SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The city gives the TA money for the student metrocards.

That's the way it should be...but unfortunately those cards are subsidized by the TA when it's the DOE's job to pay for student transportation. That's why they were gonna get cut a few years ago, the TA was getting sick of paying for them and asked the city to pay for them. They wouldn't so they were gonna get cut to half fare only, then parents and the teachers union fought to keep them.

That's the way it should be...but unfortunately those cards are subsidized by the TA when it's the DOE's job to pay for student transportation. That's why they were gonna get cut a few years ago, the TA was getting sick of paying for them and asked the city to pay for them. They wouldn't so they were gonna get cut to half fare only, then parents and the teachers union fought to keep them.

That's not what happened. The state cut its subsidies a few years ago, so there was a scramble for funding. The city and state now pay around 30% of the bill.

That's not what happened. The state cut its subsidies a few years ago, so there was a scramble for funding. The city and state now pay around 30% of the bill.

Also the state while the MTA covers the remainder (operation and maintenance costs) through fare collection revenue. In other words the MTA must pay for car or bus fleet maintenance, salaries, Fastracks etc themselves while mega projects with +SBS+ routes, Second Avenue Subway, (7) extension etc etc. are paid for mostly with federal, city or state dollars. (Exception being the Sandy recovery work, paid for by the US goverment)

Edited by realizm

I wonder how the MTA survives like that. Not related to subway, but in the mornings, I ride the Q25/34 to Holly Avenue at I.S. 237. I swear that almost 1/2 of the people on the bus were students going to I.S. 237, and so the TA were basikally paying for all tose people? (my keyboard malfuntioned so I ope u kan read typos.

I wonder how the MTA survives like that. Not related to subway, but in the mornings, I ride the Q25/34 to Holly Avenue at I.S. 237. I swear that almost 1/2 of the people on the bus were students going to I.S. 237, and so the TA were basikally paying for all tose people? (my keyboard malfuntioned so I ope u kan read typos.

I see. According to the NYDOE: http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/Transportation/ServicesAndEligibility/StudentMetroCards/default.htm

"Students not eligible for full fare transportation may be issued a half fare student MetroCard by the office in their school that distributes MetroCards. Half fare MetroCards are provided as a courtesy by the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and are good for use on buses only."

The MTA is paying for this from fare collection revenue. Which means lol I am paying for this everytime I swipe my metrocard! Man...

The city needs to pay 100%. If they (DOE) get state or fed money for it that's fine, but the money needs to be coming from the DOE. The DOE is taking advantage of the MTA and the fare paying customers like you and me and the MTA should put the blame where it needs to be, tell the parents and unions to bother the DOE next time they think about discontinuing the student cards if the city doesn't pay for them. They pay for cheese buses for the younger kids and should be paying for public transportation for their students too.

Not against free student metros at all, I'm against the city taking advantage of the MTA and their riders when they should be paying for them.

The city needs to pay 100%. If they (DOE) get state or fed money for it that's fine, but the money needs to be coming from the DOE. The DOE is taking advantage of the MTA and the fare paying customers like you and me and the MTA should put the blame where it needs to be, tell the parents and unions to bother the DOE next time they think about discontinuing the student cards if the city doesn't pay for them. They pay for cheese buses for the younger kids and should be paying for public transportation for their students too.

Not against free student metros at all, I'm against the city taking advantage of the MTA and their riders when they should be paying for them.

The city, and specifically the DOE, has no money. The state has tons of money, and part of it is because they've stolen tax revenues from the MTA for themselves. The state should do what's right and return the MTA's own funding, and also pay for this program.

The city, and specifically the DOE, has no money. The state has tons of money, and part of it is because they've stolen tax revenues from the MTA for themselves. The state should do what's right and return the MTA's own funding, and also pay for this program.

I have to disagree on that one. Yes cuts in education were made but not to public schools but the city universities (CUNY). They are opening public schools which is great BUT look at the college tuition costs in CUNY. It went out the roof! See what happened? They stole from CUNY to pay the NYDOE! This was on the federal level with the US Department of Education who funds the schools and city colleges.

Furthermore there is tons of wasted spending in the NYDOE because of the educrats in the administrative offices. Think of why many teachers who are tenured were forced out of the schools? Because the NYDOE with Bloomberg wanted to downsize the workforce, not pay the pensions and pay pennies to new teaching college grads. Because they screwed up and wasted dollars which is now unaccounted for. The new teachers will NOT recieve decent pensions as the tenured teachers used to do. Greed on the part of the state.

I mean seriously the NYDOE cant pay for student metrocards? Unlike the MTA, the NYDOE is an agency and gets full funding 100% from federal city and state. 

If thats the arrangement the MTA made then fine I guess they are on top of things with how to pay for student metrocards from its own fare collection revenue and profits gained.

