BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yeah, I've seen it happen a couple of times (sometimes when the S46 was too crowded to board through the front, so the B/O opened up the back door). I think the B/O can put the knob in a certain position to keep the door open.

Its a switch on all buses (well the ones that have back doors) where the back doors will open on their own when you turn the handle to open the back doors.

Why do you think the SBS buses do it on their own...

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a switch on all buses (well the ones that have back doors) where the back doors will open on their own when you turn the handle to open the back doors.

Yeah, a while back, a B/O posted about how there's the 12 o'clock position, 1 o'clock position, and so on.

Yeah, a while back, a B/O posted about how there's the 12 o'clock position, 1 o'clock position, and so on.

There's 5 positions on the door handle, and they are (from back to front)...

-Rear and front door open

-Rear door open

-Closed

-Front door open

-Front and rear door open

Eh, that's somewhat correct, but actually when the handle is in front-and-rear door position (or just rear door), the back doors will only open automatically when the operator flips the touchbar bypass button, and must do so every time he wants to open those rear doors at will.

However, your scenario works on SBS buses. The LFSAs have a knob for SBS mode (which enables the flashing blue lights in front, and opens all doors automatically once handle is in the rear-and-front door position) and regular operation mode.

I'm getting so sick of farebeaters. Today getting off a B41 I see 3 people just enter the back of the bus at the junction. Where are the damn cops when you need them? POS people like that are part of the problem adding to the deficit by not paying for their fare.

Like that's anything new. I remember back in the 90s, these hoodlums would ride on top of the rear bumper of the bus to get where they are going without paying.

Eh, that's somewhat correct, but actually when the handle is in front-and-rear door position (or just rear door), the back doors will only open automatically when the operator flips the touchbar bypass button, and must do so every time he wants to open those rear doors at will.

However, your scenario works on SBS buses. The LFSAs have a knob for SBS mode (which enables the flashing blue lights in front, and opens all doors automatically once handle is in the rear-and-front door position) and regular operation mode.

Its pretty much the same thing, except for the blue light treatment, just a different name for it. I know on the C40s, that switch is called "rear door control" instead and it has 2 positions for driver (automatic) and passenger (push the door yourself lol)

I fear FR has reverted back to its GL days. The fabrics on all the seats are all coming apart at the seams and I still can't shake that 'encounter' with a bedbug on my bag some days back. They need to get rid of the covers and go with the hard plastic seats only. Today one of the handle bars that connects the seat to one of the poles was missing. Either this bus, a 3700, was sent out without being repaired or someone stole some parts, it's just inexcusable with the continuing deterioration with the buses imo....

On the plus side, tonight's B41 driver with a 9300 bus was nearly flying down FB. Too bad it was a local, but if not for that he was nearly flooring it to Kings Highway. It was awesome! So much better than a driver taking it slow even on limiteds, lol.

I went busfanning today. I took the S53-B8-B15-AirTrain-Q10 LTD-Q44-Bx40-Bx41 LTD-(5)-(4)-ferry-S92. I started out at about 9:30, and finished at 7:30PM (I wasn't expecting it to take that long)

I liked the B8 ride, especially as we went further east because it went on residential streets with very few traffic lights. The B15 ride was better than I expected. I thought the bus would crawl down New Lots Avenue, but we moved pretty well over there. And then once we got on Linden Blvd and the expressway, the B/O floored it.

The thing is that when we got off the expressway, I saw a building that looked like some kind of airline terminal, and a bunch of people got off, so I thought it was Terminal 5. Then I saw that there were people still on the bus, and I said "Shit, this is Lefferts Blvd, not Terminal 5". So I figured I might as well ride the AirTrain (the ride was slow. I bet that B15 would've went much faster). I rode it to Terminal 5 (I know the Q10 LTD stops at Lefferts, but there was another reason I went to Terminal 5. Plus I figured I might as well make the best of it and ride the AirTrain). So a bus was loading, but I didn't see a limited sign flashing on the back, so I thought it was a local and didn't bother running for it. Somebody else told me it was a limited, and I had another "Oh shit" moment.

