the train was basically empty. Shortly after when I did go onto the other side (the local side of the platform was PACKED (then again, it was rush hour although the train was definetly late)), over the PA I heard "After an earlier incident, there are delays in downtown (6) train service. Select (6) trains are running express from 14 Street Union Square -to- Brooklyn Bridge". A packed downtown local (6) did pull in, along with a (6) on the express track right after. Another 2 (6) s did go express, then (6)s were running local again. Im wondering, did something happen with the R62A (6) yesterday? Not only was it late, but that thing with the firefighters and the announcement about delays. Sure seems like something did...

Also, a few (C) s got sent up 8 Ave exp due to switch problems at Canal (switch or signal, it seemed like switch but announcements said signal and switch), only about 3-4 (C) s went exp. Felt like summer again with the R32s on the express and the AC on. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How often does non-emergency G/O not make it to the service changes advisories?

I just find it odd to see track panels, crane and other equipment by Brighton Beach station, and yet no track work is scheduled for the line.

They could simply just re route (Q) train to the express track... since Brighton Beach and Ocean Parkway both have island platforms service is  not affected, just stopping on a different track, thus no need to put up a service advisory on the site.

My afternoon in the subway on the (J) and (4).

The (J) was doing some skip-stops due to lateness as there was another (J) right behind that was about two minutes apart. I don't know what caused this. Then I caught an R42, rode it from Norwood to Jamaica Center then RFW'ed it to Broad.

Then on the (4), as usual at rush hour it and the (5) are so slow...There was another (4) right infront of the one I was on. We made a connection to the (3) at Franklin and my (4) crawl all the way to Utica. However, the (3), although it got ahead out of Franklin, got held at Utica for who knows what reason....

The End....

This is primarily an LIRR thought, but why does :"new" rail look dirty?  I know that passing trains are supposed to "polish" the rails.

I was under the impression the rails generally get a coating of rust when no trains run over them. It's harmless; gets worn off.

I was under the impression the rails generally get a coating of rust when no trains run over them. It's harmless; gets worn off.

I believe it's the same concept with brake rotors on cars, it'll rust up when not in use.  But once in use, it'll look new afterwards.

My afternoon in the subway on the (J) and (4).

The (J) was doing some skip-stops due to lateness as there was another (J) right behind that was about two minutes apart. I don't know what caused this. Then I caught an R42, rode it from Norwood to Jamaica Center then RFW'ed it to Broad.

Then on the (4), as usual at rush hour it and the (5) are so slow...There was another (4) right infront of the one I was on. We made a connection to the (3) at Franklin and my (4) crawl all the way to Utica. However, the (3), although it got ahead out of Franklin, got held at Utica for who knows what reason....

The End....

Traveld on a (5) to Utica today.Pretty Similair to what your are saying.Sometimes I feel they should send a (4) or (5) via the local track from Franklin to Utica. But that's just me.

There's a guy on Subchat looking to make a documentary on Darius McCollum...

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1217214

Seeking New Yorkers, especially subway buffs, who are familiar with Darius McCollum's exploits and would be interested in commenting on camera about Darius for a documentary film. Thanks!

Oh boy.

Speaking of subchat, omg at all the 'extend the subway to SI' posts there. How about worry about getting the other side of the island up and ready with rail service and then worry about a connection to Brooklyn? And also why send the subway there when service is already spotty? Can't SIRT spare a few extra trains to send to Brooklyn and riders transfer for the express? 

It seems some R68As have been spruced up. Car numbers are 5085-5088, and another four-car set containing 5193 and 5194. Besides their trucks and underbodies being mostly polished, they seem to be the first ones to get their bonnets repainted. The paint they used is much better - very faithful to the original color unlike the silver on the R68s.

p1260337.jpg

p1260306.jpg