That said because of the recent trends, it not a good idea for college students to aim for teaching as a career anymore. Not a stable field after what Wallcott and Bloomberg did...

Edited by realizm

Oh those crazy kids are at it again with the breakdancing on the trains, this time on the (Q) line. From 34th to 14th. I knew they were gonna start due to the express run

Yes I know exactly who you are talking about. They usually start at Queensboro Plaza. I stared at one of the kids hard, they went into the next car afterwards. I was not in the mood for no showtime (As much as I respect hip hop art theres a place to perform breaks and subway cars are not one of them, at rush hour at that!)

Yo what the hell!? Might as well start a subway bedbug random thoughts thread on here: http://pix11.com/2014/09/06/another-bedbug-report-pulls-r-train-out-of-service-photo/

"NEW YORK (PIX11) - Yet another bedbug sighting has straphangers watching where they sit and the MTA scrambling to rid the cars of any possible blood-sucking critters.

Billy Grijalva told PIX11 he was riding a Bay Ridge-bound R train Saturday afternoon when he spotted one of the icky insects as the train stopped at DeKalb Avenue."

First the N some other lines now the R! Wow..

Edited by realizm

>Goes into Brooklyn IRT at Alantic Barklays.

>Looks at countdown clock, sees 4 will arrive first before the 2 and 3.

>Goes on the 4.

>Goes through slow zone on express tracks, 3 flys by 4 train beats it at Borough Hall.

>Late for class

>FUUUUUUUU!!!

Edited by realizm

Yes I know exactly who you are talking about. They usually start at Queensboro Plaza. I stared at one of the kids hard, they went into the next car afterwards. I was not in the mood for no showtime (As much as I respect hip hop art theres a place to perform breaks and subway cars are not one of them, at rush hour at that!)

Also on QBL between Roosevelt and 71 Av, long express runs are where you expect them.

Edited by Union Tpke

Yo what the hell!? Might as well start a subway bedbug random thoughts thread on here: http://pix11.com/2014/09/06/another-bedbug-report-pulls-r-train-out-of-service-photo/

"NEW YORK (PIX11) - Yet another bedbug sighting has straphangers watching where they sit and the MTA scrambling to rid the cars of any possible blood-sucking critters.

Billy Grijalva told PIX11 he was riding a Bay Ridge-bound R train Saturday afternoon when he spotted one of the icky insects as the train stopped at DeKalb Avenue."

First the N some other lines now the R! Wow..

Honestly, I feel like there will always be a handful of bedbugs on the subway because there will always be a handful of people bringing them ON to the subway. 

There aren't great places for them to hide, and they usually run from light, and generally don't feed on the awake - so i feel like it would be very hard for a subway car to truly get infested. 

I've FINALLY rode on an R188 (7) train.

How many R188s are in service as of now? I'm sure wikipedia isn't being updated. Also, about half of the (7) trains i saw were R188s.

they aren't updating wikipedia because when anyone puts it at the actual total they point to Joe Kornor's data sheet and undo the edit.

Well if I am correct (The 7 is not my home line since I live in Brooklyn so its hard to keep track of the fleet) the last set of new R188s are now in service, 7261-7270 with 7904, and 7888-7898 (7899 is the first of the C cars for the conversion sets). The rest therefore should be conversions.  I think as of now it should be ten sets in service, there was supposed to be two more new sets but the MTA decided to make the rest conversions to save money apparently.

7211-7590 will be converted cars, not sure if 7591-7810 will become converted cars or are to remain on the 6 (ten sets). The roster on Joe Kormans site is not updated to reflect the change either since that last new set of R188s that are not conversion cars were just introduced to the 7. I guess thats what the wikipedia writers are waiting on since they source from his site or nycsubway.org

Nowhere near Corona Yard to check as I type but thats what I know.

Edited by realizm

Well if I am correct (The 7 is not my home line since I live in Brooklyn so its hard to keep track of the fleet) the last set of new R188s are now in service, 7261-7270 with 7904, and 7888-7898 (7899 is the first of the C cars for the conversion sets). The rest therefore should be conversions.  I think as of now it should be ten sets in service, there was supposed to be two more new sets but the MTA decided to make the rest conversions to save money apparently.

7211-7590 will be converted cars, not sure if 7591-7810 will become converted cars or are to remain on the 6 (ten sets). The roster on Joe Kormans site is not updated to reflect the change either since that last new set of R188s that are not conversion cars were just introduced to the 7. I guess thats what the wikipedia writers are waiting on since they source from his site or nycsubway.org

Nowhere near Corona Yard to check as I type but thats what I know.

All that's know is that R142A cars #7651-7810 from the (4) line will NOT be converted to R188's. There could convert what would be left of the (6) after the main conversions are done, but it's highly unlikely it will happen as the remaining R142A's on the (6) will still stick around on that line.