But fortunately, another Q10 came and left within a few minutes. I rode it to Union Turnpike (that ride was pretty fast), and then walked over to Main Street for the Q44. I saw a sign that said Q44, but I didn't realize it said "Late Night Only" (they should've put it in black paint instead of blue), so I was wondering why the hell the Q44 just passed me. So then I found my way to the Union Turnpike stop (I didnt realize I was walking down 80th Avenue, not Union Turnpike). So the Q44 went pretty fast until we hit The Bronx. Then we basically crawled the rest of the route except between the Bruckner & Parkchester.

At Parkchester, the bus in front of us put all of its passengers on our bus (I don't know what the story was with that. I saw a dispatcher, and then another driver was talking about how he missed the bus he was supposed to relieve or something like that). I think the bus that was stopped was the bus I had missed back on Main Street.

I got off at Tremont Avenue, and there was a ton of traffic on there (I didn't realize the BxM10 spent a couple of blocks on Tremont). There was a Bx42 right behind the Bx40 I was on. Then for the rest of the route, we slowly made our way down Tremont (but at least traffic wasn't at a standstill like it was by Devoe). I got off at Webster and saw a Bx41 waiting at the light, but it was a local so I figured I'd be better off taking the limited (especially since this bus was full). Another local passed by (with maybe 3/4 of a seated load), and then finally a limited came.

It was weird that when I looked further south, it looked like there was a lot of traffic by the CBX, but when the bus passed by, there wasn't a whole lot. I'm going to be honest, when we got down to 168th Street, I'm pretty sure I heard shouting and gunshots. (This was between 167th & 168th, and I think it was around 4:30).

At 149th & 3rd, I just missed a (5), but the next one was in 4 minutes, so I figured no big deal. 2 (2) trains actually passed before the next (5) came. But the train just terminated at 149th & GC. :angry: I waited a couple of minutes, but then figured I'd be better off with the (4), so I went upstairs and caught it. There was a bunch of train traffic (which might've been the reason the (5) terminated there), so the train ended up like 20 minutes late (The schedule says it's supposed to take 28 minutes. I was expecting it to take about 40, but it took about 50). I originally intended to take the 5:45 ferry, but when the train came in at 5:50, I didn't bother (but I heard the horn sound as I was walking to the terminal, so if I caught the train in front and then ran, I could've made it)

And then the thing that really pissed me off: The 6:00 boat was cancelled because of mechanical problems. :angry: And then the 6:15 boat left late, so we ended up getting to St. George at 6:50. Well, at least the S92 ride somewhat made up for it, though I was still pissed at getting back over a half hour later then I should've. :angry:

So basically, the first half of the trip went very well. The second half, not so much.

I went busfanning today. I took the S53-B8-B15-AirTrain-Q10 LTD-Q44-Bx40-Bx41 LTD-(5)-(4)-ferry-S92. I started out at about 9:30, and finished at 7:30PM (I wasn't expecting it to take that long)

I liked the B8 ride, especially as we went further east because it went on residential streets with very few traffic lights. The B15 ride was better than I expected. I thought the bus would crawl down New Lots Avenue, but we moved pretty well over there. And then once we got on Linden Blvd and the expressway, the B/O floored it.

The thing is that when we got off the expressway, I saw a building that looked like some kind of airline terminal, and a bunch of people got off, so I thought it was Terminal 5. Then I saw that there were people still on the bus, and I said "Shit, this is Lefferts Blvd, not Terminal 5". So I figured I might as well ride the AirTrain (the ride was slow. I bet that B15 would've went much faster). I rode it to Terminal 5 (I know the Q10 LTD stops at Lefferts, but there was another reason I went to Terminal 5. Plus I figured I might as well make the best of it and ride the AirTrain). So a bus was loading, but I didn't see a limited sign flashing on the back, so I thought it was a local and didn't bother running for it. Somebody else told me it was a limited, and I had another "Oh shit" moment.

