BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What 4th gear? The Allison VR-731 is a 3 speed transmission (1st, 2nd, 2nd lockup, 3rd)...what you probably heard was the the transmission slip into 3rd gear...may sound good to us but it usually means the transmission is about to give out

Theres a bunch of them that do that like (from what I've encountered)...

8884 (before they retired it, damn that one sounded good lol), 9179, 5140, 8832, 9607, 8888 (before they fixed it)

9397 & 5114 have no 2nd lockup and they soind good (espically 9397 :))

The V-731 Tranny Is just 3 Gears? I probably got it confused since I thought was lockup was something else in the transmission.

As for the second part I already got the hint from other buses I've seen. One for instance would be #9354. It actually one of the best sounding 2nd gears in the RTS fleet. However they fixed it last winter. Hasn't been the same way since. Another would be #9371 making an similar sound in 2nd & 3rd gears. Eventually for the 2nd gear it got fixed. I had a feeling they'd fix it because I saw it parked on Hoarce Harding Expressway with it's rear engine panel/door open.

What happened to the Q38? All the drivers I used to know are now gone, and it didn't go to LGA...

It looks like QV is now mosltly out with the old and in with the new... All I see on the Q88 now are Xcelsiors & a few LFS (and if i'm lucky i'll see a 3G here and there)

The V-731 Tranny Is just 3 Gears? I probably got it confused since I thought was lockup was something else in the transmission.

As for the second part I already got the hint from other buses I've seen. One for instance would be #9354. It actually one of the best sounding 2nd gears in the RTS fleet. However they fixed it last winter. Hasn't been the same way since. Another would be #9371 making an similar sound in 2nd & 3rd gears. Eventually for the 2nd gear it got fixed. I had a feeling they'd fix it because I saw it parked on Hoarce Harding Expressway with it's rear engine panel/door open.

I'm not gonna lie, i thought it was a 4 speed transmission as well

Well now that we have bus tracking on Staten Island, I guess the new thing the B/Os will do is blow by the stops... That's what happened tonight on the X10. We reach Park Ave. South and 22nd street and the B/O stays in the left lane and just blows right by the stop. The folks waiting at the stop (two or three women put their hands out) trying to wave down the bus, but he continues and is caught at the light at 21st and Park Ave South. The folks waiting then run down to the corner and knock on the door and the B/O then became irritated talking about how he wasn't getting into an accident by letting them on in the middle of the street and opened the door to tell them so. Well let's see, if he stopped at the actual stop that wouldn't have been a problem, but okay fine, safety first. The real kicker is instead of pulling to an area where he could pull to the curb and let the folks on who he had blown by, he had one passenger run almost three blocks before he stopped. The other two forced their way on when he opened the door the first time but the the third passenger got caught in between and figured he would pull to the curb further up and let on her there. I actually went to the front of the bus and got into it with him and demanded that he stopped the bus and let the women on. He's talking he can't get to the curb to let her on, meantime he's steadily speeding along, making his way to the next stop... After I told him off about blowing past the stop and how he has to let her on he felt a bit cheap and finally made his way to an area where the lady could get on. If you're trying to move to another lane to pull over to the curb, you generally slow down, not speed up. One of the ladies who forced her way on the bus the first time he opened the door and said he wasn't getting into an accident to let them on thanked me for speaking up.

To his credit though the cabs were refusing to let him into right lane, but you can't try to pull into the right lane in the middle of the street like that. Not happening. Why stay in the left lane if you know you've got to make stops? Bad move all around. :tdown:

Well now that we have bus tracking on Staten Island, I guess the new thing the B/Os will do is blow by the stops... That's what happened tonight on the X10. We reach Park Ave. South and 22nd street and the B/O stays in the left lane and just blows right by the stop. The folks waiting at the stop (two or three women put their hands out) trying to wave down the bus, but he continues and is caught at the light at 21st and Park Ave South. The folks waiting then run down to the corner and knock on the door and the B/O then became irritated talking about how he wasn't getting into an accident by letting them on in the middle of the street and opened the door to tell them so. Well let's see, if he stopped at the actual stop that wouldn't have been a problem, but okay fine, safety first. The real kicker is instead of pulling to an area where he could pull to the curb and let the folks on who he had blown by, he had one passenger run almost three blocks before he stopped. The other two forced their way on when he opened the door the first time but the the third passenger got caught in between and figured he would pull to the curb further up and let on her there. I actually went to the front of the bus and got into it with him and demanded that he stopped the bus and let the women on. He's talking he can't get to the curb to let her on, meantime he's steadily speeding along, making his way to the next stop... After I told him off about blowing past the stop and how he has to let her on he felt a bit cheap and finally made his way to an area where the lady could get on. If you're trying to move to another lane to pull over to the curb, you generally slow down, not speed up. One of the ladies who forced her way on the bus the first time he opened the door and said he wasn't getting into an accident to let them on thanked me for speaking up.

