BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda madd the entire Prevost order doesn't have the new seat types like 1557-1586 has. The seats are very comfortable and the leg room in the back half of the bus has some great legroom and the seats recline significantly. 

Its unfortunate that the front part of the bus has such bad legroom. The regular batch of Prevost have the legroom more evenly spaced between the rows, but it's not as good as the back half of 1557-1586. 

27 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm kinda madd the entire Prevost order doesn't have the new seat types like 1557-1586 has. The seats are very comfortable and the leg room in the back half of the bus has some great legroom and the seats recline significantly. 

Its unfortunate that the front part of the bus has such bad legroom. The regular batch of Prevost have the legroom more evenly spaced between the rows, but it's not as good as the back half of 1557-1586. 

What depots have that batch? I wanna see how they are compared to the original batch.

24 minutes ago, NBTA said:

What depots have that batch? I wanna see how they are compared to the original batch.

52 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So the option order for NYCTA don't have that (#1607-1629+ #1587-1606)? It's interesting that the MTA had spec'd the NYCTA units differently than the MTA bus company units. They haven't done that with earlier bus orders with the possible exception of the 2015-16 New Flyer XD60 artics #5364-5438, although they were of a different vintage than the other orders.

1 hour ago, Joel Powers said:

So the option order for NYCTA don't have that (#1607-1629+ #1587-1606)? It's interesting that the MTA had spec'd the NYCTA units differently than the MTA bus company units. They haven't done that with earlier bus orders with the possible exception of the 2015-16 New Flyer XD60 artics #5364-5438, although they were of a different vintage than the other orders.

The 2014-2015 xd40s have different seat types at (MTA) Bus vs NYCT.

2 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

They've been doing dual specs for a while..... look at the 4300s with that stanchion pole by the farebox, makes boading and alighting a pain in the neck, vs the 3000s, no pole no problem.

17 minutes ago, Joel Powers said:

#7438-7482 you mean?

Yes, seats are different and the destination code display for bus operators (blue and white for NYCT vs black/grey for MTA Bus). 

--

8842 and 8849 are at Casey Stengel by the Wilets Pt walkway. However, they may be training buses to when Stengel be receiving their own units. 

Edited by Calvin

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

They are all out of Meredith. You can catch them easily on the SIM15 and SIM30, but they pop up on the SIM4X, SIM32, SIM33, and SIM34 on a regular too. 

9 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Nope, the option order has the regular seats. Charleston just started received their batch of 1607-1629, and they are the regular seats. I haven't been on them yet but I can see the seating is like the 2015 buses.

I just had to make that comment because as I was walking down the bus this morning the seats all in the rear of the bus have significant amounts of legroom then when you get to just past the wheelchair seats the legroom distance just gets cut in like half, especially on the left side behind the driver. That's where all the complaints stemmed. It's almost as if they were trying to spec to accommodate less than 57 seats, and then halfway they realized they needed to add another row and sacrificed the first half of the bus with whatever leftover space they had. Obviously I'm sure that's not the case. 

Anyways, I'm gonna enjoy myself lounging in the back half seats of those buses during my commute. Everyone runs to the back seats now I've noticed. The back fills up faster than the front. 

P.S. Yall not gonna believe what depot they have the new Q44 proposed to run out of when the redesign starts. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

P.S. Yall not gonna believe what depot they have the new Q44 proposed to run out of when the redesign starts. 

Wait

Which redesign are you specifically talking about? Even though it may be obvious but still if it's this depot or that depot then it's gonna be interesting.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

As far as it goes, if the Q44 isn't out of West Farms (because I would certainly like to see CNGs on the Q44) in the end, then I don't care LOL.

Even with the existing route, it should have been based out of either West Farms or Jamaica, but there would have to be a shuffling if that was the case. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

20 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Jamaica should be preparing to get artics by 2023-24 so I'm expecting that to happen

Yep.

Which makes the most sense, that lowers the deadhead time by a ton from Jamaica, as most of the Q44s deadhead from Jamaica to Stengel as it is.

But it's also a matter of when the work at Jamaica will begin.

2 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

It's crazy how soon we will have LFS's replacing LFS's and XD40s replacing XD40s. The industry needs to introduce a new heavy-duty transit bus model for some variety. 

Yes, because f*ck logistics...

4 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

It's crazy how soon we will have LFS's replacing LFS's and XD40s replacing XD40s. The industry needs to introduce a new heavy-duty transit bus model for some variety. 

You mean Next Gen Hybrids? CS is getting their Nova batch to replace the Hybrid buses moving to MTA Bus. Jamaica, on the other hand, their XD-40s may be out of Brooklyn. 

4 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

No. And I hope you mean like 15 years down the line (for the bold line). It probably won’t be LFS diesels, probably hybrids or electrics, same with the xcelsior series.