But fortunately, another Q10 came and left within a few minutes. I rode it to Union Turnpike (that ride was pretty fast), and then walked over to Main Street for the Q44. I saw a sign that said Q44, but I didn't realize it said "Late Night Only" (they should've put it in black paint instead of blue), so I was wondering why the hell the Q44 just passed me. So then I found my way to the Union Turnpike stop (I didnt realize I was walking down 80th Avenue, not Union Turnpike). So the Q44 went pretty fast until we hit The Bronx. Then we basically crawled the rest of the route except between the Bruckner & Parkchester.

At Parkchester, the bus in front of us put all of its passengers on our bus (I don't know what the story was with that. I saw a dispatcher, and then another driver was talking about how he missed the bus he was supposed to relieve or something like that). I think the bus that was stopped was the bus I had missed back on Main Street.

I got off at Tremont Avenue, and there was a ton of traffic on there (I didn't realize the BxM10 spent a couple of blocks on Tremont). There was a Bx42 right behind the Bx40 I was on. Then for the rest of the route, we slowly made our way down Tremont (but at least traffic wasn't at a standstill like it was by Devoe). I got off at Webster and saw a Bx41 waiting at the light, but it was a local so I figured I'd be better off taking the limited (especially since this bus was full). Another local passed by (with maybe 3/4 of a seated load), and then finally a limited came.

It was weird that when I looked further south, it looked like there was a lot of traffic by the CBX, but when the bus passed by, there wasn't a whole lot. I'm going to be honest, when we got down to 168th Street, I'm pretty sure I heard shouting and gunshots. (This was between 167th & 168th, and I think it was around 4:30).

At 149th & 3rd, I just missed a (5), but the next one was in 4 minutes, so I figured no big deal. 2 (2) trains actually passed before the next (5) came. But the train just terminated at 149th & GC. :angry: I waited a couple of minutes, but then figured I'd be better off with the (4), so I went upstairs and caught it. There was a bunch of train traffic (which might've been the reason the (5) terminated there), so the train ended up like 20 minutes late (The schedule says it's supposed to take 28 minutes. I was expecting it to take about 40, but it took about 50). I originally intended to take the 5:45 ferry, but when the train came in at 5:50, I didn't bother (but I heard the horn sound as I was walking to the terminal, so if I caught the train in front and then ran, I could've made it)

And then the thing that really pissed me off: The 6:00 boat was cancelled because of mechanical problems. :angry: And then the 6:15 boat left late, so we ended up getting to St. George at 6:50. Well, at least the S92 ride somewhat made up for it, though I was still pissed at getting back over a half hour later then I should've. :angry:

So basically, the first half of the trip went very well. The second half, not so much.

lmfaoo u was tight from the 5 all the way home lol

Went over to LaGuardia today, and got stopped by a Port Authority cop. To my surprise he actually didn't tell me to stop taking pictures, which is typical PAPD. Apparently I was "making people nervous", though I didn't see anyone report me to the cop who was standing nearby. At least the guy was nice...

Just warning anyone planning on busfanning at LGA, my advice: don't stay too long and don't take pictures if you see the PAPD nearby.

That is the general rule. Take your few pics and keep moving. I never stand in the same spot for more than a minute especially near a bus depot. Now if this was at a general bus stop, it's up to you.

I usually don't care about sitting around taking pics at most spots in the city, hell I've done it in front of the NYPD plenty of times. I guess it's just the wonderful PA at work as usual.

Went over to LaGuardia today, and got stopped by a Port Authority cop. To my surprise he actually didn't tell me to stop taking pictures, which is typical PAPD. Apparently I was "making people nervous", though I didn't see anyone report me to the cop who was standing nearby. At least the guy was nice...

Just warning anyone planning on busfanning at LGA, my advice: don't stay too long and don't take pictures if you see the PAPD nearby.

I used to take pictures over there a lot they didn't bother me. He probably said that for the fact that it's near an airport maybe? Edited by ciboii22

im not trying to rush it...im not FEENING over it...and im not foaming over it or trolling...its just a simple question

whats with 4899? i mean...someone on here must know about it...it was at Zerega...etc...then nothing happened? im just curious to why its not staying at CAS...

i dont want no smart comments...just a question to answer....i dont want to here no "JUST WAIT AND SEE" please