To his credit though the cabs were refusing to let him into right lane, but you can't try to pull into the right lane in the middle of the street like that. Not happening. Why stay in the left lane if you know you've got to make stops? Bad move all around. :tdown:

So you’re pissed that the driver made a decided to be safe instead of boarding passengers where they could have been injured. I mean I would do everything in my power to get into the bus stop but if it not happening it not happening. I was not there so I can’t comment but many people don't see the whole picture which we are trained to do as professionals. Was there a fire truck or other emergency vehicle that had it lights and sirens on? Was there another X10 right behind him but everyone was so focus on seeing a X10 that it blinded you and the others from seeing the other X10 right behind it. I rather complaints then having someone step out in the street and possible get injured or even killed all for a bus. I know the feeling of waiting for a bus in the cold. It really sucks, and when you see your bus it the only thing in the world that matters and you say to yourself thank god, I hope it warm inside and there a seat. Once again I was not there nor do I know who was right or wrong, all I have to say before jumping to conclusion make sure you look at the whole picture. Remember SAFETY FIRST and I’m taking about yours not mine. If the guy was an ass i apologizes but don't classify me or the other 7000 operators as a--holes. The MTA don't want to hear that we were being nice guys when someone falls on my stairs out of a bus stop, I know the chances are slim to none but i wont take that chance. It's nothing personal but im not risking my pay ,benefits, pension etc... nor would i ask you to jeopardize your lively hood for my benefit of a mere 20 minutes or what ever the head ways were at the time

P.S. I have no intention of starting a flame war here, just a view from a MTA Bus Operator.

Edited by Noflexdont

So you’re pissed that the driver made a decided to be safe instead of boarding passengers where they could have been injured. I mean I would do everything in my power to get into the bus stop but if it not happening it not happening. I was not there so I can’t comment but many people don't see the whole picture which we are trained to do as professionals. Was there a fire truck or other emergency vehicle that had it lights and sirens on? Was there another X10 right behind him but everyone was so focus on seeing a X10 that it blinded you and the others from seeing the other X10 right behind it. I rather complaints then having someone step out in the street and possible get injured or even killed all for a bus. I know the feeling of waiting for a bus in the cold. It really sucks, and when you see your bus it the only thing in the world that matters and you say to yourself thank god, I hope it warm inside and there a seat. Once again I was not there nor do I know who was right or wrong, all I have to say before jumping to conclusion make sure you look at the whole picture. Remember SAFETY FIRST and I’m taking about yours not mine. If the guy was an ass i apologizes but don't classify me or the other 7000 operators as a--holes. The MTA don't want to hear that we were being nice guys when someone falls on my stairs out of a bus stop, I know the chances are slim to none but i wont take that chance. It's nothing personal but im not risking my pay ,benefits, pension etc... nor would i ask you to jeopardize your lively hood for my benefit of a mere 20 minutes or what ever the head ways were at the time

P.S. I have no intention of starting a flame war here, just a view from a MTA Bus Operator.

No, I clearly stated in my previous post that I agreed with him that he shouldn't have let them on in the middle of the street, BUT don't complain about why they're running after you and how dangerous it is when HE blew past the stop... Make a wrong a right and get to the curb so that you pick up the passengers that you just blew past and do so safely. He clearly knew that the lady he didn't pick up had the understanding that he was going to pick her up near the curb, hence why she kept running and looking for a spot to wait for him near the curbside. Where I got pissed at was he kept driving along or rather speeding along instead of slowing down and getting into the right lane so that she could get on near the curb. I mean she ran from 22nd and Park for almost a good 4 blocks with him waiting in between lights here and there, so when was he planning on picking her up??? Was she supposed to run all the way down to the next stop (Broadway and 13th street) after he blew by the stop?? That's why I went to the front and made a stink because the point was okay, he made a mistake and missed the stop, no problem, it happens, but that passenger should not have to wait in the freezing cold for another 30 minutes because of that when he could pull over to the curb. My gut instinct told me that had I not went up there, he would've continued to the next stop and left her there running down the street in the cold, which was totally wrong after he had made a stink about safety and how he couldn't let her on there and probably that there was no stop there at 22nd and Park too, which there most certainly is one, which would explain why the lady that did force her way on the bus thanked me because they were probably arguing about that point. My feeling is that he blew by the stop, didn't realize it was a stop and then felt like these passengers were just running up to the bus haphazardly because they somehow missed it or something and were running it down, as if there wasn't a stop nearby, which was not the case, which was why he got all pissed about letting them on in the middle of the street to begin with.

And no, there were no emergency vehicles around and no other X10s because I had my phone with me tracking the buses on the X10. I think the problem is that sometimes B/Os on the express lines assume that folks aren't waiting for the bus and they will zoom by and occasionally they happen to guess wrong or they just don't realize there is a stop. I've see it happen a few times actually and the person was just **** out of luck. It happened to me once with the X30. A bunch of us are waiting there at 45th and 5th and the B/O just goes by the stop and I'm waiving my hand out like dude WTF?? There's a stop here!! :mad: He realizes that he screws up and then pulls over to the curb by where the local buses stop at to let us on. I get on and he's chuckling like something is funny all the while "apologizing" and I give him a look like "Oh so it's funny that you're the last bus of the night and you almost stranded a whole line of people trying to get home after a long workday??" :tdown:

So yeah, I sympathized with the lady and thought he should be a gentleman and do the right thing and make his way to the curb and let her on.

Even though I'm just re-hashing the book I wrote in response to your post...

The Q21 was not needed in Rockaway Park... it might not have been 'broken', but I can't say the Q21 was living up to its potential being massively overshadowed by the Q53 in Rockaway Park.

At first glance the Q21 doesn't seem like a route that needs a Limited at all but it's more than justifiable.

Playing around with BusTime: Why does the x31 run via Brooklyn in the morning and NJ in the afternoon? It's not like it makes morning stops in downtown...

That move was made years ago to help speed up the commutes of the X31 passengers. They complained about it esp. during the Verrazano bridge construction project.

Here's an article from 2007 that I remember reading back then that kind of explains the situation...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2007/11/traffic_anger_spurs_action.html

"Improvements to traffic flow in downtown Manhattan could allow more express bus routes to travel through the Holland Tunnel and through New Jersey, a move that could affect as many as nine routes and 143 trips a day, according to Councilman James Oddo. Passengers have reported much faster commutes after the first route, the X31, was switched last week."

We DON'T need a Q21 LTD, what we need is a Q60 LTD!!!

If those people in arverne want limited service, let them take the Q22 to Cross Bay Blvd and get a free transfer to the Q53. It seems like now the (MTA) is fixing things that ain't broke.

There's no need for a Q60 Limited. The Q60 has decent headways and it moves pretty well along Queens Boulevard. On top of that there are four subway alternatives just in case Q60 gets delayed. The Q21 serves an area that lacks a solid transportation infrastructure. The Q21 needs at limited variant because there is a demand for service.

That move was made years ago to help speed up the commutes of the X31 passengers. They complained about it esp. during the Verrazano bridge construction project.

Here's an article from 2007 that I remember reading back then that kind of explains the situation...

Traffic anger spurs action | SILive.com

"Improvements to traffic flow in downtown Manhattan could allow more express bus routes to travel through the Holland Tunnel and through New Jersey, a move that could affect as many as nine routes and 143 trips a day, according to Councilman James Oddo. Passengers have reported much faster commutes after the first route, the X31, was switched last week."

Then why didn't they switch it in both directions?

Then why didn't they switch it in both directions?

For the reason I mentioned before. The thought was that doing it this way would be quicker for the X31 commuters. During the Verrazano construction work I believe a good number if not all X31s were re-routed via NJ... At least the ones that would normally go via Brooklyn. Now that the work is done I believe they've reverted back to the old set up. Part of it could due to the way the SIE is set up... If you look at the map you can see how the X31 splits from Bradley Avenue...

For the reason I mentioned before. The thought was that doing it this way would be quicker for the X31 commuters. During the Verrazano construction work I believe a good number if not all X31s were re-routed via NJ... At least the ones that would normally go via Brooklyn. Now that the work is done I believe they've reverted back to the old set up. Part of it could due to the way the SIE is set up... If you look at the map you can see how the X31 splits from Bradley Avenue...

Originally, all X31s traveled via NJ, then when the bus lane on the SIE opened, they rerouted the X31 to take advantage of that. Then, when there was construction on the VZ Bridge, everybody complained about traffic, so it was rerouted via NJ in both directions.

Now, it travels via Brooklyn in the morning and NJ in the afternoon, which was never a setup (Are you sure it doesn't go via NJ in the morning and Brooklyn in the afternoon, Amtak? I can't open PDF files on this computer, so I can't check now)

If it's the way I think it is, it's probably because in the morning, the Lincoln Tunnel bus lane is open, so it's faster to go through there than to go through Brooklyn. In the afternoon, you have the SIE and Gowanus bus lanes, which probably make it faster to go through Brooklyn. That's just my opinion, though.

Originally, all X31s traveled via NJ, then when the bus lane on the SIE opened, they rerouted the X31 to take advantage of that. Then, when there was construction on the VZ Bridge, everybody complained about traffic, so it was rerouted via NJ in both directions.

Now, it travels via Brooklyn in the morning and NJ in the afternoon, which was never a setup (Are you sure it doesn't go via NJ in the morning and Brooklyn in the afternoon, Amtak? I can't open PDF files on this computer, so I can't check now)

If it's the way I think it is, it's probably because in the morning, the Lincoln Tunnel bus lane is open, so it's faster to go through there than to go through Brooklyn. In the afternoon, you have the SIE and Gowanus bus lanes, which probably make it faster to go through Brooklyn. That's just my opinion, though.

That's my thinking as well. Going via NJ can generally be quick because of the bus lane, but coming back via NJ can be a nightmare and the Gowanus is generally faster at that time because of the bus lane as you said. Furthermore, it is easier to jump on and off of the SIE HOV lane with this set up as well, which is what I was alluding to when talking about Bradley Ave. However, thinking further, I can't see taking 9th Avenue all the way down to the Battery Tunnel and then the bus lane on the Gowanus being that fast now and days, so the set up via NJ during the PM makes sense even with the delays in the Lincoln tunnel during the PM rush.

Yesterday worked out pretty well:

I just missed the S89, but the S44 came a couple of minutes later. (Speaking of which, the day before, I saw an S94 pull up behind it when we got to Walker Street/Trantor Place. It only had a couple of people, so I wonder what the deal was there. Normally the S94 stops running in the Port Richmond area around 07:30, and this was around 07:50-07:55. It'd be great for me if it was a regular trip, though I doubt it was)

I had to leave school early to go to Manhattan. The bell rings at 12:32, and there's an S46 at 12:31 that gets to St. George at 13:00. I heard it outside as I was still in class, and so I ran to Richmond Terrace, and a minute later, the S40 came. :tup: I got to the terminal with a few minutes to spare, so it worked out fine. As I was getting on the ferry, I saw a bus pull into the ramp, and I wonder if it was the S46 I missed. I wonder if the people onboard caught the ferry.

Then, I walked to Bowling Green, caught the (4) to Union Square and then the <6> (which for some reason said "Pelham Local) to 33rd Street. I walked along up to 34th Street, and an M34 pulled up, but I obviously didn't want to use up another ride, so I decided to race it. Other than jogging to try and catch some lights, I walked at a more-or-less normal speed and made it to 1st Avenue at the same time as the bus did.

Going back, my mom and I walked to Park Avenue South/26th Street (which still doesn't have the schedule for the X10/X17, even though BusTime was already implemented), and caught the X10B. I dozed off, but I heard somebody ask why he didn't use the service road, though I think it was just out of curiosity. I don't think he missed his stop.